Short Story Connect discussion

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Harsh (new)

Harsh Gupta (harshg162) | 75 comments I'm writing one story...struck in between of story..pLZ help.
It's about a Mayor trying get rid of a fly in his office.
He had done everything pest control etc.
Mayor is thinking it is some robotic bug placed by opposition party.
Recently he took help of an investigation team to catch fly, but haven't found it in his office.

NOW that's where I got struck...PLZ help me to proceed the story.

message 2: by Lora (new)

Lora (lorabanora) Ask yourself some questions: does finding the fly work for the plot? Does NOT finding the fly work for the plot? Does it increase tension or add mystery to the story?
Then consider ways to find the fly/stop the fly: maybe a device to detect other devices in the room? Or is there place for humor in your story and you can have three assistants chasing the thing around the office with fly swatters?
Maybe a spy fly only has so much energy and it drops dead on the window sill and the cleaning lady is about to sweep it up when the mayor spots it and stops her.

message 3: by Robert (new)

Robert Roberts (goodreadscomrobertroberts) The fly only lives in his mind, and it tells him to do evil things. He is totally insane, like most politicians.

message 4: by Harsh (new)

Harsh Gupta (harshg162) | 75 comments Lora wrote: "Ask yourself some questions: does finding the fly work for the plot? Does NOT finding the fly work for the plot? Does it increase tension or add mystery to the story?
Then consider ways to find the..."

a great help...thanks a lot
I'm thinking of making fly an excuse for Mayor. Who is trying to ignore his work.
is it good?

message 5: by Harsh (new)

Harsh Gupta (harshg162) | 75 comments Robert wrote: "The fly only lives in his mind, and it tells him to do evil things. He is totally insane, like most politicians."

I thought of same, except fly is real.

message 6: by Adam (new)

Adam Mawer | 66 comments Harsh wrote: "I'm writing one story...struck in between of story..pLZ help.
Mayor is thinking it is some robotic..."

I honestly cannot wait to read this :)

message 7: by Harsh (new)

Harsh Gupta (harshg162) | 75 comments Adam wrote: "Harsh wrote: "I'm writing one story...struck in between of story..pLZ help.
Mayor is thinking it i..."

You got it bro....posted two days back.
Forget to share link here. Sorry :p

http://carvingfiction.blogspot.in/201...

Enjoy Reading!
PLZ share your feedback.

message 8: by Carla (new)

Carla (cjsarett) | 51 comments If you do finish it, there is a literary journal, The Journal of Etymology (sp?) that publishes BUG stories. Take it off your blog. Polish it & submit -- I think the deadline is August 15? You can find journal on Duotrope Digest.

message 9: by Harsh (new)

Harsh Gupta (harshg162) | 75 comments Carla wrote: "If you do finish it, there is a literary journal, The Journal of Etymology (sp?) that publishes BUG stories. Take it off your blog. Polish it & submit -- I think the deadline is August 15? You can..."

thanks for the suggestion but I want to ask if it worths?...because requires to pay 5$ each month for the subscription....which is equal to 300 bugs in my currency, which is costly for me being a student.

message 10: by Carla (new)

Carla (cjsarett) | 51 comments There is no fee to submit to a magazine. Not sure what you mean by $5 a month.

message 11: by Adam (new)

Adam Mawer | 66 comments Harsh wrote: "Adam wrote: "Harsh wrote: "I'm writing one story...struck in between of story..pLZ help.
Mayor is ..."

Nice work Harsh! Keep writing. You should check out some of the contests posted in this group. There are always contests from a variety of genres looking for submissions. Most have a fee but it's usually not too bad. :D

message 12: by Harsh (new)

Harsh Gupta (harshg162) | 75 comments Adam wrote: "Harsh wrote: "Adam wrote: "Harsh wrote: "I'm writing one story...struck in between of story..pLZ help.
He had done everything pest control ..."

Thanks Adam. I'll check them.

message 13: by Lura (new)

Lura (luraj2612) | 1464 comments Mod
Carla wrote: "There is no fee to submit to a magazine. Not sure what you mean by $5 a month."

Duotrope Digest costs so much per month. I'm unemployed, so no account for me either. (If I didn't have to give credit card info for the 14-day free trial, maybe.)

message 14: by Carla (new)

Carla (cjsarett) | 51 comments There are many other directories of magazines. I mentioned Duotrope because I subscribe -- you can google to find the journal in question.

message 15: by Harsh (new)

Harsh Gupta (harshg162) | 75 comments Carla wrote: "There are many other directories of magazines. I mentioned Duotrope because I subscribe -- you can google to find the journal in question."

thanks for sharing info.

message 16: by Lura (new)

Lura (luraj2612) | 1464 comments Mod
Carla wrote: "There are many other directories of magazines. I mentioned Duotrope because I subscribe -- you can google to find the journal in question."

I was just trying to explain the $5 Harsh mentioned earlier. You seemed confused by it. ^_^

I use google all the time to search for stuff. (Especially when doing research.)