I Read Comic Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
BotM Nominations > Nominations for April Book of the Month

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kate (new)

Kate (kgskocelas) | 570 comments Mod
What trade should we read together for our April Comic Book of the Month? Nominate your pick here!

This month's theme is "writer and/or artist is female".

Titles nominated this month must be written and/or penciled by a woman. If you have any questions or concerns, please send a message to mod Kate, who is happy to help. You can find the complete 2018 theme calendar here.

Remember:
- Nominated titles must be TPB comics or original graphic novels.
- Only the first volume of a series may be nominated, unless the group has already read the previous volume(s) as a book of the month. To see what we've read, check out our group's bookshelf.
- Nominated titles cannot have the same writer as the previous month's BotM winner. This month that's Dan Slott.
- Nominated titles must fit the month's theme. To see past and upcoming themes, check out the 2018 theme calendar.
- Only one nomination per person.
- You can "second" a nomination in place of nominating a different book, but this will count as your nomination for the month. Seconded books will receive an additional chance of being selected in the randomization process.
- If a title you nominate wins BotM, please refrain from nominating another title for one month to give others a chance.

Nomination & Voting Schedule:
To better accommodate our increasing number of members, the nomination and voting schedule is as follows every month:

16th: Nomination forum opens
23rd: Nomination forum closes; 5 nominations are selected at random; Voting opens
30th: Voting closes

More details on our updated nomination and voting procedures can be found here.

message 2: by Kate (last edited Mar 16, 2018 04:22PM) (new)

Robert wrote: "Monstress, Vol. 1: Awakening"

Great pick! Unfortunately, volume 1 was our BotM for Dec. 2016, so it can't be nominated again. Would you like to nominate Monstress, Vol. 2: The Blood?

message 3: by Kate (last edited Mar 16, 2018 04:25PM) (new)

Dominick wrote: "SAGA Vol. 8. Solid read with characters that have substance and nothing in common with tropes!"

Saga is so good! Since we haven't read any of the other volumes of the series as a group, only the first volume may be nominated. Would you like to nominate Saga, Vol. 1?

message 4: by Robert (new)

Robert | 46 comments Kate wrote: "Great pick! Unfortunately, volume 1 was our BotM for Dec. 2016, so it can't be nominated again. Would you like to nominate [book:Monstr..."

I just noticed that. :-(
Let me think about it. There may be something I'd pitch before Monstress Vol 2.

message 6: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 98 comments I am goin' old school on everyone. I nominate Marie Severin's Doctor Strange:

Marvel Masterworks: Doctor Strange, Vol. 2

message 7: by 47Time (new)

47Time | 19 comments Through the Woods by Emily Carroll.

It's not really my cup of tea, but I'm sure others can enjoy it.

message 8: by Christian (new)

Christian Miller | 10 comments Ms. Marvel, Vol. 1: No Normal by G. Willow Wilson.

message 9: by Mike, Host & Producer of IRCB! (last edited Mar 17, 2018 02:01PM) (new)

message 10: by Kate (new)

47Time wrote: "Through the Woods by Emily Carroll.

It's not really my cup of tea, but I'm sure others can enjoy it."

I thought the art was really cool on some of the stories.

message 11: by Kate (last edited Mar 18, 2018 04:43PM) (new)

Christopher wrote: "I am goin' old school on everyone. I nominate Marie Severin's Doctor Strange:

Marvel Masterworks: Doctor Strange, Vol. 2"

This looks cool! Typically we only allow volume 1 of a series to be nominated unless we have read the preceding volumes as a group. I know the Masterworks series renumbers stuff sometimes though, stuffing what were originally the start of new series into later masterworks volumes. Is that the case here?

message 12: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 98 comments Kate wrote: "This looks cool! Typically we only allo..."

Severin recalled in 2001 that when Esquire magazine requested an artist to illustrate a story "on the college drug culture", Marvel production manager Sol Brodsky offered Severin rather than one of the regular artists, who were on deadline. Her illustration for the magazine led to Marvel editor-in-chief Stan Lee to assign her the feature "Doctor Strange" in Strange Tales, replacing Bill Everett,[17] who had succeeded character co-creator Steve Ditko. With Lee, Severin co-created the fictional cosmic entity the Living Tribunal in Strange Tales #157 (June 1967).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_S...

Thanks for the interest, Kate.

I think the Masterworks is meant to be an 'archive,' and therefore will collect every appearance of a character (including cross-overs).

Surely, the Marie Severin "run" would count as a 'first run' today.

Strange Tales #153-160 (artist) (1967)

Doctor Strange's first appearance was Strange Tales 125, and the first issue of Doctor Strange was 169.

This is an interesting article about Strange Tales:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strange...

(Well, interesting to some... :P)

Don't know if I'm making my case or just filibustering.

message 13: by Paul (new)

Paul (ohhipaulie) | 38 comments Mother Panic, Volume 1: Work in Progress
Written by Jody Houser.
Violet Paige is a celebrity debutante who moonlights as the vigilante Mother Panic in Gotham City. This is an interesting twist on the Batman mythos with some amazing art from Tommy Lee Edwards and Shawn Crystal.

message 14: by Kate (new)

Christopher wrote: "Surely, the Marie Severin "run" would count as a 'first run' today...."

Thanks for all the info. This sounds like it counts :)

message 16: by Frederico (new)

Frederico Ramos | 1 comments Pretty deadly vol. 1

message 17: by Rambling (new)

Rambling Redshirt | 1 comments Lumberjanes, Vol. 1: Beware the Kitten Holy by Noelle Stevenson
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 19: by Christopher (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 98 comments Another Marie Severin 'run' is $.99 today:

Incredible Hulk Masterworks Vol. 4 (Incredible Hulk (1962-1999)) by Gary Friedrich

(I know this belongs in Deals and Sales, but hey, it's women in comics. And I think the Dr. Strange would be more interesting, so I'm not switiching noms)

message 20: by Christopher (last edited Mar 22, 2018 01:00PM) (new)

Christopher (Donut) | 98 comments And that is one iconic cover:

eta: Oops, but I see it's by Jim Steranko, not Marie Severin.

message 21: by Chad (new)

Chad | 665 comments Paul wrote: "Mother Panic, Volume 1: Work in Progress
Written by Jody Houser.
Violet Paige is a celebrity debutante who moonlights as the vigilante Mother Panic in Gotham City. This is an inter..."

I kind of hated this book which is disappointing considering how much I liked Houser's run on Faith.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.