Clean Reads discussion

Is It Clean? > book club books screening

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meghan (new)

Meghan | 1 comments This is our list of books for the year, just curious if anyone can give me a heads up as to which, if any I should pass on for inappropriate content or language.
Watchers by Dean Koontz
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman
Gris Grimm's Tales from the Brother Grimm by Jacob Grimm
Me Before You by Jojo Moyes
Alas Babylon by Pat Frank
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betsy Smith

Thank you for your insights, I really appreciate it! I hate wasting my time getting into a book I'll just have to put down.

message 2: by Josie (new)

Josie (josiebeth) | 2 comments My friend’s review of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn says it has extreme language and sexual content.

message 3: by Carolyn (last edited Mar 17, 2018 08:57AM) (new)

Carolyn | 13 comments According to everything I have heard/read about Jojo Moyes' books, you will probably want to pass on that one. Definitely inappropriate content and language.

message 4: by Debra (new)

Debra | 3 comments I read Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank three years ago. I don't remember any foul language in it. I've flipped through it to see if any noticeable foul language stands out but didn't see any. No sexual content as far as I remember. This book was first published in 1959 so foul language and explicit sex was not the norm in novels during that time. Hope this helps. I remember I did enjoy the book.

message 5: by C. (new)

C. | 297 comments Josie wrote: "My friend’s review of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn says it has extreme language and sexual content."

Thank you, after reading a couple of similar 1-star reviews at Amazon, I have deleted this book from my TBR list!

message 6: by C. (new)

C. | 297 comments Carolyn wrote: "According to everything I have heard/read about Jojo Moyes' books, you will probably want to pass on that one. Definitely inappropriate content and language."

I have read the same thing in 1-2 star reviews at Amazon.

message 7: by Ken (new)

Ken | 56 comments Scoring from 0-5 (with 5 being on the undesirable end) I rated Alas, Babylon 0 for profanity, 1 for violence, and a 0.5 for sex. I haven't read any of the others.

message 8: by Tina (new)

Tina | 1 comments We just read Elinor Oliphant and it’s a great book but does have quite a few f-words and some other profanity but our book club still loved it.

message 9: by C. (new)

C. | 297 comments Tina wrote: "We just read Elinor Oliphant and it’s a great book but does have quite a few f-words and some other profanity but our book club still loved it."

Wow, thanks for the heads up, just cancelled my library reserve for it!

message 10: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (bookwormhannah) | 103 comments Grimm brothers is high on violence. If you get the unabridged or original versions, there is some pretty warped stuff in those stories.

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (rdlevee) | 22 comments C. wrote: "Josie wrote: "My friend’s review of A Tree Grows in Brooklyn says it has extreme language and sexual content."

Thank you, after reading a couple of similar 1-star reviews at Amazon, I have deleted..."

I read A Tree Grows in Brooklyn and don't remember it having much bad language. Definitely not "extreme language". Maybe it's a difference in reader's ideas of what language is objectionable?There was minor sexual content. I'd rate the book as PG to PG-13.

message 12: by Carinne (new)

Carinne Gee | 7 comments I disagree with A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. It’s a fabulous book. I’ve read it 3 times. There are no f words..sone language but not extreme by any means. There is a scene when she’s attacked by a child molester and he exposes himself to her. Then there is a part towards the end where she’s thinking about sleeping with a guy. But doesn’t. Her father is a drunk but not a mean drunk. Her aunt works in a condom factory but no one can really say that. It’s not squeaky clean but I’d have no problem with my teenagers reading it. Or recommending it to others. I have many friends who are all very careful about what we read, who all love it.