eBook Miner discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
EBM Book of the Month! > EBM BOTM AUGUST

Comments Showing 1-50 of 74 (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by eBook (last edited Jul 24, 2014 03:30AM) (new)

eBook Miner (ebookminer) | 544 comments Mod
How it works

1. August 1st - 7th Title submissions are posted. Submission guidelines allow for a maximum of 500 words and your books title only. As the shortlisted books will be judged purely on this post it is recommended that the authors think outside the box (no posts to other websites, good reads link only) and post something which draws people in and gives enough away to leave everyone wanting more!

2. August 8th the 3 shortlisted/finalists will be announced (selected by the EBM team) - NOW, LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

3. August 8th - 15th EBM members vote for the title they feel best represents our groups 'book of the month' here's the important part ***IF YOU VOTE FOR A TITLE & IT WINS, YOU MUST READ & REVIEW IT FOR THE AUTHOR!*** We understand sometimes "life" gets in the way but we don't want this to be habitual, if you can't commit to reviewing your choice, please don't vote.

4. August 16th Winning title announced based on tallied votes. The author provides everyone with a copy of their book (pdf/mobi/epub format depending on what the reviewer needs from these formats). Any other formats at discretion of author. If you are an author and don't know how to format your book to this format, we will do it for you.

5. Members have 2 weeks to read/review the book for the winning author!

6. EBM itself will support the winner by promoting their book on our Facebook page (18,000+ followers) our Twitter page (50,000 followers) and on our Goodreads group & Newsletter (1,500 members and growing!)

Nominate the book you want to read below, the AUTHOR MUST BE A MEMBER OF OUR GROUP and THE AUTHOR MUST NOT BE PUBLISHED BY A MAJOR PUBLISHING HOUSE/COMPANY.

Further details were recently published in the end of July Newsletter, if you have any questions, please pm us directly. Thanks!

message 2: by Libby (new)

Libby Excellent idea. Fingers crossed it works!

Lyn (Readinghearts) (lsmeadows) I think it is a great idea, too!

message 4: by eBook (new)

Nominate your book guys, or a book you like from an author in our group. If you have an author you know who isn't part of this group, you can invite them and they/you can nominate their book. We will continue trying to come up with ideas to build a stronger community.

message 5: by Libby (new)

Libby OK. I'll nominate NOBODY'S CHILD, my newest crime thriller which comes out (just in time!) on August 15:

A bloodstained note left for PI Georgia Davis reveals the shocking existence of a half-sister she never knew about. Her sister, Savannah, is pregnant and begging for Georgia’s help. Determined to track her down, Georgia finds herself heading deep into the secretive and dangerous underworld of Chicago’s illegal sex trafficking business. She soon discovers that trafficking is just a small part of the horrifying and deadly situation in which her new sister is caught up. Even worse, as Georgia tries to extricate Savannah, she comes up against an old enemy determined to make sure neither woman will escape alive. In the fourth Georgia Davis novel, Georgia faces her toughest challenge yet—and one she might not survive.

Nobody's Child (Georgia Davis #4) by Libby Fischer Hellmann

message 6: by Maxine (new)

Maxine (Booklover Catlady) (booklovercatlady) | 13 comments Libby, that sounds like my type of book!

message 7: by Libby (new)

Libby I'm delighted, Maxine. WIll hope you like it. And thanks for the connection... let's stay in touch.

message 8: by Mae (new)

Mae East Somebody's been spending time in the thinking tank! :-)
I am so in! I love the idea of helping out other indie authors! Can't wait to get started!

message 9: by eBook (new)

We have our first definite nomination, I am hoping we will get a few more! I am sure we will!

message 10: by Michael (new)

Michael Peck (michaelalanpeck) | 12 comments I'll nominate my contemporary fantasy The Commons: Book 1: The Journeyman, which I published last month:

“Paul Reid died in the snow at seventeen. The day of his death, he told a lie—and for the rest of his life, he wondered if that was what killed him.”

And so begins the battle for the afterlife, known as The Commons. It’s been taken over by a corporate raider who uses the energy of its souls to maintain his brutal control. The result is an imaginary landscape of a broken America—stuck in time and overrun by the heroes, monsters, dreams, and nightmares of the imprisoned dead.

Three people board a bus to nowhere: a New York street kid, an Iraq War veteran, and her five-year-old special-needs son. After a horrific accident, they are the last, best hope for The Commons to free itself. Along for the ride are a shotgun-toting goth girl, a six-foot-six mummy, a mute Shaolin monk with anger-management issues, and the only guide left to lead them.

Three Journeys: separate but joined. One mission: to save forever.

But first they have to save themselves.

The Commons Book 1 The Journeyman by Michael Alan Peck

message 11: by Peggy (new)

Peggy Rothschild | 30 comments I'll throw my thriller into the ring as well...

Clementine's Shadow
After moving to the California High Desert for a new start, Deputy Casey Lang faces a hard truth: She must work through her fear of shooting another child or kiss her career goodbye. The disappearance of a six-year-old girl from a summer concert puts Casey's resolve to the test. Casey hunts for a predator in a scorched landscape of played out silver mines and dry riverbeds. As the temperature rises, three unlikely heroes emerge to help.

http://amzn.to/18xbaj2

message 12: by eBook (new)

We have a couple more, fantastic! There is still plenty more time for nominations.

message 13: by H.L. (last edited Jul 28, 2014 12:26PM) (new)

H.L. Carpenter | 5 comments We'll nominate Dream Stealer, our YA fantasy novelette.

Is stealing a dream better than losing your own?

Ever wonder what became of the dreams you once had? Fancy Moonstruck can tell you.

Fancy is supposed to steal dreams. It’s what her family does for a living, and now that she’s fifteen, the job is hers.

It’s a job she’d rather not have. She knows first-hand what dreams mean to the dreamer because she dreams of her mom, who died five years ago. Losing her dream would be like losing her mom all over again. That's a pain Fancy doesn't want to inflict on anyone.

But the rules are clear: Steal a dream—or lose her own.

Dream Stealer by H.L. Carpenter

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

http://www.amazon.com/Dream-Stealer-H...

Note: Dream Stealer is a stand-alone G-rated YA fantasy novelette of approximately 8,400 words.

message 14: by Jeff (new)

Jeff Bauer (jeffbauer) | 3 comments My submission: Sadie Sapiens

Sadie Sapiens is the story of Emma, a shy and insecure high schooler whose discovery of a tiny smart dog, Sadie, helps her deal with life’s challenges, creating a unique bond of intelligence and love.

Emma, trying to avoid her overbearing mother and jerk of a younger brother, discovers her new puppy really understands her. They create a secret spoken language, Doglish, that draws them closer together and helps protect Emma from the pain of growing young love and a family that is falling apart.

message 15: by eBook (new)

Hi Jeff, please put a link to the book.

thanks

message 16: by Mae (last edited Jul 29, 2014 03:54PM) (new)

Mae East First, I must warn readers about my book for submission. It is a tragic love story so it may not be for everyone. I feel you should know this upfront to avoid you hating me later. ;)

Where The Wheat Blows:

The Second World War may be over, but for Katherine Thompson other battles are only beginning. When she marries Robert, the only man she has ever loved, her life changes forever. She finds herself living the perfect dream with the perfect man. A man she loves completely and in return loves her just the same, or so she believes. However Robert has another love stirring in his soul, a dark calling lures him toward a dangerous woman.

Katherine sees the threat, but her fight only deepens when a devious yet charming business man befriends her for his own desires. Unknowingly she and Robert become targets of a deceitful plan, thrusting Katherine and her perfect life face to face with the devil inside.

message 17: by Archer (last edited Aug 01, 2014 10:24PM) (new)

Archer Swift (archerswift) | 4 comments Thanks for providing this opportunity for flagrant self-promotion!

Eden, Dawn (The Chronicles of Paradise, Book #1)

Thought I'd add the book's Prologue (since the synopsis is available at the link below).

"It still filled my nights with horror.
The panic, the hysteria. The unadulterated fear.
The rising temperatures, unbearable heat. Scorching hot.
The hunger, the thirst. Desperation.
The rising oceans. Floods, landslides, tragedies.
Riots, violence and war.
Sickness, disease. The Plague.

Then the usual bittersweet images followed, bombarding my troubled mind.
The covert selection, the public meltdown.
The relief, the despair.
Our arrival, the horror.
Love sparked, love lost.
The memory of her face, fading fast.
Monix.
My first love. My only love.

Every night, for nearly ten years, sleep had eluded me; peace beyond my grasp.
Drenched with sweat despite the cool night air.
Why me? Why us? Were we lucky?
At first, we thought so.
But the sheer terror that stalked our nights and the utter exhaustion that drained our days made me think otherwise.
After enduring the dark hours, we spent the light hours foraging for food. We were constantly on guard. Always alert. Terrified of the man-eating creatures that roamed this brutal planet ... and them.
Perhaps we were paying for abandoning Earth to her fate.
Sleep, please let me sleep. Just a few hours."

Eden, Dawn (The Chronicles of Paradise, #1) by Archer Swift

221 words, over and out! (Thanks again!)

message 18: by eBook (last edited Jul 30, 2014 04:44AM) (new)

A few more days ebook miners, and then we will progress to the next step!

message 19: by Marc (new)

Marc Estes | 7 comments I would like to submit Four Pieces For Power. Check out the trailer on my goodreads page.

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show...

When mysterious strangers arrive at the home of Andrew Correo, they provide him with life changing news. He learns of the Vedicatori, a secret organization established by his ancestors, an organization he now has the chance to inherit control over. In order to gain this control, he needs to compete with Robert Stavero in a global scavenger hunt. They must search for four illusive crystals that, when brought together, will tell them their final destination. Also in Edson, Monica Correo is planning a wedding to her love, John Weaver. With the wedding so close to Halloween, the pair decide to have a masquerade ball for the wedding reception. It will be an event no one in Edson will ever forget. With just a clue and limited guidance, both Andrew and Robert set out on their secretive journey. For both, the path leads to mystery, suspense, and self-discovery. As Andrew looks forward to his future, while putting parts of his past behind him, Robert grows greedy and develops a love for deception and hate. The hunt brings them through the ruins of Teotihuacan to the Eternal City and its history, but who will have the cunning to come out on top?

message 20: by Alex (new)

Alex Pauley | 13 comments I would like to submit Making through life.
Please read the reviews I've gotten so far before judging it :)

message 21: by Morris (last edited Aug 07, 2014 10:52AM) (new)

Morris Graham (morris_g) I nominate my book.
Graham, Morris E. "Warzone: Nemesis."
Warzone Nemesis by Morris E. Graham

Currently a 4.27 rating on goodreads with 11 reviews. 4.6 out of 5 stars on Amazon with 7 reviews.

Review from Bill C. on Amazon:

This book convincingly demonstrates that Morris Graham is a very imaginative and gifted storyteller - a soldier's storyteller. To say that he is in his element vividly describing Cold War combat operations on the Moon and Mars is a gross understatement. He is equally in his element when he moves story and readers to a Navajo reservation, the jungles of Vietnam, a secret training center for American military personnel, space travel, and a blistering boxing match on Mars between this novel's American hero and his Soviet nemesis. His characters (American and Soviet) are consistently multidimensional and repeatedly surprise us with their development."

From "Warzone: Nemesis"
A humming noise was moving from higher elevations toward the stand of grass where Ben was moving his flock. He arrived at the grass field to the excited barking of the dogs and the noises of his unsettled flock. The intensity of the humming increased to nearly intolerable levels as a large spherical object made of metal came crashing through the branches of the juniper trees surrounding the grass field, settling down hard on the grass which had been meant for the flock’s morning grazing. The dogs responded to the intruder by sounding their threat alarm with short, low-pitched sounding barks, standing their ground between the object and the flock. Some of the goats had gone back down the trail, but the sheep stayed put and looked confused. Sheep are real stupid, thought Ben. In his young life he’d never seen anything like this. As Ben approached the vessel, the dogs stayed close by his side, showing their teeth and growling. The growling increased in intensity, and the hair on their backs stood straight up as they approached the vessel. Ben shared the dog’s distrust for the object—his heart pounded in his chest like a runaway horse and every nerve in his body was on high alert.

As Ben approached the vessel, the dogs stayed close by his side, showing their teeth and growling. The growling increased in intensity, and the hair on their backs stood straight up as they approached the vessel. Ben shared the dog’s distrust for the object—his heart pounded in his chest like a runaway horse and every nerve in his body was on high alert. He cautiously approached the vessel with his two guards and his staff in hand. The vessel had a door slightly ajar, so Ben peered inside. His eyes met Rick-Bar’s, who was barely still alive. The ship’s first officer gazed into the young Earth man’s eyes with his pain-filled yellow eyes, and recognized that he had a good heart.

“Yá’át’ééh,” the sky traveler greeted him in Navajo. Or did he? His lips never moved. Bluish blood trickled down the being’s mouth. Had he truly spoken to him, or was Ben dreaming? If he was speaking Navajo and was not one of the Diné, was he Yei? (a god). Ben remembered his manners.

“Yá’át’ééh,” the boy answered. The being was dying and was greatly out of harmony. He shared his burden with the boy, not unlike a parishioner making his confession to his priest. This sky traveler was in great pain, but his tears were for his dead wife and the shame of failing to do his duty. Ben felt empathy for the poor alien. The dying first officer felt that empathy, and it gave him comfort and courage to greet death. Ben’s eyes remained fixed on Rik-Bar’s until the clear yellow eyes glazed over and stared into the void, unseeing. Ben decided that he was not a god, for everyone knew that gods did not die...

message 22: by Massimo (last edited Aug 04, 2014 05:04AM) (new)

Massimo Marino | 8 comments I nominate Once Humans, Finalist at the 2014 Readers' Favorite Book Awards in Science Fiction category.

https://readersfavorite.com/2014-fina...

Once Humans by Massimo Marino

"Author Massimo Marino has clearly not put character development on hold in between Once Humans and the previous book, Daimones. Both the characters and the world around them have undergone a literal evolution over the elapsed time between the two books, and it goes to show just how thoughtful Marino has been in crafting the universe of this trilogy.

While this may not be another pop culture phenomenon with a confusing expanded universe, the world of Eridu and the history of the Moirai appears to be expansive enough that such a phenomenon would be easily possible. The story and characters are compelling enough that fans of movies, television, and comics might wonder if there are any plans for an adaptation of the series. In some ways, this gem of science fiction literature appears to be above that. This is in no small part due to the complexity of the themes presented regarding human nature, which make the themes in a thought-provoking series such as The Walking Dead seem almost trite.

One of the most fantastic feats of this novel is that it appears the average reader could pick this up with no knowledge of the previous book and still enjoy it for what it is. With the seven-year time lapse and the immense amount of development on the world of Eridu in that time, this story reads as less of a post-apocalyptic adventure and more as an exploration of a burgeoning civilization still in its infancy. Rarely does a sequel shine so well both on its own and as part of an epic trilogy that any reader who’s made it this far will be itching to finish (yet secretly hoping that it never ends)."

message 23: by Jeff (last edited Aug 04, 2014 05:09AM) (new)

Jeff Bauer (jeffbauer) | 3 comments eBook wrote: "Hi Jeff, please put a link to the book.

thanks"

Here's the link:
Sadie Sapiens
Sadie Sapiens by Jeff Bauer

message 24: by Alan (last edited Aug 04, 2014 05:12AM) (new)

Alan Spade | 3 comments I'd like to nominate my Fantasy book Ardalia: The Breath of Aoles

“An extraordinary book; easily 5 stars…..It contains a rich, unique world, the likes of which I have never read.” -S. Morris

Pelmen hates being a tanner, but that’s all he would ever be, thanks to the rigid caste system amongst his people, the hevelens. Then he meets Master Galn Boisencroix and his family. The master carpenter opens up a world of archery to young Pelmen, who excels at his newfound skill. But Pelmen’s intractable father will have none of it, and tries to force Pelmen to stay in the tannery.
One day, however, Pelmen’s best friend and Master Galn’s son, Teleg, disappears. Lured away by the prospect of untold riches through mining amberrock, the most precious substance in the world, Teleg finds himself a prisoner of the Nylevs, fierce fire-wielding worshippers of the god of destruction.
Now Pelmen must leave all he knows behind, overcome his fears and travel across the land, in search of his childhood friend. Along the way, he will ally himself with strange and fantastic beings: a shaman who controls the Breath of Aoles, or the power of the wind, a krongos, a creature of the mineral realm who can become living rock, and a malian, adept at water magic.

Ardalia The Breath of Aoles (Book One) by Alan Spade

message 25: by A.D. (new)

A.D. Koboah (adkoboah) | 3 comments Hi everyone

I'd like to nominate Dark Genesis my unconventional Paranormal, Historical, Romance which has a very strong female lead.

Life for a female slave is one of hardship and unspeakable sorrow, something Luna knows only too well. But not even she could have foreseen the terror that would befall her one sultry Mississippi evening in the summer of 1807.

On her way back from a visit to see the African woman, a witch who has the herbs Luna needs to rid her of her abusive master’s child, she attracts the attention of a deadly being that lusts for blood. Forcibly removed from everything she knows by this tormented otherworldly creature, she is sure she will be dead by sunrise.

Dark Genesis is a love story set against the savage world of slavery in which a young woman who has been dehumanised by its horrors finds the courage to love, and in doing so, reclaims her humanity.

Dark Genesis (The Darkling Trilogy, #1) by A.D. Koboah

message 26: by Edward (new)

Edward Wolfe (edwardmwolfe) | 4 comments I'd like to nominate my new novel. It's unusual and hard to describe without spoilers. But I'll try.

Kendra's Spirit by Edward M. Wolfe

Kendra is a young journalist who has an unfortunate encounter with an even younger terrorist. Both of their lives are negatively impacted by the war in Iraq. At home in the U.S., Keith struggles to find a way to keep Kendra from being killed.

message 27: by Jean (new)

Jean Gill (jeangill) | 17 comments I think this is a great idea. I have a new book coming out on 1st November and I'd love all the help I can get with pre-release reviews so I'll submit that here then and I'll put it in the 'reviews requested' thread now. Good luck, everyone.

message 28: by eBook (new)

Hi Jean, we hope to have this run every month. We are stoked you think it is a good idea, we like to think up things that set us apart from others.

message 29: by J. (new)

J. James | 1 comments Please can I nominate my debut novel - "Denial Deceit Discovery" which is a coming out/gay interest story told in the style of a personal memoir (based on true events).

Kind regards,
Denial Deceit Discovery by J. James

message 30: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (michelleabbott) | 9 comments I'll throw my new adult romance into the ring. Just Stay by Michelle Abbott

The last place Pia wants to be is on a family vacation in a sleepy Cornish village. She's anticipating two weeks of mind-numbing boredom. Then she meets Trey, a local boy. He's absolutely gorgeous. The trouble is — he knows it. He's arrogant and egotistical, and Pia intends to avoid him at all costs.

But Trey is not the kind of guy who gives up easily. When he sets his sights on Pia, her resistance is futile.

It's just a holiday romance, some light-hearted fun, right? But one of them is about to discover that still waters do, indeed, run deep. When what lurks beneath the surface finally erupts, the consequences may prove to be catastrophic.

For ages 17+ due to sexual content and strong language

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

I'd like to nominate my latest novel One Kill Away.

Halifax homicide detective Allan Stanton's walked away from his job to reconnect with his young son, until a killer starts methodically carving his way through the city's underbelly. His ex-partner needs help, and Stanton reluctantly returns.

The killer is definitely working through a list of victims, and he's leaving cryptic clues at his grisly crime scenes. Are they there to confuse the police? Or is there something more to them? As Stanton unravels this shocking central mystery, he becomes the target of an unexpected enemy--those next on the killer's list.

message 32: by Charles (new)

Charles Cornell (charlesacornell) | 2 comments I'd like to nominate my science fiction/fantasy, DragonFly set in an alternative history of World War Two.

In 1942, an unlikely heroine changes the course of history. On the eve of invasion by the Nazis, RAF pilot Veronica ‘Ronnie’ Somerset is fighting another battle - to overcome every obstacle to become Britain’s first female combat pilot.

When Ronnie is re-assigned to Enysfarne, a mysterious Royal Navy base, fate places her inside the cockpit of the most revolutionary aircraft ever invented. Dr. Nigel Pennbridge has discovered quadra-hydrogen, an element that powers the DragonFly, a remarkable fighter-bomber that carries the hopes of Britain on its blue and silver wings.

A young woman with the fate of a nation in her hands.
An aircraft designed by science, fueled by magic and flown with passion.
A World War re-imagined like never before.

DragonFly
DragonFly (Missions of the DragonFly Squadron #1) by Charles A. Cornell

message 33: by Mike (new)

Mike Meyer | 5 comments I'd like to nominate my Caribbean murder mystery, DEADLY EYES.

INTERNATIONAL SUSPENSE COLLECTION BOOK TWO - from the author who took you from Munich to the burning sands of Saudi Arabia in Book One

(Something quite unique: To provide for individual reading preference, this book has TWO alternative endings, one of which is much darker than the other.)

James Cuffy, better known as Cuff, is living in paradise with his spunky girlfriend, Rosie, on the small Caribbean island of St. Croix, where the sky is as blue as Cuff's eyes, the ocean as pretty as feisty little Rosie's cheeks, where the gentle lapping of the waves is a lullaby, and the swaying of the palm trees is a dance. The sandy beaches are as white as sugar, and the horizon is a world away. St. Croix indeed is paradise, the perfect place for living, laughing, and loving.

But the sandy beaches and the turquoise sea can provide no cover from the deadly eyes of the unknown stalker pursuing Cuff. Murder leads to murder as he attempts to untangle the terrible web in which he has suddenly become entangled.

The twists and turns are many, the roads of the fast action leading in all directions, but time is running out, and Cuff, his faithful Rosie at his side, knows it.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

Deadly Eyes A Caribbean Murder Mystery by Mike Meyer

message 34: by Ian (new)

Ian (ianhsutherland) | 2 comments Brilliant idea. I'd like to nominate my debut crime thriller, which I self-published just this week, INVASION OF PRIVACY.

A vicious killer luring young women to their deaths. A voyeuristic website impervious to hacking. A police investigation team getting nowhere fast.

A serial killer observes his victims from afar . . . studying their behaviour so that they can be unwittingly lured to their death.

Elite computer hacker, Brody Taylor, attacks an illegal voyeuristic website . . . stumbling across a killer’s online hunting ground.

Met police detective, DI Jenny Price, investigates a brutal murder . . . struggling to determine how the killer knew so much about the beautiful young cellist.

As hacker and detective embark on an uncomfortable collaboration, the killer lures his next unsuspecting victim . . .

If you love ingenious thrillers with unexpected twists that are packed with great characters, you'll love INVASION OF PRIVACY.

Invasion of Privacy (Deep Web Thriller, #1) by Ian Sutherland

message 35: by Rustin (new)

Rustin Petrae (rustinpetrae) | 50 comments I would like to nominate the first book in my Histories of Purga series, Dragon, a sci-fi/fantasy novel set in a new, and amazing, world.

I read Dragon and liked it. This is worth reading. - Review by: Piers Anthony (Bestselling author of the Xanth novels)

HE WAS HER ENEMY. SHE SAVED HIS LIFE. THE REST IS HISTORY.

Rooks have embraced science and technology, inventing helpful, microscopic robots called nanos to create any machine they need.

The Terraqouis are their opposite. They embraced the spiritual, developing a deep bond with nature. This bond allows them to shift into the animal that resembles their own, inner selves.

These two races have fought each other with brutal savagery for centuries. But things change when the Rook prince, Rone Varlamagne, is attacked and left for dead by an unknown force. Keiara, the daughter of the Terraqouis chieftain, finds him, but instead of killing him, she saves his life. It is one act. One conscious choice. But it changes everything for them and the entire world of Purga.

Together, they face foes from every direction...and they will stop at nothing to protect each other.

Thank you,
Rustin Petrae

Dragon

message 36: by James (new)

James Corkill | 6 comments I'll nominate Cold Energy. An action adventure soft sci-fi novel.
Cold Energy. An Alex Cave Adventure. Episode 2 (Alex Cave adventures) by James M. Corkill

When the Polar Ice Sheet mysteriously expands by thousands of square miles, the sudden freezing temperature begins to alter the weather patterns on a global scale. At the same instant, an earthquake destroys the City of Victoria Canada, and awakens the sleeping Mount Baker volcano north of Seattle.
Alex joins the owner and scientists on the research ship, Mystic, who had accidently activate a mysterious device deep in the Pacific Ocean off the coast of Washington. Soon they discover that another strange device had been activated in the Arctic Ocean, and is causing the increasing size of the Polar Ice sheet. If it continues, the world will enter a new ice age.
Will Alex and the scientists succeed and save the planet? Or will humanity be extinguished by COLD ENERGY.

message 37: by Ellen (new)

Ellen Benefield | 1 comments I will nominate The Star Of Jolanest--a funny fantasy novel with many 5 star ratings. It is Y.A. but appeals to all ages. The Star Of Jolanest by Ellen Dawn Benefield The Star Of Jolanest Jarby is in love. He wants to marry the charming but penniless barmaid who works at his uncle's inn, but his uncle won't tolerate True Love without a matching dowry. So Jarby follows a tattered map to the fabled Star of Jolanest, a lost treasure that will provide all the dowry his beloved barmaid could want. Riding his randy dragonhorse, carrying his disenchanted sword and accompanied by an accident-prone stableboy (Erasmus Tate the Fourth, aka Poke) Jarby sets off on a journey dogged by surprises. Like his pesky magical abilities. Two-not-quite-human barbarian maidens who want him for themselves. The fact that he's actually of the deposed and hunted royal family of distant Melvia. And then there's the price on his head--in THE STAR OF JOLANEST.

message 38: by Bryan (new)

Bryan Costales (bryancostales) | 2 comments I nominate my novel JO.

Jo Bailey could foresee, but never prevent, death. Eventually he accepted his ability, but not befog he lost his first love, lost his wife, and lost all of his close friends. Eventually he discovered how to make money using his ability, and used that money to found the Church of Jo. Each chapter in this book is a story about a period in Jo's life as told by the people who loved him, as well as by the people who hated and tried to kill him. His story ranged from his first girlfriend who became his ghost to his eventual death in Wyoming. In between, he discovered a daughter never knew; made millions publishing a book; was shot and wounded in the Mojave Desert, kidnapped while on a walk, shot at in the Berkeley Greek Theater, was disqualified by the draft; and was arrested as part of a sit-in during the Berkeley Free Speech Movement. This book is a fiction in the guise of reality, a story about the last half of the 20th century, and about three mysteries, only two of which were solved.

message 39: by L.J. (last edited Aug 04, 2014 07:34AM) (new)

L.J. Dee (ljdee) | 1 comments Hi there, I'd like to nominate my newly released novel too!

Lucas: Book #1 The Hunter Brothers

It's time for a new kind of Dom.

Lucas. Roman. Charlie. Tyler.

Welcome to the extraordinary world of The Hunter Brothers.

Bound by blood, sizzling genetics and a fierce determination to protect one another; when their lives are thrust into a spiral of uncertainty, the Hunter brothers find themselves hunted. As their enemies close in, boundaries are crossed and loyalties tested as they are forced to fight for the things that determine their very existence.

One by one, the women in their lives discover that loving a Hunter is the most exquisite type of torture; a limitless bliss with a dangerous dark side. Destinies collide with desire and fates converge, drawing them into an intriguing tale of sex, power, lies and loss, obsession, death and love.

From the dangerous rogue to the demanding Dom; the playboy charmer to the charismatic rock star, they will stop at nothing to protect the two things they value the most...love and family.

Life with a Hunter is always one hell of a ride.

Equally Alpha. Deliciously different.

Book One: Lucas

‘Lucas flashed into my life like a glorious thunderbolt, electrifying my senses with those cobalt blue eyes; then just like lightning he was gone.’

Jessica Evangelista has had it tough. Pregnant at sixteen, she’s fought hard to protect the little boy she loves. Life never dealt her a break, until now. But when her thunderbolt lands as a permanent fixture, seriously sinful and impossible to ignore, he threatens every aspect of the life she’s strived so hard to build. When you’re fighting for a chance, there aren’t many rules. Jess only has two;

She will never sleep with her boss.

She will never risk it all.

Lucas Hunter is a man used to getting what he wants. A master of the boardroom and the bedroom, he’s respected, magnetic and powerful, and that’s the way he likes it. Dark and dominant, serious and brooding, he lives for control. But when a beautiful waitress crashes into his life, he knows he needs to win her. What he doesn’t need is a woman who blindsides him at every turn, forcing his ordered world into absolute chaos.

He doesn’t pick up waitresses and he doesn’t f**k employees.

Relationships come with a cast iron contract.

Some rules were made to be broken. Some feelings are just too powerful to ignore.

message 40: by S. Usher (new)

S. Usher Evans (susherevans) Piracy is a game. How much are you worth?

Since she was a little girl, everyone - from her father to the Great Creator himself - told Lyssa Peate the same thing: she's worthless. But when she becomes the pirate bounty hunter Razia, she can see the price tag on her own head. Employed by one of the four pirate syndicates, she uses bank transactions and her considerable wits to capture rival members. At least, she would be if Razia's boss ever gave her a chance. It's a man’s world, and all she’s allowed to hunt are purse snatchers while she languishes on probation.

To pay the bills, she's stuck in her old life as Lyssa, discovering and analyzing distant planets and selling them for cash. She's doing just enough to stay out of trouble, pretending to be continuing her father's mysterious research while away for long periods of time. Her slimy boss is always asking questions and even assigns one of her younger brothers, Vel, to intern with her. Already struggling to keep the balance between her double lives, she tries everything to rid herself of the kid...

...until the univesal police mistake Lyssa’s intern for Razia's hostage.

Double Life

message 41: by Martin (new)

Martin Hill (martinroyhill) | 4 comments I'd like to nominate my latest mystery thriller, Empty Places.

"The year is 1987. Battle-scarred news service correspondent Peter Brandt returns from covering the wars in Central America to bury his ex-wife, Palm
Springs TV reporter Robin Anderson, after her brutal murder. When Peter discovers the local police refuse to investigate Robin's murder, he sets out with an old friend, retired cop Matt Banyon, to find her killer. They unearth secrets old and new - a shadow world of sex and drugs, political corruption, and a wealthy Cuban freedom fighter with a suspicious past. In a final,cliff-hanging struggle, Peter faces his own demons - and death in a dark and empty place."

Empty Places by Martin Roy Hill

message 42: by Frank (new)

Frank van der Kok | 1 comments Hi!

Joined this group today, just to see this great initiative.

I am nominating my own book, Fights of Your Life:

To support your decision, let me simply quote 2 of my readers as they commented on the book:

"This book will give you strength and faith. And a completely new viewpoint on life."

"I laughed a lot at the well placed irony, but I also cried a lot. Fantastic reading"

Hoping for your positive feedback
Frank van der Kok

message 43: by A.M. (last edited Aug 04, 2014 07:58AM) (new)

A.M. Dunnewin (amdunnewin) I'm nominating my book The Benighted. :)

"The King was dead. His body was found slain in his room, only months after his son had been brutally murdered. Skylar Mandolyn, his daughter, has now become the last heir to the throne. But instead of becoming Queen, she was imprisoned for helping in the escape of Sir Harlin Brien, her knight who was framed for the King’s murder.

Confined to darkness, Skylar's captors have given her no choice but to yield to a new kind of enemy: a domain that has advanced in both technology and warfare. It's only when she refuses that the prison uses other means of persuasion. Though unmerciful, the whip lashings and isolation can't suppress her memories. She's forced to face again both her brother's death and her father's emotional decline, though even the darkness can't hide the deceptive hands that have tormented them all. Advisor turned adversary, Cross Lutherus has brought the ancient bloodline to its knees, and Skylar is the only Mandolyn left to feel his wrath.

With two kingdoms on the brink of war, and the end of her life drawing near, Skylar's only hope is in the person who haunts her the most – Harlin, the knight who was sworn to protect her. His presence surrounds her when the darkness screams louder than the prisoners, when Death smiles a faceless grin in between the cracks of the stone. And it's his strength she embraces just as the tremors start to rise from the deep, crawling up through the prison's walls to terrorize the benighted realm and all its souls.

The mystery was never how Harlin escaped. It is how he will return."

If you decide to read it, hope you enjoy! :D
The Benighted (The Benighted Saga, #1) by A.M. Dunnewin

message 44: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca McCray (RebPai) | 8 comments I'll nominate my YA sci-fi novel (it's sci-fi with a dash of fantasy).

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

The time is in the future. The Earth has been destroyed. A small number of humans escaped into space, seeking a new home, a new life. After decades of travel, they discovered a safe haven for the persecuted; a world protected by the Miyran.

Imagine a world built on the premise of acceptance. Each individual has a place, contributes to the whole. Life is prosperous and happy until the Tyrnotts arrive. They murder the eldest Miyran, leaving his daughter Anyamae to defend the planet and its inhabitants alone. She calls citizens to her aid to protect the innocent, including the next Miyran heir.

Eros's life changes forever when he discovers the brilliant mark of the Miyran burning behind his left ear on the morning of his sixteenth birthday. The mark drives him to become a warrior to protect Lady Anyamae -- he desires this noble future. Forced to abandon his home, he faces perils that will test his training and push the limits of his resolve. Eros wears the mark with utmost honor, but he is relentlessly hunted by the Lady's enemies. Despite his belief in his destiny, Eros increasingly doubts his skill as he guides a group of his peers on the harrowing journey that may very well be their last.

message 45: by Stevie (last edited Aug 04, 2014 08:34AM) (new)

Stevie Turner (stevieturner) | 33 comments I'm nominating my sixth novel 'No Sex Please, I'm Menopausal!', which is a humorous look at a couple's mid life crisis.

Lyn and Neil Fuller have been married for 35 years. When the menopause strikes and Lyn goes off sex, Neil starts to act strangely. After finding a pair of flimsy pink panties in Neil's van that definitely do not belong to her, Lyn's comfortable life suddenly changes beyond all recognition.

However, Lyn is no shrinking violet. The aftermath of her husband's actions causes Lyn to re-think her life and make new plans that do not include him.

Neil wants to have his cake and eat it too, and when he finds out that Lyn is made of sterner stuff than he first thought, he comes back into her life and wants to turn it upside down all over again!

No Sex Please, I'm Menopausal! by Stevie Turner

message 46: by Janet (new)

Janet O'Kane (janet_okane) | 2 comments I would like to nominate my novel No Stranger to Death, a contemporary Scottish mystery which has a cosy village setting but tackles dark themes. The Goodreads link is: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1.... You’ll find a synopsis there, so here is the book’s opening scene.

CHAPTER 1
Zoe Moreland saw her first dead body at the age of twelve, and had seen many others since. But that morning, for the first time ever, she could not tell if she was looking at the remains of a man or a woman.
The blackened form lay in the ash of Westerlea’s Guy Fawkes bonfire, surrounded by smoke-stained, metal debris and charred pieces of wood. Coated from head to foot in a thick layer of what looked like melted plastic, it seemed barely human, more a grotesque department-store mannequin which had been posed with elbows and knees flexed, fists clenched. Wisps of smoke rose from the torso.
It was still burning.
Zoe took a step back, glad that the worst cold she’d had in years currently prevented her from smelling anything. If only Mac had been similarly afflicted. She turned to the dog who had led her there. ‘So this is why you wouldn’t come when I called.’ Mac wagged his tail.
Minutes ticked by. Zoe knew what she had to do, what any normal person would have done already. But most normal people had no real-life experience of the police, did not know that getting mixed up with them meant answering questions, giving statements, being asked more questions. She had only found this out when Russell died.
She considered her options. They were alone, just her and Mac and that poor soul on the ground. Only the pub overlooked this part of the field and its curtains were still closed. She could walk away this time, feign shock when someone eventually told her the news.
Apart from the rumble of an occasional vehicle passing through Westerlea it was very quiet, yet another unsettling aspect of her new life in the country. Then the sound of high-pitched voices reached her, and she remembered the primary school only a short walk away. What if the next person to come across this horror was a child?
'You're a hard-hearted bitch.' Those words had echoed inside Zoe’s head during the months since they were spat out at her, and they returned now. Perhaps they were true.
No, they weren't.
She reached inside her coat. Plastic bag, dog biscuits, tissues, no mobile. Usually she would no sooner have left without it than forget to put on boots. This cold must be affecting her brain as well as her nose.
Zoe sighed then started to lead Mac towards the village. Rather than knock on a stranger's front door, she would go a little further and ask Brian at the shop to call the police.
But they were already there.

message 47: by Ian (new)

Ian I nominate my whodunit, MURDER ON THE SECOND TEE.
If you like a decent plot, an iconic setting, a good dose of humour and some diverse characters, you should enjoy this.
The directors of a niche bank are meeting in a St Andrews hotel. One of them is found dead on the golf course. It is Flick Fortune's first case as a detective inspector. As she struggles to find the murderer behind the bank's respectable façade she receives unexpected help from Detective Sergeant Bagawath Chandavarkar, who is investigating a multi-million pound money-laundering scam.
Another murder follows and Flick's old boss and tormentor, ex-Inspector No, makes an unwelcome intrusion before the truth is revealed.

MURDER ON THE SECOND TEE (Inspector No # 2) by Ian Simpson

message 48: by Deborah (new)

Deborah (goodreadscomdeborah_jay) | 5 comments Wow, this is really gathering pace now.
I'd like to nominate my Fantasy, THE PRINCE'S MAN
The Prince's Man (The Five Kingdoms, #1) by Deborah Jay

Think ‘James Bond meets Lord of the Rings’ - a sweeping tale of spies and deadly politics, inter-species mistrust and magic phobia, with an underlying thread of romance.
Rustam Chalice, hedonist, dance tutor, gigolo and spy, loves his life just the way it is, so when the kingdom he serves is threatened from within, he leaps into action. Only trouble is, the spy master, Prince Hal, teams him up with an untouchable aristocratic assassin who despises him.
And to make matters worse, she’s the most beautiful woman in the Five Kingdoms.
To track the would-be usurper, Rustam and Lady Risada join the prince’s daughter as part of her party on the social circuit, travelling to the fests thrown by each of the great houses. In the secret dungeons beneath one mansion they make a shocking discovery: an elf, a member of a species believed long vanished from the kingdom in the wake of a devastating war between the races.
Too late, the spies discover they are behind enemy lines. Their only viable escape route is to cross the mountains to another kingdom, and they are forced to leave the princess behind, hoping that her position will offer her some protection, even if only as a hostage. Taking the sickly elf with them as a political pawn, the mismatched pair struggles to keep him alive while surviving deadly wildlife, the machinations of a spiteful god - and each other.
But when the elf reveals that Rustam has magic of his own, he is forced to question his identity, his sanity and worst, his loyalty to his prince, for in Tyr-en all magic users are put to death. He must also keep the knowledge from Lady Risada, who is set on upholding the kingdom’s laws at any cost, at the same time as trying to learn enough about his burgeoning abilities to keep everyone around him safe.
As secrets pile up and old enemies must be courted for aid, the kingdom’s only hope comes finally to rest on a return journey through the beautiful, unsettling and hostile elven kingdom, where Rustam will come face to face with his goddess and make the most important choice of his life: stay, and settle down with those he now knows to be kin, or embrace his magic, return to save his prince’s kingdom – and die.

message 49: by Jami (last edited Aug 04, 2014 11:17AM) (new)

Jami Brumfield | 4 comments I currently have three very different paranormal series and have listed the first book in all three for your consideration.

Mature Young Adult book series The Winters Saga. Book one of this series is Lone Wolf Rising.

New Adult and Adult Paranormal Romance series titled Mystery Springs. Book one of this series is The Witch's Vampire all books in this series are stand alone novels.

Paranormal Investigation novella serial. The first book in this series is PBI Case Files: The Beginning - episode one

All my books are paranormal, urban fantasy and action/adventure oriented. The difference is the level of romance and/or science fiction.

Thank you for your consideration. Jami Brumfield

PBI Case Files The Beginning - episode one by Jami Brumfield

The Witch's Vampire (Mystery Springs Series) by Jami Brumfield

Lone Wolf Rising (The Winters Family Saga, #1) by Jami Brumfield

message 50: by C.J. (last edited Aug 04, 2014 12:05PM) (new)

C.J. Anaya (cjanaya) | 21 comments I nominate my recently released YA, Paranormal Romance entitled The Healer The Healer by C.J. Anaya
Here is a little about the book.

Broken ribs…mended. Punctured kidney…fixed. Fractured skull…knit together. Homework...ah crap! I totally forgot to finish my homework.

I’m Hope Fairmont, a teenager with a talent for healing illnesses and injuries within seconds, but let’s keep that last part a secret, shall we? I’d like to be normal, but my healing powers have kicked that happy goal to the curb. Until recently, only my dad and Kirby, a ten-year-old cancer patient, knew anything about my crazy superpower. Now, two outrageously handsome young men have appeared out of nowhere, claiming they’ve been sent here to protect me from others who would use my powers to destroy the world.

So dramatic! I suspect Victor and Tie, provided those are even their real names, both have their own reasons for “protecting” me from the people intent on snuffing out my happy existence.

Victor looks at me like he’s been waiting his whole life to get his hands on me. That’s either very good or very bad. I’m on the fence with that one. Tie on the other hand…hmmm…Tie…sorry. I sometimes struggle to keep my thoughts in order whenever he’s near me. He’s brooding, cranky and has weird mood swings. I’m pretty sure I hate him. I hate him so much I’m starting to like him. I have these flashes of memory, like we’ve met before. I don’t know who those memories belong to, but they can’t be mine.

My best friend Angie couldn’t be happier about the situation. She thinks my single status is criminal. Hey, I’ve got a lot on my plate. There’s no time for normal teenage dating. Let’s talk about those giant, cat-like assassins sent to slice my head off or the fact that I’ve been reincarnated. Maybe we should discuss the source of my healing powers being tied to warring gods and the veil between life and death or my mixed emotions concerning sweet Victor and complicated Tie. I’m determined to choose my own destiny, but I have to do that before I lose everyone I love to an ancient Japanese prophecy.

And I still need to finish this stupid homework.

Thank you for your consideration. C.J. Anaya

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.