Golden Age of Hollywood Book Club discussion

Hob Nob > 'sex appeal' only

Comments Showing 1-50 of 79 (79 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (last edited Apr 10, 2018 03:34PM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) | 2484 comments Mod
Just for fun. Name any five favorites, purely on their sex appeal, (not their acting ability)

Sente Berger
Bridgitte Bardot
Claudia Cardinale
Maria Schneider
Monica Vitti

message 2: by Jamie (new)

Jamie  (jaymers8413) | 88 comments Mod
James Dean, Marlon Brando, Paul Newman, Rita Hayworth, Veronica Lake. There are so many gorgeous old Hollywood actors!

message 3: by W (new)

W Marilyn Monroe
Cameron Diaz
Diane Lane
Claudette Colbert
Monica Belluci

message 4: by W (new)

W And Maria Schneider,wasn't she in Last Tango in Paris ?
Scarlett Johannson
Kate Winslet

message 5: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

Indeed she was. These others you mention, I don't know 'em

message 6: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I'm assuming we can list men?

William Shatner (I don;t care how old or fat he gets)
David Soul
Charlton Heston
Alexander & Bill Skarsgard (they're a set)
Chris Pine

message 7: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

The 'Shat Man' is always worth a remembrance.

Meanwhile, David Soul --yeah, that guy hovered infinitely close to being a major star. Just couldn't cross that last crucial inch to get over the threshold. Same situation as Nick Mancuso.

message 8: by Spencer (new)

Spencer Rich | 867 comments Ingrid Bergman
Lauren Becall
Natalie Wood
Shirley MacLaine
Gene Tierney

message 9: by W (last edited Dec 01, 2019 10:04PM) (new)

W Kandice wrote: "I'm assuming we can list men?

William Shatner (I don;t care how old or fat he gets)
David Soul
Charlton Heston
Alexander & Bill Skarsgard (they're a set)
Chris Pine"

Lol,indeed you assume correctly.However,I doubt if this thread was created for that purpose.

message 10: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (last edited Dec 01, 2019 06:00PM) (new)

aw that Shirley MacLaine...her figure always seemed so 'stringy' to me. I realize she was a talented dancer, 'Sweet Charity', right? That was her big musical? But the first film I ever saw her with sex appeal was 'Being There'.

Meanwhile ...Bacall... always too 'overpowering' in her allure. Like, a literal sex 'bomb'. She always confessed she was nervous on camera, funny.

I guess I like a little pudginess or fleshiness on female stars; that, or else the 'waif' type such as Millie Perkins. Slim, slender females are just too blade-like. Too 'sharp' (to my eyes).

message 11: by Spencer (new)

Spencer Rich | 867 comments Hard to keep it to 5. Here's a list.

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/spence...

message 12: by W (last edited Dec 01, 2019 09:48PM) (new)

W Very nice list and pics,but why keep it to just 90 ?

message 13: by W (new)

W Feliks wrote: "Indeed she was. These others you mention, I don't know 'em"
They are all major stars in their own right.

message 14: by W (new)

W Molly Ringwald
Elisha Cuthbert
Sharon Stone
Catherine Zeta Jones
Lauren Bacall

message 15: by W (last edited Dec 01, 2019 10:11PM) (new)

W Goldie Hawn
Jane Fonda
Janet Leigh
Ingrid Bergman
Marlene Dietrich
Bridgette Bardot
Racquel Welch

message 16: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

Wsm wrote: "They are all major stars in their own right."

Well after all, if they're not classic stars they're not really stars. 'Celebs' is more like it.

message 17: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Wsm wrote: "As for "Shat", he is too old and fat now."

I don't care. He still has mass amounts of appeal. He's charming and funny. My husband took me to see him for our first wedding anniversary. I thought I was going to pass out. I was in the middle of the front row and he actually spoke to me. Then about three years ago I saw him again and also got a personal acknowledgement.

He just oozes charm, and yes, sex appeal, old and fat or not!

message 18: by W (last edited Dec 02, 2019 07:42AM) (new)

W Alright,I won't argue with you.You yourself mentioned him being old and fat in your earlier post.
Please list more such favourites,I enjoy your posts.

message 19: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Marlon Brando
Bill Paxton (I know he died)
Campbell Scott (that voice!)
Clint Eastwood
and how did I miss mentioning Robert Redford!

message 20: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

I mostly agree with the idea hinted at by Kandice, and I'll put it like this: when it comes to charisma and star power, these beloved personalities do not lose anything regardless of age or weight or other changes in their appearance. There's a galaxy of examples from Hollywood history which demonstrates the truth of this. The personal charm and magnetism which made these people famous, is still there despite the calendar. It's been attested to far too often, to brush aside.

message 21: by W (last edited Dec 02, 2019 09:40AM) (new)

W "Feliks" you are hardly a model of cordiality and respect yourself.You have a patronising tone and a non serious,jeering,manner.I noticed that straightaway looking at your posts,that you were too full of yourself.You did not even have the courtesy to say a word of welcome,when I joined this group.
I joined this group because I was interested in this period of Hollywood history,but soon realized that this group was mostly about you,and your opinions.There was hardly any other activity.
I actually like Shatner,but Kandice said that he is old and fat.So I responded to that,in the same way.I also did not mean disrespect to Brando,but said that in a lighter vein.
Anyway,I'm done with this group,because of the reasons explained above.

message 22: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 2281 comments I can understand that people have strong feelings about actors/actresses, just as they do about books and things that are important to them. After all, in 20-30 years, many of today's performers may be considered the new classics. We all like different people and things, and should respect that.

message 23: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

I just learned that Clara Bow attended high school near in a building near where I currently reside in Brooklyn.

message 24: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (last edited Dec 06, 2019 09:33AM) (new)

Wsm wrote: "Feliks you are hardly a model of cordiality and respect yourself....."

Wsm, (just in case you're still lurking): you wouldn't be able to name one instance where I was ever abusive, rude, or vulgar to anyone. Not one.

Wsm wrote: "You have a patronising tone and a non serious, jeering, manner. I noticed that straightaway looking at your posts, that you were too full of yourself....."

I'm not responsible for 'how I might occasionally sound' to some people's ears, via 'little white text input' boxes on this anonymous third-party medium. Most people have no issues. Proof? I moderate a dozen reader's groups.

Wsm wrote: "You did not even have the courtesy to say a word of welcome,when I joined this group....."

Pardon me, I simply did not notice that event. I do have my hands full with numerous other tasks around here, fyi.

Wsm wrote: "I joined this group because I was interested in this period of Hollywood history....."

There's plenty of other venues online, for you to satisfy this need. Don't blame us for not making you happy.

Wsm wrote: "but soon realized that this group was mostly about you, and your opinions. There was hardly any other activity....."

If my opinions seem to predominate slightly, it is because --as you just admitted--'low activity' is the norm here. I joined up to help boost activity and (I believe) I've succeeded.

Wsm wrote: "I actually like Shatner, but Kandice said that he is old and fat. So I responded to that, in the same way. I also did not mean disrespect to Brando, but said that in a lighter vein....."

As I stated, your responses to Kandice seemed to grow markedly 'spiteful'. I asked you to revise your wording; you did not; so I deleted your remarks. Nothing extraordinary about this.

Wsm wrote: "Anyway, I'm done with this group, because of the reasons explained above...."

No need to leave in a huff. But ...oh well. Buh-bye.

message 25: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) | 2526 comments Am I the only woman who almost faints every time she see Sam Elliot? Now that is sexy, no matter how you define it. He has aged beautifully.

message 26: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 2281 comments I think Sam Elliott is extremely sexy. Just as a point of interest, I once stayed in the room he used while he was filming 'Gettysburg'. I told some friends I had slept in Sam Elliott's bed. :-)

message 27: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) | 2526 comments You lucky duck!!!!

message 28: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Jill wrote: "Am I the only woman who almost faints every time she see Sam Elliot? Now that is sexy, no matter how you define it. He has aged beautifully."

Absolutely, but for me, a big part of his appeal is that voice.

message 29: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 2281 comments Good point. You can always tell his voice when he does a voiceover.

message 30: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

I don't know if I have a fave role of his but I'd probably cite 'Lifeguard'. Interesting little flick, of a type you never see anymore. Simply about a common experience many people go through: 'deciding what to do with their lives'. And it pairs him with Anne Archer ...whew!

message 31: by Betsy (last edited Jan 02, 2020 06:17PM) (new)

Betsy | 2281 comments One of the most beautiful actresses, IMO, is Sophia Loren. She started out as more of a sex symbol but certainly proved her acting talent in several movies. I loved her in the movies she made with Marcello Mastroianni.

message 32: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

Supposedly a wicked card-sharp too, as most Naples-born are said to be. I think this remark about her, was made by Peter O'Toole or somebody.

message 33: by Spencer (new)

Spencer Rich | 867 comments Sometimes you eat the bear, and, well, sometimes he eats you.

message 34: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (last edited Dec 07, 2019 12:07PM) (new)

'Algie saw the bear;
the bear saw Algie.
The bear is bulgy;
the bulge, is Algie"

message 35: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 2281 comments Are any of you Mae West fans? I must admit I've never seen her appeal although she was good in certain parts, I assume. But then there are quite a few actors that don't appeal to me for various reasons, even if decent actors.

message 36: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (last edited Jan 02, 2020 06:52PM) (new)

Interesting question. Odd, I myself was thinking about her just today.

I would say I'm a fan of her wit. Mighty acerbic. And I suppose, of her assertiveness, her boldness. She 'stomped the terra', all the while not possessing any extraordinary acting ability nor very incredible looks either.

I admire though, that she was a very self-possessed individual; knew her own mind. She was her own woman, she forged her own persona ...rather than being 'manufactured' by Hollywood.

I like her sexual frankness and appreciate her bringing this quality out into the public sphere. She was the first (well, the first to be corporealized into celluloid, vaudeville was always truly first). She put men in their place when no one else did.

These days a LOT of cheap hussies (yes! I said it! 'hussies'!) desperately strain to repeat her status; they do their best to be as shocking as West was (and hope that no one knows film history).

But the record usually shows that whatever anyone is doing now, West did it better, did it first, and more courageously.

I guess I am a fan. The Dzherz is said to be hard on women, but let this post show that when praise is due, I don't stint.

message 37: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) | 2526 comments I think West was one of a kind and her wit and brash attitude would not get the appreciation now that it did when she appeared in film.

message 38: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

for example, how to compare Mae West vs Jean Harlowe? Both were pioneers for women's viewpoints.

message 39: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) | 2526 comments They were indeed but somehow I can't put them in the same category. I'm not sure why. West seemed like a hard case and based her performances on innuendo with her snappy dialogue....but did she ever kiss anybody in a film? She seemed available but untouchable. Harlow on the other hand was available and anything but untouchable. She seemed more real.

message 40: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) | 2526 comments Catherine Deneuve is probably the closest thing to perfect beauty I have ever seen. But I don't see her as "sexy" plus she could act up a storm. What do you think?

message 41: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

My opinion of female physical beauty is, "in the dark, all cats be grey" [a line from Cervantes' 'Don Quixote'].

In other words, it's how they feel in your arms, rather than how they look.

And when you see a woman all frazzled in the morning, or stepping awkwardly out of a bath, you realize it's the spirit inside which counts. Bodies are just shapes!

Deneuvre's looks are not supreme in my book; her features are finely chiseled like statuary and that's all well and good. But I don't lie awake nights musing over her. I appreciate her voice and scenes where she is very French in her wardrobe ('March or Die' for example). I like her roles which called for intelligent, curious characters rather than just a runway model.

Of 'that type' of actress I'd favor Jackie Bissett instead; but again only if she proves herself in personality. Nothing is more tedious than hanging out with a 'glamor-puss' who has nothing to say, no inner warmth, no experience of the world.

Of course, I'm not usually placed in such situations but if we imagine a stranded passenger plane scene, well ... I'd go over and sit next to the guitar-playing nun rather than the helpless fashion-plate.

message 42: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) | 2526 comments Your comments about her finely chiseled looks which resemble statuary are spot on since France used her as the model for the symbolic Marianne in 1985.

message 43: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 2281 comments Jill, did they use her as Marianne appeared in the classic paintng by Delacroix?

message 44: by Jill (last edited Feb 05, 2020 03:36PM) (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) | 2526 comments Yes, Liberty Leading The People. The face used by Delacroix was, of course, anonymous and then France decided to periodically use the faces of well known French women. You might want to look that up to be sure my memory is serving me well, ;>) But I think that is correct.

message 45: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

I've been fascinated lately by the Wyeth painting, "Christina's World". Eerie work.

message 46: by Spencer (new)

Spencer Rich | 867 comments I wouldn't kick either of them out of bed.

message 47: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 2281 comments Jill wrote: "Yes, Liberty Leading The People. The face used by Delacroix was, of course, anonymous and then France decided to periodically use the faces of well known French women. You might want to look that u..."

You're right, Jill. It's interesting that they did that. I believe Bardot was used as well.

message 48: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

Bardot in her prime, much more to my taste. Not as statuesque as Anouk Aimee or Cathy Deneuvre, okay. I dont know how to rate her acting ability, I have not seen her in enough films.

I thought she was very fun in that Mexican revolution movie, with that wife-of-Henri-George Clouzot-who-became-an-actress, what was her name? The one in 'les Diabolisques? Now there was a woman. Untrained, then right into stardom.

message 49: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) | 2526 comments Vera...the put-upon wife in Les Diaboliques. I really love that film.

message 50: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

Yeah! Its good to know she went on to more roles.

« previous 1