YALMC #SharedRead discussion

27 views
Children of Blood & Bone > Beware of Spoilers!

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by YALMC (new)

YALMC | 25 comments Mod
Welcome to the open discussion of Children of Blood and Bone! Spoilers will abound, you have been warned! ;-)

Magic, non-western fantasy settings, the group at the novel's core... There are so many things I could happily discuss! But where do you want to begin?


message 2: by Ikram (new)

Ikram | 37 comments Mod
Do you ever get that urge to click whenever you see a spoiler tag? Haha, I better go read the book before I spoil myself.


message 3: by YALMC (new)

YALMC | 25 comments Mod
Kimi wrote: "Do you ever get that urge to click whenever you see a spoiler tag? Haha, I better go read the book before I spoil myself."

HA! Me, NEVER. My sister, however, has a horrible habit of reading the last page of a book (apparently so she doesn't stress while reading!).


message 4: by Ikram (new)

Ikram | 37 comments Mod
YALMC wrote: "Kimi wrote: "Do you ever get that urge to click whenever you see a spoiler tag? Haha, I better go read the book before I spoil myself."

HA! Me, NEVER. My sister, however, has a horrible habit of r..."


The weird thing is that I HATE spoilers but I can't help it, every time I see a spoiler tag I want to click xD

I used to read the last sentence of the book when I was younger but I don't do that anymore haha. I've learned the hard way.


message 5: by YALMC (new)

YALMC | 25 comments Mod
Kimi wrote: "YALMC wrote: "Kimi wrote: "Do you ever get that urge to click whenever you see a spoiler tag? Haha, I better go read the book before I spoil myself."

HA! Me, NEVER. My sister, however, has a horri..."


Right, get thyself out of the spoiler thread UNTIL YOU'VE READ THE BOOK!


message 6: by Ikram (new)

Ikram | 37 comments Mod



message 7: by YALMC (new)

YALMC | 25 comments Mod
Kimi wrote: ""

Can't wait!!!


message 8: by Sally (new)

Sally (bookishwondergoth) I’ve just finished! The time is 01:18am :) I’m going to sleep on it and collect my thoughts...


message 9: by YALMC (new)

YALMC | 25 comments Mod
YAY!!


message 10: by Masooma (new)

Masooma | 26 comments S.E. Berrow wrote: "I’ve just finished! The time is 01:18am :) I’m going to sleep on it and collect my thoughts..."

So, what are your thoughts, sweets? I don't think Inan is dead. What do you think? I mean his father never really gave him a second and final fatal blow. And what is your take on the entire book overall?? :)


message 11: by Perla (new)

Perla Torkan | 6 comments Masooma wrote: "S.E. Berrow wrote: "I’ve just finished! The time is 01:18am :) I’m going to sleep on it and collect my thoughts..."

So, what are your thoughts, sweets? I don't think Inan is dead. What do you thin..."


I don't know why, but I think he's dead, even though it would be interesting to see him in the sequel. However, I love the thought of Amari becoming a queen, she'd be amazing with Tzain as her husband. (what's the name of their ship, lol? Tzainari? Amazain?) Also... I can't quite imagine Zélie with Innan anymore, even if he'd survive...
What do you think? :)


message 12: by Sally (new)

Sally (bookishwondergoth) I personally don’t think Inan is dead. I think if he’d actually died we would have seen it. That being said, I kinda hope he is dead, because that would make for the more interesting storyline and would be quite unexpected. A tragic end for a tragic character. If he does survive, I personally don’t think he and Zélie should be together. He’s the son of her oppressor, an active part of that oppressive system, burned down her village, caused her to get caught and tortured and then later caused the death of her father. That’s too much! How can she possibly forgive him? I couldn’t! I generally found their “relationship” to be incredibly instalovey anyway and not at all believable. It was one of the sticking points for me in the book. I feel like Inan had real potential to be a morally ambiguous and deeply conflicted character — I mean he was, but he fell a bit flat for me...

What do you guys think? Are you totally gung-ho Zélie and Inan or skeptical like me? I much preferred the budding relationship between Amari and Tzain, and Zélie’s sweet hate to love friendship with Amari ♥

Did anyone else get the impression that Amari might have been in a relationship with Binta? I felt for sure it was going down that route at one point but the latter half of the book seemed to quash it.

Generally speaking I really enjoyed the book. The action sequences were so, so fantastic (that arena sea-battle was wow, just wow). I liked the world-building and want to read more about the animals and the magic system in the sequels.

Amari was my fave character ♥


message 13: by Perla (new)

Perla Torkan | 6 comments S.E. Berrow wrote: "I personally don’t think Inan is dead. I think if he’d actually died we would have seen it. That being said, I kinda hope he is dead, because that would make for the more interesting storyline and ..."

It's so bad gr doesn't have Like button, because I completely agree with you. I just couldn't bring myself to enjoy Innan and Zélie instalove story, because it was just too much. I was with Tzain all the time he said Innan was going to hurt her. And look what what happened- he DID hurt her.

I was thinking the same thing about Binta and Amari lol, because shee seemed to mean so much to Amari. The first half of the book I actually thought about Amari falling for Zélie (that would be unexpected), but then it became quite clear she had her eyes for Tzain.


message 14: by Sally (new)

Sally (bookishwondergoth) Perla wrote: "S.E. Berrow wrote: "I personally don’t think Inan is dead. I think if he’d actually died we would have seen it. That being said, I kinda hope he is dead, because that would make for the more intere..."

Ah, thank you! I would be totally down for an Amari and Zélie relationship. It might still happen, you never know! But yes, she will probably wind up with Tzain...

My favourite scene was the arena sea-battle... SO EXCITING.


message 15: by Masooma (new)

Masooma | 26 comments S.E. Berrow wrote: "I personally don’t think Inan is dead. I think if he’d actually died we would have seen it. That being said, I kinda hope he is dead, because that would make for the more interesting storyline and ..."

Exactly, the words that I was searching for: insta-lovey! Those two just fell in love within a matter of a few hours, which was pretty silly. Frankly, Inan's character was the only character that I felt was three-dimensional, loaded with confusion, doubt, negativity, positivity, and everything else. So, when he died, I was naturally hurt but I expected it. It didn't come as a bolt from the blue. And it was only sensible on part of the author to make Inan deceive Zelie cause that made more sense and sounded more genuine too.


message 16: by Masooma (new)

Masooma | 26 comments S.E. Berrow wrote: "Perla wrote: "S.E. Berrow wrote: "I personally don’t think Inan is dead. I think if he’d actually died we would have seen it. That being said, I kinda hope he is dead, because that would make for t..."

I think the sea-battle was really nice but I couldn't connect with the characters so I didn't feel any fear or anything else for them, which was a bummer. Did anybody else feel that? I mean there was so many deaths and such cruelty in the books but I couldn't feel it, which is kind of sad! :/


message 17: by Masooma (new)

Masooma | 26 comments What is your take on the magic guys? Did you like it? Frankly, I was not highly satisfied with that aspect of the book. Two factors that stood out for me were the novel's prose and the action, which was great. At some places, I also felt that the plot was slowing down very much. And did anyone else notice that Tzain was also very quick to trust Amari when she was a blue blood too? Her arrival with that scroll could have been a plan on part of the royalty. Just like the sentinels said that they were tricked when the artifacts were stolen years ago!

PS: I also felt that there might have been a chemistry between Amari and Binta but I suppose the author only meant their closeness due to their friendship. I wish there were more details about the person (Binta) who started all this for Amari.


message 18: by Perla (new)

Perla Torkan | 6 comments Masooma wrote: "S.E. Berrow wrote: "Perla wrote: "S.E. Berrow wrote: "I personally don’t think Inan is dead. I think if he’d actually died we would have seen it. That being said, I kinda hope he is dead, because t..."

Agree, there were many deaths, but I didn't feel sad for those people, because I really didn't know them. I wanted to feel bad about that young leader (I forgot her name, gosh!), but I didn't. She was such a bitch to Tzain and Amari and then, all of sudden, she changed into hospitable leader, like srsly? It was just fast and weird and... I don't know, some things just felt rushed that I couldn't connect with.


message 19: by Masooma (new)

Masooma | 26 comments Perla wrote: "Masooma wrote: "S.E. Berrow wrote: "Perla wrote: "S.E. Berrow wrote: "I personally don’t think Inan is dead. I think if he’d actually died we would have seen it. That being said, I kinda hope he is..."

yes, my point exaclty, the plot was wicked but there was no connectivity with the characters. Haha, her name was Zu and I get your point of her transformation from being mean to hospitable. They even easily accepted Zelie as their leader. And did you notice how they said that Zu has a queen-like royality in her composure and in the next moment, she was simply a 13-year-old who was literally jumping. I mean queens don't jump around in excitement like that now, do they?


message 20: by Perla (new)

Perla Torkan | 6 comments Masooma wrote: "Perla wrote: "Masooma wrote: "S.E. Berrow wrote: "Perla wrote: "S.E. Berrow wrote: "I personally don’t think Inan is dead. I think if he’d actually died we would have seen it. That being said, I ki..."

Gosh, that scene was sooo cringy! I wanted to shout ather to stop acting like a child! Everyone was saying how mature she was for her age and what she had to become for her people... but then, all she wanted to do was to bring others magic back... *sigh*

I, as well, had some problems about Tzain believing Amari so quickly. It reminded me of that movie: Avatar, only some roles were changed. Tzain believed her, even though I thought it'd be Zélie, because she rescued Amari.


message 21: by Sally (new)

Sally (bookishwondergoth) Masooma wrote: "What is your take on the magic guys? Did you like it? Frankly, I was not highly satisfied with that aspect of the book. Two factors that stood out for me were the novel's prose and the action, whic..."

I thought the magic system had potential, but wasn't explored enough for my tastes. That being said, magic being absent from the world was a major plot point, so I'm pretty confident that this will come up again and improve in the sequels! Which I of course intend to read.

Did anyone do the maji tribe test on the Children of Blood and Bone website? I got Tider. I figure it's because I'm obsessed with the sea, ahaha. Not 100% sure what being a Tider means as we didn't really get to see much of their magic at play in the book, but I'm going to presume I can control water and create animations out of water, make some waves, that sort of thing...

Perla wrote: "Agree, there were many deaths, but I didn't feel sad for those people, because I really didn't know them. I wanted to feel bad about that young leader (I forgot her name, gosh!), but I didn't. She was such a bi..."

This didn't bother me quite as much as you guys, it seemed. I don't think she was being a bitch to Amari and Tzain. They were doing what needed to be done to preserve the safety of their hideout. Amari and Tzain did perhaps forgive them a little too quickly given that Zu had Tzain tortured, however there was a recognition amongst everyone present that they were better stronger and putting up a front together against their oppressors, than squabbling amongst themselves. I thought it was a pretty neat commentary on gang violence actually... Make the maji/diviners hate and fight each other so they won't recognise their folly and rise up to overthrow their oppressors.


message 22: by Ikram (new)

Ikram | 37 comments Mod
So I finally finished the book and was reading through your comments.

I don't think Inan is dead, but I think his relationship with Zélie's is dead and buried. I honestly don't see how/why she would forgive him. He messed up one too many times and forgiveness is not an option anymore when baba got killed.

Can we talk about Roën? I think he could be a potential love interest in the sequel and I'm very excited to see that. His scars and the story behind them are super intriguing and I would love to know more.

I did feel that there was something between Amari and Binta but I'm not sure if that's what the author was going for.

I have just posted my full review if you guys want to check it out. https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...


message 23: by Perla (new)

Perla Torkan | 6 comments Kimi wrote: "So I finally finished the book and was reading through your comments.

I don't think Inan is dead, but I think his relationship with Zélie's is dead and buried. I honestly don't see how/why she wo..."


Yes, Roën would be great love interest. <3 He seems rather interesting, with all those things we don't know about his homeland and history.... I'd love to see more of him and Zélie. Even if Inan is still alive, I don't think he can get a redemption or something, he messed up practically everything he could.


message 24: by Ikram (new)

Ikram | 37 comments Mod
Perla wrote: "Kimi wrote: "So I finally finished the book and was reading through your comments.

I don't think Inan is dead, but I think his relationship with Zélie's is dead and buried. I honestly don't see h..."


How are we supposed to wait so long for book 2! I need answers now.


message 25: by Perla (new)

Perla Torkan | 6 comments Kimi wrote: "Perla wrote: "Kimi wrote: "So I finally finished the book and was reading through your comments.

I don't think Inan is dead, but I think his relationship with Zélie's is dead and buried. I honest..."


I think there are certain books that should be read a month or so before release of a second book, because that waiting is annoying and nerve-racking.

I'm also really curious about new enemy, since the big bad king is dead. When I started reading this book, I thought he would be like the king in ToG, alive in every book there is, but I'm glad that this is not the case.


message 26: by Masooma (new)

Masooma | 26 comments Kimi wrote: "So I finally finished the book and was reading through your comments.

I don't think Inan is dead, but I think his relationship with Zélie's is dead and buried. I honestly don't see how/why she wo..."


Good point! I completely forgot about Roen.


message 27: by Ikram (new)

Ikram | 37 comments Mod
Perla wrote: "Kimi wrote: "Perla wrote: "Kimi wrote: "So I finally finished the book and was reading through your comments.

I don't think Inan is dead, but I think his relationship with Zélie's is dead and bur..."


I was glad to see the king die too. I feel like some novels drag the initial villain for far too long.

I think Inan might play the part of the villain? Or at least an antagonist for a little while.


message 28: by Ikram (new)

Ikram | 37 comments Mod
Masooma wrote: "Kimi wrote: "So I finally finished the book and was reading through your comments.

I don't think Inan is dead, but I think his relationship with Zélie's is dead and buried. I honestly don't see h..."


I'm already shipping Roën with Zélie.


message 29: by Sally (new)

Sally (bookishwondergoth) I don't really feel like I know enough about Roën to ship him with anyone. He seems like a cool character though and I look forward to learning more about him in Book 2.

I was surprised by your review, Kimi, in the sense that you didn't mention the infamous phrase, "I let out the breath I didn't know I was holding" - how it featured not once, but twice, and you gave 'Scythe' such a hard time for that! XD


message 30: by Ikram (new)

Ikram | 37 comments Mod
S.E. Berrow wrote: "I don't really feel like I know enough about Roën to ship him with anyone. He seems like a cool character though and I look forward to learning more about him in Book 2.

I was surprised by your re..."


Haha I know right! I've actually mentioned it in my updates and ranted about it on Instagram but I feel like this book serves such a big purpose that I couldn't discredit it just for that cliché.


message 31: by Masooma (new)

Masooma | 26 comments Kimi wrote: "Masooma wrote: "Kimi wrote: "So I finally finished the book and was reading through your comments.

I don't think Inan is dead, but I think his relationship with Zélie's is dead and buried. I hone..."


Oh yeah! I think that's the only possible course that the author will take :) Are we reading another book together for April or May?


message 32: by Ikram (new)

Ikram | 37 comments Mod
Masooma wrote: "Kimi wrote: "Masooma wrote: "Kimi wrote: "So I finally finished the book and was reading through your comments.

I don't think Inan is dead, but I think his relationship with Zélie's is dead and b..."


Yes! You can find all the info here: https://yalmc.wordpress.com/2018/03/2...


message 33: by YALMC (new)

YALMC | 25 comments Mod
This thread makes my heart happy!


back to top