YALMC #SharedRead discussion

Children of Blood & Bone > Spoiler Free Zone!

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by YALMC (new)

YALMC | 25 comments Mod
Welcome to our first #SharedRead! I can't wait to get into this one with everyone.

Where do you want to start? There's so very much to play with! Remember -- on this thread -- let's keep things spoiler free! Children of Blood and Bone has only been out for a few days, and we want to respect the reading pace of everyone! (We'll open another thread for more open discussion.)

message 2: by Sally (new)

Sally (bookishwondergoth) When is the deadline for finishing reading this book? :)

message 3: by YALMC (new)

YALMC | 25 comments Mod
S.E. Berrow wrote: "When is the deadline for finishing reading this book? :)"

Ah! Yes. Practicalities would be useful. This will be the official read from now until the 16th of April, at which point we'll transition to the new book.

Around the ending of CoBaB's reign, there will be a Twitter Chat, for anyone interested in having a live discussion of the book on that medium. We could also organise something of the sort here, if that's of interest?

message 4: by Sally (new)

Sally (bookishwondergoth) I'm probably more likely to discuss things on Goodreads than Twitter, so yes, that would be of interest :) Looking forward to sinking my teeth into this one - it's next on my list after I slog through the rest of my current book!

message 5: by YALMC (new)

YALMC | 25 comments Mod
:-) Brilliant. As you've asked first - any days of the week to avoid for a let's all meet and virtually book talk?!

I'm finishing off The Belles by Dhonielle Clayton and Sightwitch by Susan Dennard just came up on my library holds!!! I'll be re-reading #CoBaB after those two. :D :D From my initial read, we're going to have so much to talk about!

message 6: by Ikram (new)

Ikram | 37 comments Mod
So I just started reading the book and omg it has already knocked my socks off.

message 7: by Sally (new)

Sally (bookishwondergoth) No days to avoid! I’ll just join in the conversation when I can. Have also started reading the book today :)

message 8: by Sally (new)

Sally (bookishwondergoth) Question: how are you guys pronouncing the word “dîviners”? My brain keeps tripping over it every time because it wants to read it as “di-vye-ners”, but then there’s an accent over the i which in English phonetics is î as in din, so div-in-ers. What do you guys think?

message 9: by Ikram (new)

Ikram | 37 comments Mod
That's exactly what I was thinking. I'm pronouncing it diviners in my head but I'm pretty sure that accent is there for a reason, haha. Let's see if anyone actually knows the correct pronunciation.

message 10: by Masooma (new)

Masooma | 26 comments I read 4 chapters yesterday and I'd say, it was a good start. In fact, I was really impressed with the action scene in the start between the girls. The plot looks seriously promising. Let's see how it unrolls. :)

message 11: by Masooma (new)

Masooma | 26 comments S.E. Berrow wrote: "Question: how are you guys pronouncing the word “dîviners”? My brain keeps tripping over it every time because it wants to read it as “di-vye-ners”, but then there’s an accent over the i which in E..."

I am pronouncing it just as Kimi is too. :)

message 12: by YALMC (new)

YALMC | 25 comments Mod
I really love the camaraderie in Co about! I hope it's one of the things we talk about when the time comes!!

message 13: by Sally (new)

Sally (bookishwondergoth) “ìmolè àwon òrishà. tàn sí mi ní kía báàyí. tan ìmólè sí ìpàsè awon omo re!”

“honor for aliens. shine to me now. turn your attention to the feast of your children!”

Google translate is a hoot XD

message 14: by Sally (new)

Sally (bookishwondergoth) How is everyone's reading experience coming along so far? I'm really enjoying it. I love the strange but at-the-same-time-familiar animals, and I really love the characters.

I'm struggling a little with the 'road trip' aspect of the book (forgive my crude analogy - journey, quest if you will). Not the book's fault, I just always find this kind of storyline quite slow-going. The action sequences though are absolutely stunning. I just read chapters 27-32 and oh my goodness, I definitely let out some sort of breath I didn't realise I'd been holding after I'd finished racing through these XD So exciting.

message 15: by Masooma (new)

Masooma | 26 comments S.E. Berrow wrote: "How is everyone's reading experience coming along so far? I'm really enjoying it. I love the strange but at-the-same-time-familiar animals, and I really love the characters.

I'm struggling a littl..."

I have read like 10 chapters so far and I must say that the action is remarkable. In fact, it was one of the best attention-grabbers in the opening chapter when Zelie fights Yemi. The animals are cool too, I agree. I loved the panther-like beast versions. They are the best so far, the ones that the soldiers were riding on. And I'm seriously curious about Inan, the character is love! Tzain is good too but Inan is making me curious and I seriously want to read more of his POV :)

message 16: by YALMC (new)

YALMC | 25 comments Mod
And - having read the whole book - I'm just sitting here chuckling.

PS - I want a snow leopard. :-)

message 17: by Sally (new)

Sally (bookishwondergoth) Masooma: Amari is my favourite character are the moment. I like Tzain also.

I’m sorry, Leah, I’ll try and read faster so we can discuss in the spoiler thread!!

message 18: by YALMC (new)

YALMC | 25 comments Mod
Sorry... That was meant to say I sit here chuckling! I'm enjoying everyone's reading joy!

message 19: by Masooma (new)

Masooma | 26 comments YALMC wrote: "Sorry... That was meant to say I sit here chuckling! I'm enjoying everyone's reading joy!"

I FINISHED IT AND I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO THINK. PLEASE HELP!

message 20: by Ikram (new)

Ikram | 37 comments Mod
I haven't been able to find time to pick the book up in the last few days. UGH. You try to do a PhD on YA to finally have an excuse for reading YA all day, but turns out that's not really how it goes.

message 21: by Madeline (new)

Madeline McGrath (madsmcgrath) I have been so busy (and will be the remainder of the week) that i have only been able to read the first few chapters...Hopefully this weekend i'll be able to pick it up again!!

message 22: by Sally (new)

Sally (bookishwondergoth) Masooma! There’s a Spoiler inclusive thread elsewhere in the group. I’ll see you in there as I just finished it too :) x

message 23: by Masooma (new)

Masooma | 26 comments S.E. Berrow wrote: "Masooma! There’s a Spoiler inclusive thread elsewhere in the group. I’ll see you in there as I just finished it too :) x"

Sorry, I got a bit late in getting back to you but I am at that spoiler party thread now ;) See ya there!