Play Book Tag discussion

The Bell Jar
This topic is about The Bell Jar
Archive: Other Books > The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath- 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jamie Zaccaria | 211 comments This was a beautifully written, haunting story. As someone who suffers from similar mental issues, this hit home in not always great ways. Plath had such a unique way to describe how depression and mental illness affected her. I can't help but wonder if the main character was meant to thrive or would end up meeting the same end as the author herself.

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments This is one that I always feel like I should read—it is a modern classic—but i just can't bring myself to do it because I know the general premise. Your review has me reconsidering....

Jamie Zaccaria | 211 comments I read it very quickly as it's not that long. It's also online with Project Gutenberg. If those tips help you decide at all :-)

message 4: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments Jamie wrote: "I read it very quickly as it's not that long. It's also online with Project Gutenberg. If those tips help you decide at all :-)"

They definitely do not hurt! Perhaps we will have a tag in the coming months that this will fit...

Michelle (MichelleBookAddict) (maslme) | 186 comments I liked your review for this. I read this ages ago and liked it. I also read it during my Gothic Romance reading time. I think I had just finished reading Wuthering Heights so the darkness of The Bell Jar was not something very depressing to me. I am curious if I’ll still like the book now after decades later.

message 6: by Brad (new)

Brad (cemilyplay) | 1 comments I tried to read this in college and was going through a time when anything the least bit dark was left in the corner for later. I am anxious to read it finally. What a different person I was back then. Who WAS that guy?