Play Book Tag discussion

Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened
This topic is about Hyperbole and a Half
Archive: Other Books > Hyperbole and a Half/Brosh - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Anita Pomerantz | 6432 comments I am not sure I have ever seen Allie Brosh's work on the Internet (her blog), but her sense of humor definitely dovetailed with mine. This book has some very, very funny segments. For me, she is least successful when she tackles the more serious topics of depression and identity, but I understand why humor can be helpful when things take a more serious turn. But my goodness, every single word about dogs in this book was hysterical to me . . .like I am really trying hard to stifle my hysterical laughter while reading it.

Well worth the short amount of time it takes to read . . .and her illustrations only add to the hilarity.

message 2: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6994 comments So why 3 stars? I have added it to my tbr bcause of your review here as other GR friends have rated it higher, so I'm curious why it wasn't higher for you.

message 3: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments She has some truly hilarious blog posts, but all of them combined in a book lost some of the entertainment value for me.

message 4: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6994 comments Nicole R wrote: "She has some truly hilarious blog posts, but all of them combined in a book lost some of the entertainment value for me."

That makes sense. I'll try to read it one at a time. I find Dave Barry to be like this, but then not all of his columns were funny either, and he was funniest before he got married the second time, or that's how it seemed back then.

Anita Pomerantz | 6432 comments Karin wrote: "So why 3 stars? I have added it to my tbr bcause of your review here as other GR friends have rated it higher, so I'm curious why it wasn't higher for you."

It was teetering toward the four stars, but I think it was a little inconsistent for me. There's definitely five star material in the book, but there's also some chapters that fell flat. But I would definitely recommend reading it regardless - - just not sure I would spend $12 on it. If you can get it from the library, it's worthwhile. My sense is that some of the chapters were lifted directly from her blog, and so not sure the value is there on the whole.

All that said, I enjoyed it.

message 6: by Cynda (new)

Cynda Good review and comments Anita. Being unfamiliar with Allie Bros and being a sometkmes caretaker of dogs, I am sure I would find it funny. Alas my library does not have a copy. If I see it at the used bookstore, I will definitely buy it.
Thanks for sharing.

Anita Pomerantz | 6432 comments Cynda wrote: "Good review and comments Anita. Being unfamiliar with Allie Bros and being a sometkmes caretaker of dogs, I am sure I would find it funny. Alas my library does not have a copy. If I see it at the u..."

Oh that's too bad . . .but I think you are wise not to spend the money.

Her blog is at the link below. Perhaps some of the content about dogs is on her blog!

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com/

Anita Pomerantz | 6432 comments Cynda wrote: "Good review and comments Anita. Being unfamiliar with Allie Bros and being a sometkmes caretaker of dogs, I am sure I would find it funny. Alas my library does not have a copy. If I see it at the u..."

Oh yes, some of the exact content of the book is on the blog. Like this:

http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com...

message 9: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6994 comments Anita wrote: "Karin wrote: "So why 3 stars? I have added it to my tbr bcause of your review here as other GR friends have rated it higher, so I'm curious why it wasn't higher for you."

It was teetering toward t..."

Thanks--I get most of my books from the library so will keep that in mind :)

message 10: by Cynda (new)

Cynda Anita wrote: "Cynda wrote: "Good review and comments Anita. Being unfamiliar with Allie Bros and being a sometkmes caretaker of dogs, I am sure I would find it funny. Alas my library does not have a copy. If I s..."

Thank you Anita. That was funny. Now I may understand why you had to stifle your hysterical laughter. My hysterical laughter did not sound musical when it came out. It was a bit strange kind of laughter. Thanks for sharing.