Bailey's/Orange Women's Fiction Group discussion

Sing, Unburied, Sing
This topic is about Sing, Unburied, Sing
2018 Book of the Month > June 2018 Sing, Unburied, Sing

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Penny | 681 comments Mod
I have this already but not the May book. This one looks a slimmer book so might be a quicker read

message 3: by Val (new) - rated it 4 stars

Val This was the 'bookies favourite' before the prize announcement and I think it deserved its place on the shortlist.
Is anyone else intending to read it?
If you have already read it, what did you think?

Penny | 681 comments Mod
I am about a quarter through - it's good so far with an original voice.

Lagullande | 76 comments Val wrote: "This was the 'bookies favourite' before the prize announcement and I think it deserved its place on the shortlist.
Is anyone else intending to read it?
If you have already read it, what did you think?"

I am intending to read it, Val, and I have it downloaded on my Kindle to take on holiday. But good intentions and all that.....

Penny | 681 comments Mod
enjoy your holiday Lagullande - sometimes its a good time for getting through a book!

message 7: by Val (new) - rated it 4 stars

Val Kindles really come into their own on holiday, hundreds of books to read without excess baggage fees. Have a great time Lagullande and if you don't get around to reading much, I hope it is because you are doing something exciting.

message 8: by Ace (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ace (aceonroam) I have already read this one, not too long ago and will chime in when the discussion gets going. I really liked some parts of this book, some characters especially. But I did have some issues with the book.
I more recently read her Salvage the Bones and perhaps could have benefitted from reading these the other way around. Ward has a way of describing the grim life of poor families of America.

message 9: by Ace (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ace (aceonroam) Enjoy your holiday Lagullande!

message 10: by Val (new) - rated it 4 stars

Val Ace, (view spoiler)

message 11: by Ace (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ace (aceonroam) Val, one of my issues was with Leonie (view spoiler)

(To be honest, I really hate myself for criticising Jesmyn Ward, she is super cool in real life. )

message 12: by Val (new) - rated it 4 stars

Val I have a similar issue with Elif Batuman. I like her articles, but disliked her novel.

message 13: by Val (new) - rated it 4 stars

Val The discussion never really got going on this one. Would you like me to find some book club type questions?
(This discussion will remain active and prioritised, even though we are starting a new book tomorrow.)

message 14: by Penny (last edited Jul 03, 2018 05:09AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Penny | 681 comments Mod
I'm still reading this but -got my copy of the The Mermaid and Mrs. Hancock by Imogen Hermes Gowar and to my complete surprise I'm loving it! So I have the 2 on the go!

Penny | 681 comments Mod
So I finally finished this one.
My thoughts - the writing is original and fresh, it is, in places, gritty, rough and raw and in others ephemeral. For me the cross over of ghost's voices and the real world was where I lost the plot a bit. I don't read fantasy or magical realism very often as I find it unbelievable. I found that the main story clashed with this side of the story - I was often lost as to who was real and who was dead. My biggest stumbling block was Leonie and Michael being such appalling parents. Jojo cares more for Kayla than Leonie does, in fact Leonie is consistently selfish and irresponsible, placing her children in bad situations with drugs and people she can't trust. I could not like her nor her friend. I was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt but as the story continued I was less willing to do so. Michael too is uncaring towards his children and doesn't place value on his family. Michael's relationship with his parents seemed just about redeemable but they didn't take the opportunity. Leonie's parents were the most decent in the book and without them the 2 children would have had no safety at all.

I struggled to finish this book mainly due to the characters of Leonie and Michael, and the style of writing. At times the writing was poetic - but in snippets. Other sections were in short jagged sentences that I found disrupted the flow of the narrative. Sometimes I would have to stop to work out what the subject of the sentence was. Add into that the ghosts appearing and the choppy timeline - I wasn't gripped and, while I'm glad I read it, I would not say it was a great read.