What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Looking for Fantasy Novels for Adults along the lines of The Pellinor Series.

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dakota (new)

Dakota (queendakota) | 37 comments I am looking for adult fantasy novels along the lines of Alison Croggon's Pelinor series. I have also read and enjoyed Harry Potter, Juliet Marillier, Robin McKinley.
I recently reread the Pelinor series and Harry Potter and am now looking for a book/series preferably about an adult female. I like romance and would hope for some, I prefer the characters to show loyalty to one person and not to jump from relationship to relationship. I also prefer a happy ending. Not opposed to YA, but am hoping for older characters (like 16 and up).

message 2: by El (new)

El | 502 comments Here's information about the Books of Pelinor in case it's helpful to anyone. I was unfamiliar with the series, so needed to look it up.
Pellinor is a fantasy series by Australian author Alison Croggon, spanning four books. The series is the retelling of the “Naraudh Lar-Chanë”, the Riddle of the Treesong, set in the fictional world of Edil-Amarandh. The story mainly revolves about the character of adolescent girl Maerad, who was forced into slavery as a child along with her mother, after the sacking of the Bard school of Pellinor.

message 3: by Ebookworm2016 (last edited Mar 16, 2018 08:24AM) (new)

Ebookworm2016 | 180 comments I haven't read the series you listed, but I read a lot of fantasy. So, can you list more specifically what you want? A journey? Contemporary or historical? Magic? Paranormal? Urban fantasy?

I like Patricia Briggs and Ilona Andrews. Both have strong female leads, romance, and are loyal to the person they pick. But they aren't what I call "epic journey" fantasy. That's my mental category for the medieval feeling, journey somewhere, Lord of the Rings type of book.

I just read a book by Sharon Shinn that is more "medieval fantasy" in feel. It's in her Elemental Blessings series. Royal Aire

message 4: by 0possum (new)

0possum | 71 comments Elizabeth Moon's series The Deed of Paksenarrion
has a very strong female lead. It's an epic journey sort of series. There is some romance but it's not the focus. I can't really remember but it may start up only in book 2.

message 5: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Except that the MC is a boy, you might like The Book of Three by Lloyd Alexander

And there is David Eddings's but again, a male MC, but he is joined by C'Nedra, who is his love interest.

The problem is--most of the "journey" type fantasy's feature male MC's.

And if you want one where everything is turned on its head (standalone, no romance) there is Villains by Necessity, a book which I totally loved. It's an assassin, female druid, centaur, thief, dark fae and a black knight--and it's up to THEM to save the world. . . . I have read and reread this book until it's falling to pieces. Unfortunately, Eve Forward wrote only 3 books, and all of them are standalones.

message 6: by 0possum (new)

0possum | 71 comments Ann aka Iftcan reminded me of another journey with a female protagonist, Mary Brown has a series called Pigs Don't Fly: The Unlikely Ones

message 7: by Dakota (new)

Dakota (queendakota) | 37 comments Ebookworm2016 wrote: "I haven't read the series you listed, but I read a lot of fantasy. So, can you list more specifically what you want? A journey? Contemporary or historical? Magic? Paranormal? Urban fantasy?

I like..."

So the Pelinor Series is basically like Lord of the Rings (medievalish feel, epic fantasy, good characters with good character, has magic type powers) but from a girl's POV. So I guess I'm looking for Epic Journey Fantasy with a female MC.

message 8: by Dakota (new)

Dakota (queendakota) | 37 comments Thanks for the recommendations. I am currently looking them up and am excited for some new material to read!

message 9: by Aerulan (last edited Mar 16, 2018 02:42PM) (new)

Aerulan | 1225 comments Patricia A. McKillip might appeal if you liked Robin McKinley.

Also maybe take a look at Howl's Moving Castle (YA, but delightful, and the main character is turned into an old woman for much of the story)

ETa also Martha Wells is one of my absolute favorite fantasy authors, her books are always very well done and often have less standard main characters/heroes/heroines.
Wheel of the Infinite for example has a middle aged female protagonist.
Oh! And The Curse of Chalion male protagonist but very good and the next book in the setting has a female main Paladin of Souls it's very good but I think will be better if you have the foundation of the first book.

message 10: by Ebookworm2016 (new)

Ebookworm2016 | 180 comments Amanda Bouchet--Kingmaker Chronicles. Three books, starting with "A Promise of Fire".

That one came to mind, right away, with your last description. I'll think through other books I've read.

message 11: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

The Fellowship of the Talisman is another stand alone that you might be interested in. The MC is, again male, but is joined by various people in his quest, including a girl who eventually becomes his love interest.

message 12: by Tris (new)

Tris Crescent | 87 comments There are two fantasy YA books, with female MC aged 16+, that I would recommend:
Throne of Glass by Sarah J Maas is the first book in the series. Main Character is an 18 year-old female assassin, Celaena Sardothien. There are currently six books out, plus several novellas. Book seven (final book) is being released hopefully in October 2018.
A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J Maas is the first book in her other series. It is a trilogy, but she is doing a spin-off series. Main Character is Feyre, who I believe is 19 years old.

These two books are not strictly based on a quest that involves a lot of travel, but there is a quest-element, and there is some travel.

I think there are a few other YA fantasy journeys with female MC that I would recommend, but I can't think of them at the moment.

message 13: by Jessica (last edited Mar 20, 2018 04:31PM) (new)

Jessica | 103 comments Graceling by Kristin Cashore is kind of older YA/adult fantasy. It's a trilogy, and each book has a different female MC.

The Lumatere Chronicles by Melina Marchetta is probably my favourite fantasy series. It's mainly from a a male POV though, but it's a really good series so I thought I'd recommend it anyway. The first book is Finnikin of the Rock.

message 14: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ice Crown has a tiny bit of this element too. It's sci fi and a standalone, but interesting. The science is pretty much non-existent, except that it takes place in the far future and on another planet. Still you might like it.

message 15: by Ebookworm2016 (new)

Ebookworm2016 | 180 comments “The Sharing Knife” series by Lois McMaster Bujold

It’s a 4 book series that starts with “Beguilement”

message 16: by SamSpayedPI (last edited Apr 05, 2018 05:41AM) (new)

SamSpayedPI | 2069 comments Some of Anne McCaffrey's "Dragon" series have female MCs, including Dragonsong and Dragonflight.

If you're in the mood for something silly, Terry Pratchett's comic fantasy Discworld series has a "Witches" subseries, starting with Equal Rites, Wyrd Sisters, and Witches Abroad.

message 17: by Ann aka Iftcan (last edited Apr 05, 2018 03:36PM) (new)

OOHH, and speaking of Sir Terry and the Discworld there is also the Susan Sto Helit series starring the granddaughter of DEATH Himself. (He always thinks of himself that way--bold, italic and all caps.) Soul Music is, I think, the first book that Susan herself appears in, but she is a secondary character in this book. Then there is Hogfather where she is the MC (oh, and this has been done as a movie) and Thief of Time (which is one of my all time favourite books. Any book where you use chocolate as a super weapon HAS to be a fav, right?)

And, expanding on the Witches series that Sam suggested, there is also Lords and Ladies (the witches battle the (evil) fae and in Maskerade there is a new witch, taking the place of Magrat who is busy with her queen stuff. In Carpe Jugulum Perdita, Nanny Ogg and Granny Witherwax take on vampires.