Beyond Reality discussion

General - Group Business > Nominations for June 2018

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Candiss (last edited Mar 24, 2018 11:30PM) (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Hi everyone,

It's time to open nominations for our June 2018 Books of the Month. Each group member can make 1 science fiction and/or 1 fantasy nomination in this thread. If you would like to make a nomination, please reply to this post with the title and author of the book(s) you would like to put forward for the group’s consideration. A couple of suggestions to keep in mind:

1. Telling us a little about the book and why you think it would be a good group read can help get other members interested in reading (and voting for) your nomination.

2. To see if your nomination has already been read by the group, you can check:

a. the group's bookshelf for Previous Books of the Month

and/or

b. these threads:
Master List of Previous Books of the Month 2012-Present
Master List of Previous Books of the Month 2006-2011

Books the group has read in the past 2 years are not eligible for current consideration. Being chosen as a past BotM prior to that time is not an automatic disqualification, but be aware that it may hinder your nomination’s chances at the polls.

General guidelines:
• Feel free to re-nominate a book that didn’t win in the polls in previous months!
• For questions regarding specifics such as book formats, books in series, self-nomination and various rules for nominations, please see the group FAQ.
• Seconding isn't necessary in this group.
• Friendly discussion & debate is strongly encouraged, but let's please keep things civil.

Poll schedule:
• Nominations will remain open through Friday, March 23.
• The first round of polls will open Saturday, March 24, and will run through Wednesday, March 28.
• The run-off polls go up Thursday, March 29, and will be open through Monday, April 2.

Thanks!

NOMINATIONS SO FAR:

SCIENCE FICTION:
Redshirts by John Scalzi
The Fireman by Joe Hill
Semiosis by Sue Burke
Sarah Canary by Karen Joy Fowler
Illuminae by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff
Only Forward by Michael Marshall Smith
The Last Good Man by Linda Nagata
Revenger by Alastair Reynolds
Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury
Nova by Samuel R. Delany

FANTASY:
The Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson
Wings of Wrath by C.S. Friedman
A Sorcerer's Treason by Sarah Zettel
Sunshine by Robin McKinley
Crossroads of Canopy by Thoraiya Dyer
Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett
Voice of Our Shadow by Jonathan Carroll
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle

message 2: by Christine (new)

Christine | 594 comments Redshirts by John Scalzi (SciFi)

message 3: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) Does Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson qualify? It is the fourth in the Mistborn series but set in a different Era with different characters. If yes then it would be my fantasy nomination.

So SF, I will renominate The Fireman by Joe Hill.

message 4: by Renata (new)

Renata Riva | 20 comments I would like to nominateSemiosis by Sue Burke for science fiction

message 5: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (last edited Mar 16, 2018 06:34AM) (new)

Kathi | 3154 comments Mod
Since C.S. Friedman’s Feast of Souls is our BotM this month, I will nominate the next book in the Magister series, Wings of Wrath, for Fantasy.

message 6: by Nick (new)

Nick (doily) | 966 comments For Science Fiction, Sarah Canary by Karen Joy Fowler

For Fantasy, A Sorcerer's Treason by Sarah Zettel

Both are books by thoughtful contemporary authors who write in cross-genres.

message 7: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Silvana wrote: "Does Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson qualify? It is the fourth in the Mistborn series but set in a different Era with different characters. If yes then it would be my fantasy nomination.

So SF,..."

Alloy of Law should be fine, as it has its own series name - Mistborn: The Alloy Era #1 - and I've read that it's self-contained.

message 8: by Mary (new)

Mary Catelli | 439 comments Sunshine by Robin McKinley. An alternate history/contemporary fantasy with an unusual twist on vampires.

Illuminae by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff: high-stakes interstellar chase.

message 9: by Random (new)

Random (rand0m1s) | 820 comments Candiss wrote: "Alloy of Law should be fine, as it has its own series name - Mistborn: The Alloy Era #1 - and I've read that it's self-contained. "

I have read the initial series as well as the second with Alloy of Law. While it would be richer if you read the initial series first, everything you need to know is provided for you and doesn't lack if you haven't.

message 10: by carol. (last edited Mar 21, 2018 08:47PM) (new)

carol. | 173 comments How about Only Forward for a sci-fi nomination? It's a very interesting book, humorous, off-beat, and then changing into something much deeper. Won the Philip K. Dick Award in 2000. Even better, it stands alone--no series required!

message 11: by Justine (new)

Justine (justinejustine) | 563 comments For fantasy I would like to nomimate Crossroads of Canopy by Thoraiya Dyer.

For SF, my nomination is The Last Good Man by Linda Nagata. I have read another near-future military SF trilogy by Nagata, The Red, and it was really good. The Last Good Man is her most recent novel.

I am just finishing Semiosis; it is very good and has some interesting ideas.

message 12: by Jim (new)

Jim Mcclanahan (clovis-man) | 480 comments For SF I will again nominate Revenger by Alastair Reynolds. A fascinating tale with lots of mystery and intrigue.

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) I will nominate Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett for fantasy.

message 14: by Paul (new)

Paul  Perry (pezski) | 218 comments Already a couple of sci-fi on the list I'd want to vote for, so I'll nominate a fantasy read:

Voice of Our Shadow by Jonathan Carroll

Carroll is simply a master of modern, dark, weird, off-kilter fantasy

message 15: by Maggie (new)

Maggie K | 298 comments They came close last month, so I will re-nominate A Wrinkle in Time for fantasy and Dandelion Wine for sci-fi

message 16: by Neil (new)

Neil | 6 comments Something by Samuel Delany or Olaf Stapledon in science fiction?

message 17: by Candiss (last edited Mar 24, 2018 08:48AM) (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Neil wrote: "Something by Samuel Delany or Olaf Stapledon in science fiction?"

Since you don't list a specific book, Neil, and nominations are now closed (so I can put up the first polls), I'm going to grab your suggestion of Samuel R. Delany and toss Nova into the ring for us. It's not overwhelmingly-long (like Dhalgren), is listed in the Science Fiction Masterworks collection, and is literally sitting on a shelf next to me at my desk, giving me side-eye. ;)

message 18: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments Nominations are now closed, and the first polls will open in a bit.

message 19: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments This is later than I intended, because I got called away.

The preliminary polls are up and run through the 28th.

SF: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

F: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 20: by Candiss (new)

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments The run-off polls for June are live. Vote through April 3.

Science Fiction: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

Fantasy: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

message 21: by Kathi, Moderator & Book Lover (new)

Kathi | 3154 comments Mod
Candiss wrote: "The run-off polls for June are live. Vote through April 3.

Science Fiction: https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1..."

Candiss, I sent you a message about our our June SF BotM, Semiosis. We may have an opportunity to have the author, Sue Burke, connect with those who are reading/ discussing the book. Please check your messages for one from me. Thanks!