Science and Inquiry discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Book Club 2018 > May 2018 Nominations

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Betsy | 1659 comments Mod
Please post a comment below to nominate a book for the group to read for May 2018.

Please use the "add book/author" link just above the comment box to insert a link to the Goodreads book page for the book you are nominating, so other members can more easily assess it.

You may nominate a book which has been suggested previously and did not win. You may nominate more than one book, but we might not include all of your nominations in the voting.

Please do not nominate a book which is unlikely to be available to all members, such as one which was just published within the last three months or which is only available on Kindle.

Nominations will close on March 21 or when we have about 10 good nominations, whichever occurs first.

message 4: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Joel wrote: "The Illustrated A Brief History of Time/The Universe in a Nutshell by Stephen Hawking
[bookcover:The Illustrated A Brief History of Time/The Universe in a Nutshell|2141..."

This is an omnibus edition including two separate books. I don't think we should be expected to read both of them. I'm going to insist that you choose one or the other. If a member wants to buy the ominibus, that is his or her choice.

message 5: by Joel (new)

Joel (joeldick) | 219 comments Betsy wrote: "I'm going to insist that you choose one or the other..."

In that case:

The Illustrated A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking
The Illustrated A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking

message 6: by Elentarri (last edited Mar 15, 2018 10:40PM) (new)

message 9: by Susan (last edited Mar 16, 2018 03:48AM) (new)

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarahsweetz25) | 4 comments I would like to nominate The Shape of Water

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (susannag) | 364 comments Isn't The Shape of Water a movie novelization?

message 13: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 3 comments I would like to nominate Total Health Reset: Stay Healthy,lose weight, and cure chronic diseases by William Corvriendt M.D.

message 14: by Jehona (new)

Jehona | 35 comments Sarah wrote: "I would like to nominate The Shape of Water"

Isn't that sci-fi?

message 15: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Elentarri wrote: "Furry Logic: The Physics of Animal Life
Furry Logic The Physics of Animal Life by Matin Durrani"

This book is a little too new, having just been published at the end of January 2018. Please wait a few months and re-nominate if you want.

message 16: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Sarah wrote: "I would like to nominate The Shape of Water"

Fiction is not eligible. Plus this was just published this month.

message 17: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Stacey wrote: "I would like to nominate Total Health Reset: Stay Healthy,lose weight, and cure chronic diseases by William Corvriendt M.D."

It looks like this book has limited availability. It's self published and is available from Amazon U.S. only in paperback format.

message 20: by Joel (new)

Joel (joeldick) | 219 comments Susanna - Censored by GoodReads wrote: "Aldrin wrote: "TIME TRAVEL EXPERIENCES: In a Sense, we all are Time Travelers! We are surviving each and every Active Time-Point in this Timeline......."

You want to be encouraged ..."

Those 33 reviews for the book also look like they are author promoted. Most of them speak about how great the author is, and look like they were paid promotion. Maybe the author is also trying to do self-promotion by posting it to this group.

I for one won't read the book if it's selected for this month's book.

message 21: by Betsy, co-mod (last edited Mar 17, 2018 06:46PM) (new)

Aldrin wrote: "TIME TRAVEL EXPERIENCES: In a Sense, we all are Time Travelers! We are surviving each and every Active Time-Point in this Timeline......."

I don't think this qualifies as science. Plus, we don't accept author self-nominations.

message 22: by Joel (new)

Joel (joeldick) | 219 comments Aldrin wrote: "TIME TRAVEL EXPERIENCES: In a Sense, we all are Time Travelers! We are surviving each and every Active Time-Point in this Timeline......."

Is this book written in German? Because there are a lot of random Capitalized Words.

message 23: by Elentarri (new)

Elentarri Betsy wrote: "Elentarri wrote: "Furry Logic: The Physics of Animal Life

This book is a little too new, having just been published at..."

The hardcover was published in January 2017.

message 24: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (cseydel) | 28 comments I'm not sure if I'm searching the group bookshelf properly, so I apologize if you've already read this one -- I think not, since it's marked "to-read" and there are no dates listed. But I nominate The Genius of Birds by Jennifer Ackerman.

message 25: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Elentarri wrote: "Betsy wrote: "Elentarri wrote: "Furry Logic: The Physics of Animal Life

....The hardcover was published in January 2017.."

You're right. I missed that. Sorry.

message 26: by Elentarri (new)

Elentarri Betsy wrote: "You're right. I missed that. Sorry. ."

No problem

message 27: by Nancy (new)

Nancy Mills (nancyfaym) | 403 comments I read this and really enjoyed it. I think it would be a good choice

message 29: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Mario wrote: "Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies"

We already read this book, for July 2014.

message 31: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Lucy wrote: "Siddhartha Mukherjee's The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer"

We already read that, for December 2012.

message 32: by Jim (new)

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 623 comments I'll nominate Homo Deus: A Brief History of Tomorrow yet again. It's come in second the last 2 months in a row. It's an excellent book, an expansion of his final chapters in Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind.

message 33: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Nominations are closed. I'll be posting the poll shortly.

message 34: by Betsy, co-mod (new)

Please vote for your preference at the following poll by the end of March 26:

https://www.goodreads.com/poll/show/1...

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.