EVERYONE Has Read This but Me - The Catch-Up Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
[ARCHIVES] BOTM SUGGESTIONS > BOTM Suggestions May '18 - Classics (1969 and before) JAPAN

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kaseadillla (new)

Kaseadillla | 1349 comments Mod
Hello all! Starting up the monthly discussions for May 2018 book-of-the-month suggestions. This discussion is for the CLASSICS CATEGORY.

As a reminder, books that qualify for this category must have a publication date 1969 and before. If the book you wish to nominate was published in 1970 or after, please make your suggestion on the Modern Classics/Popular Reads thread.

Secondly, by request and vote, May will be an Internationally Themed month - Japan!
Please nominate a book written by a Japanese author and/or originally written in Japanese. A good place to start would be THIS LIST on Goodreads.
This is a guideline, not a hard and fast rule, but would be great if we can stick to it.

I'll start off by suggesting Snow Country by Yasunari Kawabata.

message 2: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc I nominate Spring Snow by Yukio Mishima.

message 3: by Stephanie (last edited Mar 28, 2018 05:50AM) (new)

Stephanie Gwaltney | 94 comments If anyone wanted a tally of the nominations and the number of seconds so far (Update 3/28 After message 47):

I Am a Cat: I - 6 seconds
The Oxford Book of Japanese Short Stories ( Includes Rashomon) - 4 seconds
Snow Country - 4 seconds
The Makioka Sisters - 5 seconds
Kokoro - 5 seconds
The Tale of Genji - 3 seconds
The Woman in the Dunes - 2 seconds
Spring Snow - 2 seconds
Silence - 2 seconds
A Book of Five Rings: The Classic Guide to Strategy - 0 seconds
The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea - 0 seconds
Forbidden Colors - 0 seconds
The Kojiki: Records of Ancient Matters - 0 seconds
Tales of Moonlight and Rain - 0 seconds

message 4: by Marcos (new)

Marcos Kopschitz | 1765 comments I'm very excited about this first National Literatures month! By the excellent opening suggestions in both threads I guess we'll have great reads!

message 6: by Marcos (new)

Marcos Kopschitz | 1765 comments I nominate The Oxford Book of Japanese Short Stories.

This is a very interesting selection, which would let us have a wider view of Japanese Literature. Have a look at the good description of the book here in GR, of which I took this:

This collection includes the work of two Nobel prize-winners: Kawabata and Oe, the talented women writers Hirabayashi, Euchi, Okamoto, and Hayashi, together with the acclaimed Tanizaki, Mishima, and Murakami.

message 8: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Gwaltney | 94 comments I second I Am a Cat: I

message 9: by Kerri (new)

Kerri | 701 comments I'll nominate Kokoro by Natsume Sōseki!

I basically want to second everything right now so I will wait for a bit and see how it goes :)

message 10: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 729 comments The Makioka Sisters by Jun'ichirō Tanizaki

message 11: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) I would like to nominate Batlle Royale.

message 12: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 431 comments I second Snow Country.

daniela (daniela_nieblina) | 336 comments I second I Am a Cat! I'm fascinated with this idea, and I think a Japanese perspective will make this book amazing!

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 729 comments Battle Royale should be in the Modern Classic thread.

message 15: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Gwaltney | 94 comments I will add Battle Royale over on the Modern thread

message 16: by Zeljka (new)

message 17: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellamc) I'd like to nominate Roshomon by Ryunosuke Akutagawa.
I think...lemme check...yes - that's a second for the Oxford Book of Short Stories (It is included there, I've just ascertained.)

It's a short story, and the basis for a fairly famous movie. It can be found in a bunch of volumes including the Oxford book,

These are just by the one author - not a selection, so I think I'd probably rather read a selection, but just in case I'll note these:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3... (lots of editions, not all are illustrated, and I'm only nominating the story, not the illustrations.)

And here's one with only six stories. I have heard these are fairly complex, as most Japanese literature I've read has been, so maybe fewer is better - dunno. I just want to read at least that one. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6...

Danke - Ella

message 18: by Darren (new)

Darren I nominate The tale of genji.

message 19: by Monique (new)

Monique | 159 comments Second Snow Country

message 21: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) How do you tell what is modern classic? I want to no for next month

Sarah wrote: "Battle Royale should be in the Modern Classic thread."

☆*:.。. DANIELA .。.:*☆ wrote: "I second I Am a Cat! I'm fascinated with this idea, and I think a Japanese perspective will make this book amazing!"

message 22: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) Sarah wrote: "Battle Royale should be in the Modern Classic thread."

I am curious why this is a madern classic. I thought they had to be puplished before 1969. This was published in 2003.

message 23: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 729 comments The group rule is that Classics have to be published in 1969 or before. Anything 1970 or after goes into the Modern Classics category.

message 24: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) LOL I think my dyslexia is to blame. In my head 2003 is before 1969

message 25: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellamc) I will add another second to:
Kokoro
Spring Snow

message 26: by Kim (new)

Kim WV | 95 comments I second I Am a Cat 🐱

message 28: by Alison (new)

Alison (ajanteau) | 20 comments I second Makioka Sisters!

message 29: by Zainab (new)

Zainab Al Lawati (zainaballawati) | 221 comments I second The Makioka Sisters. Looks interesting

message 30: by MissLemon (new)

MissLemon  (misslemon) | 274 comments I'd really like to read The Tale of Genji one day but I think it's too long to read in one month so I will second I Am a Cat which looks good and is more manageable.

message 31: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (age1213) | 156 comments I nominate Silence by Shūsaku Endō

message 32: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) I will second the Mokoi sisters

message 33: by Megan (new)

Megan | 386 comments I second Tale of the Genji

message 34: by Charley Girl (new)

Charley Girl (charleygirl9) | 88 comments I second Silence

message 35: by Tori (new)

Tori | 823 comments Mod
I second Kokoro

message 36: by Sj (new)

Sj | 46 comments I nominate a the well-known classic and maybe cult classic (there is also a movie) - The Woman in the Dunes by Abe Kobo
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9...

I second the Makioka Sisters

message 37: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) I will second The woman in the Dunes. It sounds odd but interesting

message 38: by Taz (last edited Mar 21, 2018 09:03AM) (new)

Taz | 75 comments I vote Tale of Genji.

message 39: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Drees | 12 comments I second the tale of genji.

message 40: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Second The Woman in the Dunes

message 41: by NancyJ (last edited Mar 23, 2018 01:49AM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) I second the short stories mentioned by Cheryl and Ella above, and more specifically the story we now know as Rashomon. The original title was In a Grove, by Ryūnosuke Akutagawa. It is famous I think for exemplifying a multiple point of view story telling style. (It shows that everything we see or think is filtered or colored by our own subjective interpretations.) This would be great to discuss.

I second The Oxford Book of Japanese Short Stories or
The Oxford Book of Japanese Short Stories (reissued in 2010)

The Oxford book includes the story "In a Grove", aka Rashomon.
As far as I can tell, most of the stories were written before 1969, and some later. It's used in many literature classes, so there should be a lot of used copies out there (BN had one for $1).

Alternatively, there are other books available with stories only by Ryūnosuke Akutagawa.

Rashomon
Rashōmon and Seventeen Other Stories
Rashomon and Other Stories

It's also available as a play, and as a translated movie script (Kurosawa).

In a Grove is available for $.99 on kindle, and it appears to be available for free on Fullreads.com.

message 42: by Sierra (new)

Sierra J (sierraj0303) | 115 comments So many interesting nominations!
I second I Am a Cat: I
Snow Country & The Makioka Sisters

message 43: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) I nominate Tales of Moonlight and Rain.
The movie Ugetsu was based on these stories.

I second Spring Snow
I second Makioka Sisters

message 44: by Darren (new)

Darren I second Kokorro

message 45: by Kerri (new)

Kerri | 701 comments I second Silence

message 46: by Susan (new)

Susan | 442 comments This is such a new area to me, and everything sounds interesting- I can't wait to see what we decide!

message 47: by Marcos (new)

Marcos Kopschitz | 1765 comments I think The Oxford Book of Japanese Short Stories can really be very interesting as a comprehensive overview of Japanese Literature.

If you go to the book page on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Oxford-Japanes...

and then click on on "Look inside ", you can see parts of the book, like the "Contents" page at the beginning with the full list of authors and respective stories.

message 48: by Marcos (new)

Marcos Kopschitz | 1765 comments I second Silence.

And I'm very well impressed by the quality of the nominations! Congrats, everyone!

message 49: by KP (new)

KP | 42 comments I am a cat
Oxford book Japanese stories
Snow country

message 50: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) Last chance for seconds.

Kaseadillla said she planned to put up the poll on April 1 - tomorrow.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.