PenPal Readers discussion

Japanese Fairy Tales
This topic is about Japanese Fairy Tales
Archive [General] > April - 'Fantasy books' Discussion

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anne ✨ (last edited Apr 01, 2018 04:38AM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments April's theme : "Fantastical World" : fantasy, folklore, fairytale, myths, magic, creatures, retellings, etc

You have TWO options for participation (you can do either or both):
1) Read the official Fantasy BOTM, chosen by voting poll: Japanese Fairy Tales
This book can be sourced free on Project Gutenberg. For more info, see this thread...
2) Read ANY Fantasy themed book(s) of your choice

Source the book, Begin reading, and Join the conversation.
- log your fantasy reads for the month (or year to date)
- share thoughts on the themed books you're reading this month (no spoilers)
- talk about fantasy books you want to read, fantasy books you've read recently, or your all-time favorites
- connect with other members who enjoy reading in the Fantasy genre

Minimum participation to complete is: read ONE fantasy themed book, and share ONE comment in the thread!

Happy reading and chatting in Fantasyland!

Tiina (ladybuginlove) | 371 comments Since fantasy is one of my favourite genres, I hope I'll find some new books to read among the books everyone reads this month!

I'm about halfway through with Japanese Fairy Tales, because I couldn't wait to read it. I absolutely love it! For me, some stories are familiar from my childhood, but revisiting them feels great! I'm not sure how I feel about the explanation of Japanese words and name meanings being mid-texts (I don't know if it's just the ebook thing), but it's certainly more convenient.

I studied Japanese language and culture for a year in university, so I feel that style-wise, the translation is a bit simplified, but personally, I don't mind. I think it's an AMAZING read! I definitely recommend you give it a try!

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments The book was completed in 1908 in Japan and designed as a book for children, so fairly simple but a bit frightening for young kids. The translation is alright but in the story of the tortoise they mean turtle, as tortoises don't live in the sea, of course! I've read just over 100 pages so far.

If you finish this book you can always get The Chinese Fairy Book free from Project Gutenberg as well!
http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/29939

Tiina (ladybuginlove) | 371 comments Jazzy wrote: "The book was completed in 1908 in Japan and designed as a book for children, so fairly simple but a bit frightening for young kids. The translation is alright but in the story of the tortoise they ..."

Oh it's definitely smooth and pleasant to read! I'll add Chinese Fairy Book to my to-read list!

message 5: by Neo (last edited Apr 06, 2018 05:15AM) (new)

Neo (neosideralis) I am currently reading Cloaked in Shadow. The story itself is enjoyable - I think fans of the ACOTAR series might like this - but, unfortunately, it is full of spelling mistakes as well as grammatical ones. Not that I expect a book to be without a fault, but in one of the chapters I came across at least 3 errors. It is starting to work a bit on my nerves, which is a shame as the story is not bad at all.

---- (edit) ----
I finished it. The errors I mentioned started to annoy me at some point, so I gave the book 3 stars. Bit of a shame though..

Tiina (ladybuginlove) | 371 comments I also finished Paprika recently. Although it's more science-fiction, I think the second part qualifies for fantasy as well, because of the creatures coming from the dreams. It was somewhat fun to read and I definitely enjoyed it more than other Yasutaka Tsutsui's books, so now all that's left for me is to watch the anime movie based on the book.