EVERYONE Has Read This but Me - The Catch-Up Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
[ARCHIVES] BOTM SUGGESTIONS > BOTM Suggestions May '18 - Modern Classic/Popular (1970 and after) JAPAN

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kaseadillla (last edited Mar 15, 2018 05:58PM) (new)

Kaseadillla | 1437 comments Mod
Hello all! Starting up the monthly discussions for May 2018 book-of-the-month suggestions. This discussion is for the MODERN CLASSICS/POPULAR READS CATEGORY.

As a reminder, books that qualify for this category must have a publication date 1970 and after. If the book you wish to nominate was published 1969 or prior, please make your suggestion on the Classics thread.

Secondly, by request and vote, May will be an Internationally Themed month - Japan!
Please nominate a book written by a Japanese author and/or originally written in Japanese. A good place to start would be THIS LIST on Goodreads.
This is a guideline, not a hard and fast rule, but would be great if we can stick to it.

I'll start off by suggesting 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami.

message 3: by Rachelnyc (last edited Mar 15, 2018 06:06PM) (new)

Rachelnyc I second 1Q84. It's one of the oldest books on my tbr list!

message 4: by Stephanie (last edited Mar 28, 2018 05:50AM) (new)

Stephanie Gwaltney | 94 comments If anyone wanted a tally of the nominations and the number of seconds so far (Update 3/28 After message 64):

1Q84 - 12 seconds
Kafka on the Shore - 8 seconds
Ring - 7 seconds
Battle Royale - 4 seconds
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle - 3 seconds
Sword Art Online, Vol. 01: Aincrad - 2 seconds
Norweigan Wood - 2 seconds
Death Note, Vol. 1: Boredom - 1 second
After Dark - 1 second
Kitchen - 1 second
The Guest Cat - 0 seconds
The Travelling Cat Chronicles - 0 seconds
The Elephant Vanishes - 0 seconds
What I Talk About When I Talk About Running - 0 seconds
Total Aikido: The Master Course - 0 seconds
Manazuru - 0 seconds
The Devotion of Suspect X - 0 seconds
Out - 0 seconds
My Brother's Husband, Volume 1 - 0 seconds
The Housekeeper and the Professor - 0 seconds
The Gun - 0 seconds
Men Without Women - 0 seconds
The Oxford Book of Japanese Short Stories moved to classics page
Pachinko Korean Author
A Tale for the Time Being American Author
The Remains of the Day British Author

message 5: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Gwaltney | 94 comments I second 1Q84

message 6: by Marcos (last edited Mar 15, 2018 07:28PM) (new)

Marcos Kopschitz | 1863 comments Mod
Edited to move the nomination to the Classics thread.

message 7: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Gwaltney | 94 comments I nominate the light novel Sword Art Online, Vol. 01: Aincrad

message 8: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Gwaltney | 94 comments Marcos wrote: "I nominate The Oxford Book of Japanese Short Stories.

This is a very interesting selection, which would let us have a wider view of Japanese Literature. Have a look at the good desc..."

That spans both our classics and modern categories.. I am not really sure if that should go here or in the classics category?

message 9: by Marcos (new)

I thought about that, but as it fits both, could go both categories. I decided here because this book was published after 1970, but actually now I think it would fit Classics a little better than here.

message 10: by Ian (new)

Ian Gwaltney (igwaltney3) | 22 comments I second Sword Art

and nominate Total Aikido: The Master Course - Gozo Shioda

message 11: by Marcos (new)

And because there may be a lot of nominations here and possibly less there, I just moved my nomination to the Classics thread. :-)

message 12: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 799 comments Second 1Q84

message 13: by Quinty (new)

Quinty | 141 comments I second Death Note and Sword Art Online

message 14: by Alyssa (new)

Alyssa I second 1Q84.

message 15: by Kerri (new)

Kerri | 700 comments I would like to nominate The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro. I've been meaning to read the book since I watched the movie but haven't gotten around to it yet :)

message 16: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) I would like to nominate the Wind -Up Bird Chronicle by Hurkui Murmkami. This is one everyone seems to have read but me.

message 17: by Emily (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) I'd like to second The Remains of the Day, 19Q4, and Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. I feel like all of those are books that everyone has read but me!

message 18: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Gwaltney | 94 comments Added Battle Royale here as it was nominated on the Classics thread and it was written in 1999.

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 799 comments I second Battle Royale!

message 20: by Ella (last edited Mar 17, 2018 02:27PM) (new)

Ella (ellamc) I'd like to second the following:

1Q84
Wind-Up Bird Chronicle

message 21: by Darren (new)

Darren I second IQ84 and nominate What I talk about when I talk about running, and Manazuru by Hirami Kawakami.

message 22: by Monique (new)

Monique | 159 comments I nominate Kafka on the Shore

message 23: by Melanie (new)

Melanie I will second Battle Royal and the short story anthology.

message 24: by Nicole (new)

Nicole I would like to nominate Pachinko. Not sure if it qualifies but I believe the book begins in Korea and then travels to Japan for a good portion of the book.

message 25: by Tori (last edited Mar 18, 2018 11:27AM) (new)

Tori | 776 comments Mod
I want to second:

Battle Royale
IQ84

message 26: by Hannah (new)

Hannah I second Kafka on the Shore and 1Q84 and nominate A Tale for the Time Being

message 27: by Zeljka (new)

Zeljka | 332 comments Pachinko was written by Min Jin Lee, a Korean-American author, and according to various sources on the Internet Kazuo Ishiguro is an English writer with Japanese origins - in addition he writes in English about characters in England.

So I don`t think either Pachinko or The Remains of the Day belong to this category:(

message 28: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Zeljka wrote: "Pachinko was written by Min Jin Lee, a Korean-American author, and according to various sources on the Internet Kazuo Ishiguro is an English writer with Japanese origins - in addition he writes in ..."

Opps! I should really read the guidelines. But, thank you for addressing this :)

message 29: by Marcos (new)

Yes, I was about to mention that. Zeljka is right.

Ishiguro was born in Japan but immigrated to the UK at an early age. He is considered a British writer. So I'm afraid he is not eligible.

I very much want to read The Remains of the Day, even nominated it here some time ago. But it's not going to be this month on this theme. :-)

message 30: by Zainab (new)

Zainab Al Lawati (zainaballawati) | 234 comments What about A Tale for the Time Being?
The author was born in the US and is considerd American Japanese, but the book is set in Japan.
If it is counted then I second it.

message 31: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Gwaltney | 94 comments Melanie wrote: "I will second Battle Royal and the short story anthology."

If you meant The Oxford Book of Japanese Short Stories, we are doing that one on the classics thread.

message 32: by Marcos (new)

Zainab wrote: "What about A Tale for the Time Being?
The author was born in the US and is considerd American Japanese, but the book is set in Japan."

Being set in Japan does not qualify a book as Japanese Literature. Suppose she writes another book set in Russia. That won't make her a writer of Russian Literature. So, not eligible, I'm afraid. She's a very interesting author, it seems, but an American author.

Like Jhumpa Lahiri, who was born in London, the daughter of Bengali Indian emigrants. Her family moved to the United States when she was two. Not an Indian author, despite her Indian heritage, but an American author.

message 33: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) Darren wrote: "I second IQ84 and nominate What I talk about when I talk about running, and Manazuru by Hirami Kawakami."

I will second Kafka on the shore

message 34: by Ella (new)

Ella (ellamc) I'll also second

Kafka on the Shore

message 35: by Kerri (new)

Kerri | 700 comments Oops! I just saw it on the list and didn’t think to research it further. Sorry everybody! It’ll just need to be nominated another time I guess.

message 36: by Kim (new)

Kim WV | 96 comments I’d like to nominate Ring by Kōji Suzuki and Joy Luck Club by Amy Tan although I think Tan is Chinese-American.

message 37: by Marcos (last edited Mar 17, 2018 05:29PM) (new)

Amy Tan is an American writer, therefore she is not eligible as well.

message 38: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Gwaltney | 94 comments Joy Luck Club was also already read by the group in July 2016, so it would be a re-read anyways.

message 39: by MissLemon (new)

MissLemon  (misslemon) | 298 comments I would like to read something by Haruki Murakamiso second Kafka on the Shore as its on a few lists of 21st century' best so far' that I've seen.

message 40: by Renee (new)

Renee (elenarenee) I would like to second After Dark. Can I second both the book and the author ? I just finished Norweigian Wood. It was so good I want more by this author

message 41: by Marcos (new)

Hi, Renee!
We only second books, not authors, because it is a choice of books.

message 42: by daniela (last edited Mar 19, 2018 12:25PM) (new)

daniela (daniela_nieblina) | 342 comments I second 1Q84.

edit:
I also second Ring.

message 43: by Dorothee (new)

Dorothee | 37 comments I second Kafka on the shore

message 44: by Hectaizani (new)

Hectaizani I second Ring by Kōji Suzuki

message 45: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 34 comments I nominate Norwegian Wood

message 46: by Alison (new)

Alison (ajanteau) | 20 comments I second Ring

message 47: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Second Ring

message 48: by Laura (new)

Laura (lfergu11) | 86 comments I second Kafka on the shore and also nominate Out

message 50: by Sj (new)

Sj | 46 comments hello - I am new to this, so please let me know if I am missing something or posting incorrectly

I second both 1Q84 and Ring

I recommend The Travelling Cat Chronicles by Hiro Arikawa (I understand it has been quite popular internationally, so I think it may count as a modern classic)
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.