2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2018 > 2018 Reading Challenge Movie Night!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 132 (132 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments 2018 Reading Challenge Movie Night!
Duration: March 18, 2018 through April 29, 2018

Dig through that discount DVD bin or search your favorite streaming service for any of the movies listed in the next post! They are all movies based on 2017 Buddy & Group Reads!

Decide what movie(s) you want to watch and whether you want to curl up with your cat or watch with a couple of Goodreads friends. Decide when you will watch, then fill the largest container you can find with hot buttered popcorn! Crush some ice into your favorite glass and pour in your favorite soda! And don’t forget a giant box of your favorite candy! BONUS: A raffle ticket will be awarded for each movie watched!

Post here and let us know…

1. What movie(s) are you watching and when?
2. Who is watching the movie(s) with you?
3. Are you eating traditional movie snacks or something more original?
4. What was the best/worst part of the movie?
5. What was better – book or movie? And why, of course!

And be sure to test your book/movie knowledge with the quote of the day!

message 2: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Below is a list of all 2017 Buddy & Group Reads that have become movies and/or television series. If there is more than one year next to the title, there are multiple versions of that title.

(Please Note: We tried to be very thorough with this list but some of these titles might be hard to come by!)

A Clockwork Orange (1971)
Allegiant (2016)
A Man Called Ove (2015)
American Gods (2017)
A Tale of Two Cities (1917, 1935, 1958, 1980, 1984, 1989, 2015)
Big Little Lies (2017)
Brave New World (1980, 1998,
Bram Stoker’s Dracula (1992)
Cell (2016)
Chocolat (2000)
City of Bones (2013)
Divergent (2014)
Dracula (1931, 1979)
Everything Is Illuminated (2005)
Frankenstein (1931)
Hidden Figures (2016)
I Am Number Four (2011)
Insurgent (2015)
Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norell (2015)
Les Miserables (1952, 1978, 1998, 2000, 2012)
Life of PI (2012)
Little Women (1933, 1949, 1978, 1994, 2017)
Mary Shelley’s Frankestein (1994)
Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children (2016)
Murder on the Orient Express (1974, 2001, 2006, 2015, 2017)
Northanger Abbey (2007)
Persuasion (1960, 1971, 1995, 2007)
Plainsong (2004)
Slaughterhouse Five (1972)
The Book Thief (2013)
The Dark Tower (2017)
The Giver (2014)
The Golden Compass (2007)
The Great Gatsby (1924, 1926, 1949, 2000, 2013)
The Handmaid’s Tale (1990, 2017)
The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (1981, 2005)
The Light Between Oceans (2016)
The Scarlet Letter (1917, 1926, 1934, 1973, 1979, 1995, 2004, 2015)
The Shining (1980, 1997)
The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants (2005)
The Tommyknockers (1993)
The Unbearable Lightness of Being (1988)
To Kill a Mockingbird (1962)
Under the Dome (2013)
White Teeth (2002)
Wuthering Heights (1939, 1992, 2009, 2011, 2018)
Young Frankenstein (1974)

message 3: by Mary Pat (last edited Apr 14, 2018 07:01AM) (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Participants

Amber - 2/9
Becky - 0/11
Dania - 0/3
Debra - 7/15
Dianne - 0/8
Dylin - 4/13
Ilona - 1/3
Janine - 1/3
Jennifer - 0/6
JoJo - 0/10
Katie - 0/7
Keturah - 0/1
Kristin - 4/6
Lainey - 3/4
Laura - 1/4
Lila -
LIndsay - 1/1
Mary Pat - 4/6
Meghan - 0/4
Mikayla - 0/10
Rachelnyc - 1/5
SarahKat - 1/4
Stefani - 2/10
Susy - 11/15

message 4: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments I am going for six as well but it might turn out to be more! I have not seen some of these at all and some I have not seen for a long time!

Frankenstein (1931)
Young Frankenstein
Life of Pi
The Handmaid's Tale (1990)
Cell
The Golden Compass
Insurgent
Allegiant
Brave New World
The Dark Tower
Plainsong
The Giver

message 5: by Stefani - SpelingExpirt (last edited Mar 18, 2018 12:49PM) (new)

Stefani - SpelingExpirt (speling_expirt) | 585 comments I'm going to aim for 10 and update as I go :)

Probably from the list below:

Owned
The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Netflix
City of Bones
Les Miserables
To Kill A Mockingbird
Wuthering Heights
Dracula
Prime
Divergent
A Man Called Ove
American Gods
Frankenstein
The Light Between Oceans
Under the Dome

message 6: by Becky (new)

Becky | 64 comments I'm going to try for 11.

message 7: by Lynn (last edited Mar 30, 2018 04:17PM) (new)

Lynn | 297 comments I am going to try for 13 movies!! I will update my list as I go along.

4/13

1. Northanger Abbey (1987)
2. Murder on the Orient Express (1974)
3. I Am Number Four
4. Persuasion (2007)

*My detailed responses are listed in the update posts to converse space :)

message 8: by Debra (last edited Apr 21, 2018 06:15PM) (new)

Debra Barstad | 362 comments I'm going to shoot for 15 of them.
1.City of Bones alone This was an okay movie for me I did not find a best nor a worst part in this movie.
2.Divergent alone I liked this movie but at the same time it was unsettling that they would pit the different fractions against each other. The book contains more dialogue than the movie. but the movie contained enough of the books information to make it interesting.
3.Slaughterhouse-Five alone Movie seemed like a comedy. The book had more details but the movie seemed to bring it all together. After reading the book and than watching the movie it seemed to bring images that I had to light when reading the book.
4. Big Little Lies alone. Seemed rushed and parts of the book which I felt important were not in book. Book was better.
5. Plainsong Alone. This is one of the happy feel good type movies so there really was no bad part. The book is normally better than the movie and in this case I would not know for sure as I have not read the book. But looking at the movie I may have to read this book.
6. Cell Alone. The movie overall followed the book closely, It makes me wonder if something like this could really happen in today's time seeing as so many people are attached to their cell phones. The book is always better as there is more details that they would not be able to fit all of them into a movie. Stephen King does a pretty good job of making sure the true essence of his books make it into his movies.
7.Les Misérables Alone.I liked how it followed the book closely. This movie and book were pretty close to each other so I would have to say both.
8. The Shining Alone. Any of Stephen King movies have that element of surprise so there is no really best nor worst in his movies as it all ties in somehow. The book had more detail but as with most movie adapted from books not all the dialogue will fit in the movie.
9. The Light Between OceansAlone. I did not much care for this movie not sure what it was about it I did not like but found the whole movie really boring. I have not read the book but if it is as slow moving as the movie can't say as if I will read it.
10.Murder on the Orient ExpressAlone. I did not care much for the book or movie. I guess Agatha Christie is not my cup of tea as far as authors to read.
11. Under the DomeAlone. I watched this tv mini series and have read the book and I found both enjoyable. Stephen King did it again where he makes me wonder if something like this could really happen in today's time.
12. Everything Is IlluminatedAlone I was not impressed with this movie it seemed dull and did not do the book justice.
13. A Clockwork Orangealone. This was a very weird movie and not sure I enjoyed it much but it did have some thought about what the future does hold seeing as there are so many people that are incarcerated and could do something like this.
14.The Unbearable Lightness of Beingalone. Not really what I was thinking it would be but overall a good movie.
15.Draculaalone. I liked this movie but I have a fun desire for all vampires. This is a true classic.

message 9: by Susy (last edited Apr 29, 2018 03:27PM) (new)

Susy (susysstories) Will try and watch 15 of them. → Completed, upping it to 20!

1. Cell
2. Brave New World (1980)
3. Brave New World (1998)
4. Murder on the Orient Express (1974)
5. The Giver (2014)
6. To Kill a Mockingbird (1962)
7. Slaughterhouse-Five (1972)
8. Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (1994)
9. Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)
10. The Tommyknockers (1993)
11. Persuasion (2007)
12. A Man Called Ove (2015)
13. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (2005)
14. The Great Gatsby (1974)
15. The Great Gatsby (2013)
16. Les Miserables (1998)
17. The Unbearable Lightness of Being (1988)
18. Wuthering Heights (1992)
19. The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants (2005)
20. The Golden Compass (2007)

Movies watched: 20/20

message 10: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 2811 comments I will try for 4. I'm not sure which 4 yet. I might watch Golden Compass with my son. Everything else will be watched on my own (American Gods maybe), or with my boyfriend (A Clockwork Orange and other things)

message 11: by Katie (new)

Katie (littlelistmaker) | 61 comments Going for 7! Maybe 8. Will update as I go with the fun questions.

Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)
Divergent
Insurgent
Allegiant
Northanger Abbey
The Great Gatsby (2013)
Wuthering Heights (2009 and/or 2011)

message 12: by Jennifer (last edited Apr 09, 2018 06:01PM) (new)

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) | 316 comments I am going for 6.

Big Little Lies, Finished 3/21, by myself
The Giver, 3/24, by myself
Cell, 3/24, with the hubby and 4 yr old
The Great Gatsby, 3/26, by myself
Slaughterhouse five, 4/01, by myself
Little Women, 4/01, by myself
Mary Shelley's Frankenstein, 4/07, with my hubby

message 13: by Debra (new)

Debra Barstad | 362 comments updated msg 10 with first movie

message 14: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12008 comments Debra wrote: "updated msg 10 with first movie"
Congrats on your first movie!

message 15: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 297 comments I updated message #9. I have watched 1 movie so far. Just a note for anyone interested: there is another Northanger Abbey movie in existence. It was made in 1987. Here's a picture of it if anyone wants to look it up :)

It's the one I watched tonight :)

Stefani - SpelingExpirt (speling_expirt) | 585 comments A quiet night at work last night means that I completed my first film by watching Les Miserables. 1/10

message 17: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Stefani - SpelingExpirt wrote: "A quiet night at work last night means that I completed my first film by watching Les Miserables. 1/10"

That does make me wonder what kind of work you do...?

Les Miserables, still on my TBW list...

message 18: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) I watched Insidious....which isn't on this list....couldn't help myself lol

Stefani - SpelingExpirt (speling_expirt) | 585 comments Susy wrote: "Stefani - SpelingExpirt wrote: "A quiet night at work last night means that I completed my first film by watching Les Miserables. 1/10"

That does make me wonder what kind of work you do...?

Les M..."

I basically sit all night and wait for companies to call and tell me their connections are down and they I get engineers on it to fix it. Sundays are always dead. Last night I watched Les Mis and half of season 2 of Parks and Recs. It's a boring job but nights like that are good.

message 20: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Stefani - SpelingExpirt wrote: "t's a boring job but nights like that are good."

Yes, I can imagine!

message 21: by Ketty (new)

Ketty (bowsandbooks) | 263 comments I will at least watch Cell! I forgot this was turned into a movie and I don't know why. It's one of my favorite King novels and I have a small crush on John Cusack. -cough-

I don't know what others I will watch. There's some I want to see but want to read first still (Divergent). So for now...just Cell and see what I can find.

message 22: by Ilona, Global Moderator (last edited Apr 17, 2018 10:42AM) (new)

Ilona | 3986 comments I will definitely try to watch a couple of these! Let's aim for 3.

2/3

1. What movie(s) are you watching and when? Big Little Lies
2. Who is watching the movie(s) with you? Nobody
3. Are you eating traditional movie snacks or something more original? No food, just tea.
4. What was the best/worst part of the movie? Best: Good casting. Worst: Celeste's/Nicole Kidman's wig looked incredibly fake, and I couldn't stop staring at it.
It has been a couple of years since I read the book, but I think that the series does a pretty good job. However, I am one of those the-book-is-always-better people, so I am gonna say the book :P

1. What movie(s) are you watching and when? The Book Thief
2. Who is watching the movie(s) with you? Nobody
3. Are you eating traditional movie snacks or something more original? Only water
4. What was the best/worst part of the movie? The narrator, which is the absolute best part of the book, was only a bare minimum in the film. Best part is the basement full of new words that Liesel is learning. I don't remember that from the book, but it is so cool.
Book, definitely!

message 23: by Mary Pat (last edited Mar 19, 2018 01:59PM) (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments QUOTE OF THE DAY

Every day, at approximately 5:00p.m. EST (USA), I will post a quote from one of the books/movies listed in this challenge! Reply with your guess as to the quote's origin! I will provide the answer for the previous day just prior to posting the next day's quote!

Good Luck!

message 24: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Quote #1: 3/19/2018

“I was within and without, simultaneously enchanted and repelled by the inexhaustible variety of life.”

message 25: by Debra (new)

Debra Barstad | 362 comments My guess is the Great Gatsby by Nick

message 26: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 170 comments Sign me up for 5 please.

message 27: by Lynn (last edited Mar 20, 2018 02:40AM) (new)

Lynn | 297 comments Update to post #9. 2/13 done!

I watched Murder on the Orient Express (1974). Here are my thoughts on it & last night's watch of Northanger Abbey (1987)

1. What movie(s) are you watching and when? Northanger Abbey - There is a 1987 BBC version which I own on DVD. (watched 3/19/18)

2. Who is watching the movie(s) with you? No one. Just me, myself & I.

3. Are you eating traditional movie snacks or something more original? Just water tonight.

4. What was the best/worst part of the movie? The best part was that it's based on a Jane Austen novel and I am an Austenite at heart! Also, I liked the casting of Catherine Moreland. The cinematography was the worst part. It was obviously NOT digitally remastered. The editing was very choppy and grainy, and the lighting incredibly poor. Nothing like we're used to here in 2018 lol Oh, and I hate the whole Thorpe family as usual. They're really just awful people.

5. What was better – book or movie? And why, of course! The book is usually better than the movie and that's the case here. The book is more light-hearted and I prefer that actually. Plus, some of the 'gothic' dream sequences shown in the film were weird & awkward to see actually play out.

Memorable quote from the film: "In my opinion, anyone - lady or gentleman - who has no pleasure in a good novel must be intolerably stupid." - Mr. Tilney

---

1. What movie(s) are you watching and when? Murder on the Orient Express (1974) --- watched 3/20/18 in the wee hours of the morning

2. Who is watching the movie(s) with you? All alone again

3. Are you eating traditional movie snacks or something more original? I drank water and ate Hershey's Nuggets with Almonds (yummy!)

4. What was the best/worst part of the movie? Overall, I thought it was good although I was not entirely sold on the casting for Hercule Poirot. I don't think anyone can play him quite the way I personally imagined him lol But Finney did an okay job, I guess. I liked the humor peppered here and there throughout the film. I loved Lauren Bacall as Mrs. Hubbard. She stole the show er, movie. Sean Connery was unnaturally stiff. I know that was part of his characterization, but I wasn't feeling his acting in this movie. Maybe he was bummed he wasn't the lead?! lol Still, he was easy on the eyes as ever! The film was eerie and atmospheric. The middle lagged, just like the book did, but like the book, the ending made it all worth it.

5. What was better – book or movie? And why, of course! The book is better, of course, although this is probably the best adaptation of this work you'll find out there.

message 28: by Debra (new)

Debra Barstad | 362 comments updated msg 10 with new movie

message 29: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (last edited Mar 20, 2018 12:11PM) (new)

SarahKat | 2811 comments 1/4

The Handmaid's Tale. Started it when it first came out but never finished. Until this morning!
Boyfriend started it with me but he lost interest, which is why I hadn't finished it.
Coffee.
I cannot remember a lot of specifics. I know overall, I like the show a lot. Sometimes it can drag a little too long. Lots of extended silences, which works a lot of the time, but sometimes it's too much.
I like them both equally. I like the feel of the book. I like that the show shows sides of what's happening we don't get to see in the book.

Curiosity: Why is A Song of Ice and Fire not on here? That was a buddy read last year as well. I know it's a show, not a movie, but so is the 2017 Handmaid's Tale and American Gods.

message 30: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Answer - Quote #1: 3/19/2018

“I was within and without, simultaneously enchanted and repelled by the inexhaustible variety of life.”

The Great Gatsby

Debra called it!

message 31: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Quote #2: 3/20/2018

"I like good strong words that mean something…"

Stefani - SpelingExpirt (speling_expirt) | 585 comments My gf and I had a nice little movie night last night and watched To Kill A Mockingbird. It was a rewatch for me and the first time for my gf - it's her favourite book - she finished it by saying the book was better.

I'm a sucker for Gregory Peck films so I was a big fan. 2/10

message 33: by Susy (new)

Susy (susysstories) Update message 11

Just watched Cell (8 PM).

Nobody.

Just had dinner so no snacks, just a glass of wine.

I liked the beginning best, good start, although different from the book. Then in the middle it seemed to drag on for a bit and at the same time I was like, "What? But you skipped a part!". Didn't quite understand the end....maybe because I wasn't expecting that ending.

Book: more elaborate, less difficulties staying focused.

Movies watched: 1/15

message 34: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Answer - Quote #2: 3/20/2018

"I like good strong words that mean something…"

Little Women

(no one guessed on this quote)

message 35: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Quote #3: 3/21/2018

“Are you sure self-pity is a luxury you can afford, Jack?”

message 36: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 297 comments Mary Pat wrote: "Quote #3: 3/21/2018

“Are you sure self-pity is a luxury you can afford, Jack?”"

Is that Titanic??! (Taking a wild stab in the dark here)

message 37: by Debra (new)

Debra Barstad | 362 comments My guess is the shining by Stephen King

message 38: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 297 comments I watched a third movie. Updated to msg. #9. 3/13.

1. What movie(s) are you watching and when? I Am Number Four (3/21/18)

2. Who is watching the movie(s) with you? My dog! lol

3. Are you eating traditional movie snacks or something more original? Nothing for me tonight

4. What was the best/worst part of the movie? Best part was the action and adventure. Plus the romance. Alex P. and Dianna A. were very convincing as teen lovers. I believe they were real-life lovers for awhile too, so that helped sell the romance. Oh, and I just loved the dog, Bernie. He was so cute! Teresa Palmer was very good in her brief role. The worst part is some of the comedic scenes stretched the bounds of plausibility, even for science fiction.

5. What was better – book or movie? And why, of course! I have not read the book (YET) but now I really want to. I think there's a few sequels to it even that also have me intrigued. I want to meet the other aliens, and see what other adventures John stumbles upon!!

message 39: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Answer - Quote #3: 3/21/2018

“Are you sure self-pity is a luxury you can afford, Jack?”

The Shining

Debra guessed correctly!

message 40: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Quote #4: 3/22/2018

“It's the little mistakes that lead to big mistakes.”

message 41: by Debra (new)

Debra Barstad | 362 comments Mary Pat wrote: "Quote #4: 3/22/2018

“It's the little mistakes that lead to big mistakes.”"

I know I know but will give someone else a shot.

message 42: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) | 316 comments My guess is I am number four.

message 43: by Susy (last edited Mar 23, 2018 01:43AM) (new)

Susy (susysstories) Update message 11

Brave New World (1980), watched part last night and the rest this morning.

My cat, Seven.

Dinner yesterday and breakfast this morning lol.

Was all acting in the 80's this bad? Also looks like they were on a budget where scenery/sets is concerned.

Book!!!! Because the pictures in my head were way more amazing than in this movie. The movie gets good ratings because of the premise, but since I read the book first, my rating for this movie is quite low, attributing the premise to the book, not the movie.
This version does get better ratings than the 1998 version, I intend to watch that one too (after this challenge, I'm assuming you can only enter one version of each movie right?).

Movies watched: 2/15

message 44: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 297 comments Susy raises a very good question. Can we watch multiple adaptations of the same book and still get credit? For example, I watched Murder on the Orient Express (1974) but would also like to watch the new movie that came out last year too. Would I still get credit because it's a different film even though it has the same premise? Please let us know. Thank you! :)

message 45: by AmbWitch (last edited Apr 24, 2018 01:50PM) (new)

AmbWitch | 227 comments I will go for 9 films. They will either be ones I own or that are on Netflix. I will update as I go along

Last Update: 24/04

Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)
City of Bones (2013)
Dracula (1931)
Les Miserables (2012)
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (2016)
The Golden Compass (2007)
The Scarlet Letter (2004)
To Kill a Mockingbird (1962)
Wuthering Heights (1970)

message 46: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Every movie you watch counts! Even if it is another adaptation of the same book. It will count toward your goal and you will get a raffle ticket.

message 47: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Answer - Quote #4: 3/22/2018

“It's the little mistakes that lead to big mistakes.”

I Am Number Four

Jennifer guessed correctly!

message 48: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Quote #5: 3/23/2018

“People aren’t supposed to look back. I’m certainly not going to do it anymore.”

message 49: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 297 comments Mary Pat wrote: "Every movie you watch counts! Even if it is another adaptation of the same book. It will count toward your goal and you will get a raffle ticket."

Yay, thanks so much for answering. This is very helpful :)

message 50: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) | 316 comments My guess is Life of Pi

« previous 1 3