Play Book Tag discussion

The Chilbury Ladies' Choir
This topic is about The Chilbury Ladies' Choir
Archive: Other Books > The Chilbury Ladies Choir by Jennifer Ryan 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cheryl (cherylllr) A fairy tale, really, with wicked villains and a princess who needs to be taught a lesson and a saint (good witch?) and a case of mistaken identity... and redemption for all at the end, except for the ones who die. But no tidy wrapped up HEA for everyone....

Anyway, a little too earnest, and a little too fantastic, to be a true 4-star read. But it hit the spot last night, and I couldn't sleep until I'd finished it. I needed a story that isn't the same as everything else, & that is inspirational without being schmaltzy, and this was it for me. So, yes, rounded up to four stars.

And if you're interested, especially if you know music and can accept all the Christian references, I do recommend this to you.

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8145 comments Um... are you sure you are speaking about the Chillbury Ladies Choir? Villains and princesses? Christian references? My experience of that book was not the same.

Cheryl (cherylllr) Villains & princesses in the metaphorical literary sense. :)

And, yes, the church was important to the ladies, Faith was very important to all, most of their favorite songs were hymns.

message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8145 comments So interesting about how different people view books. Yes this was a church choir. But I saw it more about the transcendent healing power of music, and about finding voice through fear. Faith of course was in there, but when faith is tested, music’s a vehicle. Can’t wait to read some more of your reviews and get to know you. I loved this by the way.

Cheryl (cherylllr) You make good points; I can definitely imagine reading the book the way you did. Friend me if you like so we can easily read each other's reviews (I won't post all mine here!).