Play Book Tag discussion

March 2018: Autobiography > March: Book Two / John Lewis - 4**** (DECATHALON)

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5794 comments March Book Two (March, #2) by John Lewis
March: Book Two – John Lewis and Andrew Aydin
Illustrations by Nate Powell
4****

This is the second in a trilogy of graphic memoirs detailing the Civil Rights Movement and early career of U.S. Representative John Lewis.

Lewis gives the reader a good chronology of the movement in 1961, focusing on the Freedom Riders and culminating in Dr Martin Luther King’s “I have a Dream” speech at the March on Washington. Interspersed with this historical storyline, is the inauguration of Barack Obama as the USA’s first black President.

I lived through this era. I remember hearing about the Freedom Riders, the marches, the brutally violent responses by police forces against peaceful protestors, etc, but I was nine years old when John F Kennedy was elected; I didn’t live in any of the states where the protests were being held, and like most 4th-graders I wasn’t too focused on national news.

I’m glad to have read this now, however. Lewis’s experiences really bring the message home. I was near tears towards the end.

I applaud Lewis and his collaborators, co-author Andrew Aydin and illustrator Nate Powell, for bringing this era in America’s history to the attention of young readers. Providing this information in this format makes it more accessible to a young audience, and it’s important that they learn about this episode in our nation’s history. However, for me (and my old eyes), the format is somewhat problematic. Dark illustrations are not friendly to my eyes.

LINK to my review

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6431 comments We just went to a lecture given by Mark Kelly and Gabby Giffords. Gabby indicated that John Lewis was her idol. I'm embarrassed to say I really don't know much about him. Sounds like this novel might be a good way to learn . . .

message 3: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5794 comments Anita wrote: "We just went to a lecture given by Mark Kelly and Gabby Giffords. Gabby indicated that John Lewis was her idol. I'm embarrassed to say I really don't know much about him. Sounds like this novel mig..."

Start with March: Book One ...