Beta Reader Group discussion

Authors Seeking FREE Betas > 97K word novel on the dark side of winning the lottery

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jack (new)

Jack Doyle (jackdoylebooks) | 7 comments Book title: Wishing
Author: Jack Doyle
Genre: Drama (some suspense)
Word count: 97,000
Desired turnaround time: 4 to 5 weeks

I would appreciate feedback on part or all of my novel.

I started writing in retirement and am now 89. Don’t worry, I have a thick skin. Not sure how this beta reader process works, but I have some tech help on my end.

• • • • •

Charley had been a warehouse manager for almost thirty years when it happened. His wife Jo was working for a small market research firm when everything changed. Two of the kids were out of the house, the youngest was a teenager.

They say money changes everything. Ten million dollars buys a man–or woman—a whole new outlook. Even after your lottery numbers come up, there are winners and losers. Be careful what you wish for.

message 2: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 17 comments Hello- are you looking for readers? Your premise sounds interesting but I can spot a few ways to spruce it up. And the book topic itself sounds intriguing. Melissa

message 3: by Kane (new)

Kane (kt8937) | 8 comments interested, I can give overall comments

message 4: by Jack (new)

Jack Doyle (jackdoylebooks) | 7 comments Melissa wrote: "Hello- are you looking for readers? Your premise sounds interesting but I can spot a few ways to spruce it up. And the book topic itself sounds intriguing. Melissa"

Yes, I am looking for beta readers. Not too concerned about the blurb right now as I know it will change as I fine-tune the book.

message 5: by Jack (new)

Jack Doyle (jackdoylebooks) | 7 comments Avinash wrote: "Hello Jack,

Would you be interested in trading?

Please feel free to send me yours...
avinashashu3@gmail.com"

I have never been a beta reader and am not so sure I would be any good at it. I will send you "Wishing" and you can decide if you'd like to read it.

message 6: by Jack (new)

Jack Doyle (jackdoylebooks) | 7 comments Kane wrote: "interested, I can give overall comments"

Great. Do I send it to you via email? Or somehow get it to you via Goodreads. This is my first time with beta readers.

message 7: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 17 comments I’d like to read it and give you feedback. You can email it to me, is it in a word document? And also, let me know what you would like me to look for as I read. I am a college professor ( all sciences) so I am quite used to reading papers for specific things. Let me know if you would like me to just look at content, or believability, or details, or anything else you think would be helpful to you!

message 8: by Jack (new)

Jack Doyle (jackdoylebooks) | 7 comments Avinash wrote: "Hi Jack,

You wrote: I have never been a beta reader and am not so sure I would be any good at it.

So, Would you please edit my sci-fi romance novel... just 45k words of my story... If you're inte..."

I had better not promise any trades at this time.

message 9: by Jack (new)

Jack Doyle (jackdoylebooks) | 7 comments Melissa wrote: "I’d like to read it and give you feedback. You can email it to me, is it in a word document? And also, let me know what you would like me to look for as I read. I am a college professor ( all scien..."

Yes, it is a Word document. If you don't want to post your email, you can email me with your email address: jackdoylebooks@gmail.com

Looking forward to your feedback.

message 10: by Ariel (new)

Ariel | 15 comments So, I can't help with the edits, but I can give you something that might help overall. (It helped me a lot.) There are podcasts (kind of like radio shows) on writing and my favorite one is Writing Excuses. You can find them http://www.writingexcuses.com or on Apple devices. They talk a lot about editing, among many other topics.

Your story does sound interesting. Happy writing/ editing. :)

message 11: by Jack (new)

Jack Doyle (jackdoylebooks) | 7 comments Thank you. I will look into that. I did get an iPhone last year.