YALMC #SharedRead discussion

Introduce Yourself!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ikram (new)

Ikram | 37 comments Mod
Hello everyone! We're going to be using this thread as a place where you can tell us a bit more about yourself. You can include your name, your favorite YA authors and anything else you want us to know about you.

I'll start :D

My name is Ikram but you can call me Kimi. I've been an avid YA reader for five years now and I love to post reviews of the books I read here on Goodreads. Some of my favorite YA authors are Leigh Bardgo, Cassandra Clare, Pierce Brown and Victoria Schwab. I'm very excited to discuss YA books with everyone in this group and looking forward to making new friends!

message 2: by Lubna (new)

Lubna (lubnahml) | 2 comments Hi my name is Lubna and I've also been reading YA for around 5 years now.. some of my favorite authors include John Green Adam Silvera and James Dashner.. I'm especially excited about the monthly book read and discussion on this group! Looking forwards to meeting new friends!(:

message 3: by Ikram (new)

Ikram | 37 comments Mod
Lubna wrote: "Hi my name is Lubna and I've also been reading YA for around 5 years now.. some of my favorite authors include John Green Adam Silvera and James Dashner.. I'm especially excited about the monthly b..."

Hi Lubna :D We're very glad to have you in our group. We'll be announcing the book of the month very soon so stay tuned!

message 4: by fae (new)

fae (fae_the_booknerd) | 2 comments Hey, I'm Fatima, my friends call me Fae and to be honest, I don't know since how many years I've been reading YA books for, but I've been on Goodreads for 5 years now (since Feb 2013). As a kid I used to love Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books, hell I wanted to be Nancy freakin' Drew when I grow up xD Anyway, some of my favourite YA authors are Cassandra Clare, Leigh Bardugo, Marissa Meyer, Maggie Stiefvater (well, the list is kinda endless so I'll just stop here)
I'm looking forward to getting to know you fellow booknerds, may we have lots of amazing book discussions!

message 5: by Oum (new)

Oum | 3 comments Hello guys,
My name is Meriem and I have been eating stories for a good 6 years now.
YA books compose the majority of my reading diet ..... yummy!
Cassandra Clare, Rainbow Rowell, J.K. Rowling, Rae Carson, Rick Reordan and Victoria Schwab are a few amongst many authors who inspire awe from me.
Can't wait to talk to everyone.
thx for the invitation Kimi

message 6: by Ocean (new)

Ocean Weeks | 1 comments Hello everyone!

My name is Ocean and I have been devouring books for as long as I can remember, as it was a habit and passion that my father and mother both encouraged and nurtured within me. Young Adult novels are always my preferred age group for reading, as I find that even as a 21 year old, I still relate more to the YA or NA age group more than I do with the fully Adult age group. Cassandra Clare, Rick Riordan, JK Rowling, CS Lewis, Sarah Dessen, Morgan Matson, Morgan Rhodes, Maggie Stiefvater and Marissa Meyer are a few of my favourites, though I have way more than I can possibly list. I'm totally looking forward to getting to know everyone in the group, and I can't wait to get into the discussions either!

message 7: by Ikram (new)

Ikram | 37 comments Mod
Fatima wrote: "Hey, I'm Fatima, my friends call me Fae and to be honest, I don't know since how many years I've been reading YA books for, but I've been on Goodreads for 5 years now (since Feb 2013). As a kid I u..."

Hey Fatima! Thanks for joining the group. We have a lot of favorites in common. I can't wait to discuss more YA books with you :D

message 8: by Ikram (new)

Ikram | 37 comments Mod
Minoucha wrote: "Hello guys,
My name is Meriem and I have been eating stories for a good 6 years now.
YA books compose the majority of my reading diet ..... yummy!
Cassandra Clare, Rainbow Rowell, J.K. Rowling, R..."

Hey M! Long time no talk. Thanks for joining the group. I'm super excited to discuss YA books with you :D

message 9: by Ikram (new)

Ikram | 37 comments Mod
Ocean wrote: "Hello everyone!

My name is Ocean and I have been devouring books for as long as I can remember, as it was a habit and passion that my father and mother both encouraged and nurtured within me. You..."

Hi Ocean! Thank you so much for joining the group. Looking forwards to hearing your thoughts on YA books :D

message 10: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Hi everyone! I'm Kelly, I'm been reading for as long as I can remember thanks to my parents reading with me all the time as a kid. YA has always been my go to genre, even though I'm in my 20's, which might also be a reason why I write YA too. :) Maybe one day I'll get published, who knows?

My favourite authors include CS Lewis, Enid Blyton (from my childhood), Leigh Bardugo, Sarah J Maas, Kiersten White, and more recently Victoria Schwab and Holly Black. Excited to be a part of this group! :)

message 11: by fae (new)

fae (fae_the_booknerd) | 2 comments Kimi wrote: "Fatima wrote: "Hey, I'm Fatima, my friends call me Fae and to be honest, I don't know since how many years I've been reading YA books for, but I've been on Goodreads for 5 years now (since Feb 2013..."

Thanks for the invite ❤

message 12: by Ikram (new)

Ikram | 37 comments Mod
Kelly wrote: "Hi everyone! I'm Kelly, I'm been reading for as long as I can remember thanks to my parents reading with me all the time as a kid. YA has always been my go to genre, even though I'm in my 20's, whi..."

Hi Kelly! Thanks for joining the group :D You go girl! We'll read your book on this group when it gets published haha.

message 13: by Yusra (new)

Yusra  ✨ (yusraxo) Hey! My name is Yusra & this groups seems like fun :)

I read any genre & my favourites are the Conquerer’s Saga by Kiersten White & I Am the Messenger by Markus Zusak.

x

message 14: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Kimi wrote: "Kelly wrote: "Hi everyone! I'm Kelly, I'm been reading for as long as I can remember thanks to my parents reading with me all the time as a kid. YA has always been my go to genre, even though I'm i..."

Haha, thanks Kimi! :D It'll be a while before that happens though.

message 15: by dianis. (last edited Mar 15, 2018 03:50PM) (new)

dianis. | 1 comments Hi! My name is Diana, and I love Leigh Bardugo, Ruta Sepetys, Victoria Schwab, Rick Riordan, and so many more!
I am excited to get to know all of you!

message 16: by Sally (new)

Sally (bookishwondergoth) Hi there! My name is Sally and I am a wannabe writer of adult historical fantasy fiction trapped within the world of fin tech in London (boo). Thank you for inviting me to join this group!

Most of my favourite books are in fact adult books, but I do still read a healthy chunk of YA! I think they've become really diverse and innovative over the last couple of years - more so than Adult books!

I can't promise I'll stick to the group-read *every* month :'( My TBR pile is actually RIDICULOUS... but I will try! Hopefully you will pick books I already own, for the most part XD

My favourite YA authors? Hmm... despite their numerous flaws, I am utter trash for Cassandra Clare and Sarah J. Maas (though I would argue the 'ACOTAR' trilogy is NOT by any stretch of the imagination YA, they're the filthiest books I've ever read). I also LOVE V.E. Schwab if she counts, though I've only read her Adult offerings. Derek Landy too! He's one of my favourites, though he's thought of more as a children's author than a YA author (the latter Skulduggery books are definitely not for children).

I've also been waiting 20. YEARS. for the release of Strange Fate by L.J. Smith, the final instalment of her Night World series, which I was obsessed with in my early teens. *Cries forever*. George R. R. Martin fans know NOTHING of my pain.

Ramble over, apologies! Looking forward to getting to know y'all.

x

message 17: by S.E. (new)

S.E. Ellis | 1 comments Hello! I write under the pen-name S.E. Ellis.

I've always been a fan of Fantasy, and seeing the potential of Fantasy YA, I wanted to write a novel for my daughter and her friends (both male & female); one with a female-protagonist that suffers from panic attacks, who resolves conflict with empathy and redemption instead of just thrusting a sword through the heart of the antagonist, and (of course) wolves.

I'm not sure if I can list my favorite YA authors, as honestly I admire authors that are safely considered YA like J.K. Rowling and Sara C Roethle, but also "adult" authors that write books that YA readers devour, like Ursula K. Leguin. It's a pet peeve of mine that so many agents & editors define the genre solely based upon the age of the protagonist...

message 18: by Hayli (new)

Hayli Hi, I'm Hayli. I don't really have many favorite authors since I tend to read mostly standalones by different authors. But I am a fan of Morgan Matson's books. :)

A few of my favorite books that I recently read are Salt to the Sea, What Girls Are Made Of, Under Rose-Tainted Skies, and Second Chance Summer.

I read mostly YA and adult books. I really love recommendations. I love books and talking about books with others, though I tend to sit back and watch. I'm not great at actually socializing about books.

message 19: by YALMC (new)

YALMC | 25 comments Mod
*waves hi to everyone*

I'm YALMC/Leah. YALMC stands for young adult literature, media and culture -- we're interested in ALL the YA things! I say we're because while I'll do most of the book-chatting on here (and am a frequent tweeter), there is a team of us behind YALMC.

To introduce me, I'm such a fan of YA I decided to study it, forever. I adore YA fantasy. Tamora Pierce is where it started, but there really are too many favourites to list here. However, you can find at least one booklist from me over on https://yalmc.wordpress.com/reading-l...

We'll be announcing the first book later on today (Friday 16 March!), and I can't wait to get talking with you all!

message 20: by Sang (new)

Sang Kromah (sangkromah) | 1 comments Hello everyone! My name is Sang Kromah. I am a writer of YA and a devourer of YA. I can't remember a time when I didn't read YA. In elementary school when my classmates were reading children's books, I would hide to read Judy Blume. I have way to many favorites, and even though I tend to prefer fantasy, I love all YA.

message 21: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Morgan | 2 comments Hello, excited to be part of this group and to expand my love of YA. I'll get this out of the way right now and needn't mention it again: I've written a couple of YA books myself so have a bit of a professional interest in the opinions of others but am an enthusiastic reader with my own opinions too :)

message 22: by YALMC (new)

YALMC | 25 comments Mod
Sang wrote: "Hello everyone! My name is Sang Kromah. I am a writer of YA and a devourer of YA. I can't remember a time when I didn't read YA. In elementary school when my classmates were reading children's book..."

Hello! Glad you're joining in this little venture! :D -Leah

message 23: by YALMC (new)

YALMC | 25 comments Mod
Ruth wrote: "Hello, excited to be part of this group and to expand my love of YA. I'll get this out of the way right now and needn't mention it again: I've written a couple of YA books myself so have a bit of a..."

Welcome! I'm thrilled to have professional interests and opinions represented in this group!! My single desire with YALMC is to unite people interested in YA by talking about YA! :D

message 24: by Ruth (new)

Ruth Morgan | 2 comments Sounds good to me!

message 25: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) Hi, everyone. My name is Dannii :)

I only really started reading YA when I joined Goodreads and bookstagram, about two to three years ago, and got sucked into the hype of every new release. Since then I have discovered more about my reading tastes. I will give every genre a go but my first favourite will always be fantasy.

Some of my favourite YA authors are Sarah J. Maas, Laini Taylor, Jay Kristoff, Maggie Stiefvater, John Green, Leigh Bardugo, and Robin Wasserman.

message 26: by YALMC (new)

YALMC | 25 comments Mod
Dannii wrote: "Hi, everyone. My name is Dannii :)

I only really started reading YA when I joined Goodreads and bookstagram, about two to three years ago, and got sucked into the hype of every new release. Since ..."

Fantasy also has my heart!! (For my sins, I did an entire PhD on YA fantasy! OOPS. hahaha). My favourites list is epic, but I'm working on getting it up. -Leah

✶Rachelle✶  | 1 comments Hello everybody! I'm Rachelle and YA is my jam =)

I've been reading YA for basically my whole life. It started with Harry Potter and has yet to end =) I'm in my 20s now and still enjoy YA and Middle Grade. I feel like I have enough reality in my adult life, so I tend to gravitate towards fantasy, but I also enjoy contemporary as well.

Favorite authors...I am in LOVE with all of Annette Marie's books; Jonathan Stroud and Rick Riordan always make me laugh; Leigh Bardugo is a genius.

I am looking forward to discussing books with ya'll and making new friends =)

message 28: by Gaia (new)

Gaia (earthgoddess) | 1 comments Hey everyone, I'm Gaia!
My fav genre is fantasy and I guess you could say my favourite YA book is Six of Crows... not that I'm obsessed with it or anything ahahah (I just finished a teary eyed reread of Crooked Kingdom, this is me pretending to be fine). I also love the Illuminae Files series and I'm currently waiting for my copy of Obsidio to arrive so I can finally read it! Also, I love romance storylines, I can never get enough of them.

I spent a lot of time hiding the books I read because I felt judged whenever people saw it was YA, but in the past year or so I have decided to try and stop doing that and just enjoy what I like to read!! So thank you for the invitation ♥ I'm excited to read books together & would love to join a twitter chat about them too!

message 29: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) YALMC wrote: "Dannii wrote: "Hi, everyone. My name is Dannii :)

I only really started reading YA when I joined Goodreads and bookstagram, about two to three years ago, and got sucked into the hype of every new ..."

Wow! A PhD in fantasy sounds amazing. I bet that was such fun (and such hard work!)

message 30: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) Gaia wrote: "Hey everyone, I'm Gaia!
My fav genre is fantasy and I guess you could say my favourite YA book is Six of Crows... not that I'm obsessed with it or anything ahahah (I just finished a teary eyed rer..."

SoC <3 Such an epic duology

message 31: by Ikram (new)

Ikram | 37 comments Mod
Hello everyone! Super glad to see you guys joining the group <3

message 32: by Mebarka (new)

Mebarka (mebarkaf) | 1 comments Well my name is Mebarka .I've been reading YA for five years.Am gonna be 29 next month so my biggest regret is not spending all my summer vacations flipping through some yummy YA fantasy books .I spend my days at home (offcource just another introvert) either working on my Magister thesis or marathon reading some YA fantasy series.My fav authors are Cassandra Clare,Leigh Bardugo,V.E Schwab,Marissa Mayer,Marie Lu and Rick Riordan.

message 33: by Ikram (new)

Ikram | 37 comments Mod
Mebarka wrote: "Well my name is Mebarka .I've been reading YA for five years.Am gonna be 29 next month so my biggest regret is not spending all my summer vacations flipping through some yummy YA fantasy books .I s..."

Hey there! Thanks for joining and good luck with your thesis!

message 34: by Masooma (new)

Masooma | 26 comments Lubna wrote: "Hi my name is Lubna and I've also been reading YA for around 5 years now.. some of my favorite authors include John Green Adam Silvera and James Dashner.. I'm especially excited about the monthly b..."

Hii, Lubnaa. Good to meet you hear. I have read Adam Silvera's work. He is an amazing author, no doubt. So far, I have only read one of John Green's book, The Turtles one that is his latest and I wasn't much impressed. In fact, I am so guilty that I didn't like it. I mean I should have, right? He's such a legend!

message 35: by Masooma (new)

Masooma | 26 comments Kimi wrote: "Hello everyone! We're going to be using this thread as a place where you can tell us a bit more about yourself. You can include your name, your favorite YA authors and anything else you want us to ..."

Hii dude! Long time, no chat! Is this your group? I mean like you created it or so? Much love for you <3

message 36: by Masooma (new)

Masooma | 26 comments Fatima wrote: "Hey, I'm Fatima, my friends call me Fae and to be honest, I don't know since how many years I've been reading YA books for, but I've been on Goodreads for 5 years now (since Feb 2013). As a kid I u..."

Hi, Fae <3 Glad to meet you here. I loved ready Hardy boys too but I my earliest memories go back to reading Enid Blyton as a child :)

message 37: by Masooma (new)

Masooma | 26 comments Mebarka wrote: "Well my name is Mebarka .I've been reading YA for five years.Am gonna be 29 next month so my biggest regret is not spending all my summer vacations flipping through some yummy YA fantasy books .I s..."

I am a die-hard Marie Lu fan too. Great to meet you! <3

message 38: by Masooma (new)

Masooma | 26 comments Gaia wrote: "Hey everyone, I'm Gaia!
My fav genre is fantasy and I guess you could say my favourite YA book is Six of Crows... not that I'm obsessed with it or anything ahahah (I just finished a teary eyed rer..."

Hi there, I love fantasy too! So I am glad to meet another fellow fantasy book lover *wink-wink*

message 39: by Masooma (new)

Masooma | 26 comments Hello everyone! I am Masooma and frankly, I am a bit overwhelmed/nervous since this is the first book nerds group that I've ever joined on GR. I have been reading since my childhood but I never kept a record of what I read. But since I joined this platform, I am a bit better at tracking the books I have read (since my joining) and those that I want to read. I love fantasy and sometimes read contemporary books too. I love Marie Lu, Sabaa Tahir, Renne Ahdieh, Ann Jacobus, and many more.

Thanks for having me in this group <3 Looking forward to chatting and reading with you all! *Cheers*

message 40: by Ikram (new)

Ikram | 37 comments Mod
Masooma wrote: "Kimi wrote: "Hello everyone! We're going to be using this thread as a place where you can tell us a bit more about yourself. You can include your name, your favorite YA authors and anything else yo..."

Hey Masooma! I'm so glad you'll be joining us. This group was created by the lovely Leah from YALMC. I have recently joined the Network and saw that it wasn't super active on Goodreads so I suggested starting a group and now I get to be a moderator. How fancy is that? Haha.

message 41: by Anne (new)

Anne | 1 comments Hey all!

I'm Anne. I've been reading YA for basically as long as I can remember. YA fantasy holds a pretty fierce grip on my heart, but recently I've been trying to branch out into more contemporary reads. As a result I've recently read some fantastic books like Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda (Becky Albertalli), Autoboyography (Christina Lauren), and Long Way Down (Jason Reynolds). Always looking for new diverse reads and authors to discover.

Can't wait to dive into some great YA conversations with you all!

message 42: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Hi, my name is Sarah and I’ve been reading YA for what feels like forever! I’m in my early 20’s as well but I still enjoy reading YA the most out of any genre.

Some of my favourite authors include Cassandra Clare, John Green, Marissa Meyer and Sarah J Maas. I’m excited to get to know everyone :)

message 43: by Masooma (new)

Masooma | 26 comments S.E. Berrow wrote: "Hi there! My name is Sally and I am a wannabe writer of adult historical fantasy fiction trapped within the world of fin tech in London (boo). Thank you for inviting me to join this group!

Most of..."

Hiii! I love Schwab too. Since I have seen your comments in the other thread so I had to come back here and check your bio again lol. So Sally, let me assure you that I'll be among the first people to read this novel of yours because historical fantasy is so wicked!! <3

message 44: by Sally (new)

Sally (bookishwondergoth) Ah, thank you, Masooma 🖤 Your comment has just made my day xx

message 45: by Madeline (new)

Madeline McGrath (madsmcgrath) Hello guys!!! my name is Madeline, and my favorite authors are Cassandra Clare LIKE MAJORLY LOVE HER BOOKS!!!! I also love Leigh Bardugo, and Victoria Shwab!! i have been reading YA for like 5 years about(ish).

Also thank you Kimi for inviting me to this group! i am super excited!

message 46: by Sally (new)

Sally (bookishwondergoth) Hi there! Will there be a new discussion board for Ink soon? x

message 47: by Masooma (new)

Masooma | 26 comments S.E. Berrow wrote: "Hi there! Will there be a new discussion board for Ink soon? x"

Ink?

message 48: by Ikram (new)

Ikram | 37 comments Mod
S.E. Berrow wrote: "Hi there! Will there be a new discussion board for Ink soon? x"

Oops, I thought I added it. I'll do that now.

message 49: by Ikram (new)

Ikram | 37 comments Mod
Masooma wrote: "S.E. Berrow wrote: "Hi there! Will there be a new discussion board for Ink soon? x"

Ink?"

Yes! Ink by Alice Broadway.

message 50: by Kelly Brigid ♡ (new)

Kelly Brigid ♡ (anotherbookinthewall) | 2 comments Hey everyone! I’m Kelly, and I’ve been reading YA for a few years now. A couple of my favorite authors are Sarah J Mass, Leigh Bardugo, and Marissa Meyer! :)

« previous 1