What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Possibly 1980’s / 1990’s fiction about a man who disappears/fakes his own death.

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bec (new)

Bec Wilkinson | 1 comments Hi.
I’m looking for the author/title of a book that I read back in the late 80’s / early 90’s (the book is possibly older than this as I don’t know if it was a new book when I read it.
From memory, it started in America. A teenage lad was boating with his sister and friends. An accident occurred where the boom (possibly the boom) swung round and hit his sister at the side of the head. She fell into the water and he jumped in after her. I remember the book saying something like “blood starred at the corner of her eye and she looked at me staring but nor seeing anything”. He then gets married, has 2 sons and has a seemingly happy marriage until one day he disappears. He sets up a new life (I think in Canada) and a number of years pass with his wife and sons thinking he was dead. I think he had been building a tree house for his sons at the time of his disappearance. Then his national insurance number (not sure if that’s the right words for America) is activated after a number of years and his wife starts to investigate.
Can anyone help please.
The writing style is similar to that of Danielle Steele but I’ve searched and searched to no avail
Thank you.

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate Farrell | 4072 comments Mod
Bec,
You can bump your book every month or so. This moves your search back to the top of the Unsolved folder. More people will see it, and thus you are more likely to get a solution.

Good luck.

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris | 33525 comments Mod
Bec, is the story written from the perspective of the husband?

What's the husband's job/skills/interests? Who does he work for?

Where does his wife and sons live - country, region, big city/small town?

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37833 comments Mod
Bec, are you still looking for this or did you find it?