Golden Age of Hollywood Book Club discussion

Hob Nob > 'guilty pleasures'

Comments Showing 1-50 of 209 (209 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5

message 1: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (last edited Mar 15, 2018 11:57AM) (new)

Feliks (dzerzhinsky) | 2484 comments Mod
Got a film you secretly enjoy even though most folks blanche when the title is mentioned?

Air your secret peccadilloes...here! We promise that not a breath of scandal will leave the room...

message 2: by Mollie (new)

Mollie Harrison Pennock | 91 comments Most people have never heard of the movies I like, excluding members of this group. I rarely watch a movie more than once as there are so many to see, I need to keep moving forward. However, those I have seen several times are the following:

Lady for a Day (May Robson and Warren William): Makes me cry every time.

Saratoga Trunk (Gary Cooper and Ingrid Bergman): I find the interaction between Gary and Ingrid's characters so humorous, including the music that's played whenever Clint appears.

Going in Style (Art Carney, Lee Strasberg, and George Burns): One of the few "modern" movies I will watch. Both humorous and touching.

message 3: by W (new)

W American Pie I & II

message 4: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

Michael Sarrazin, Raul Julia, and Tim McIntire in 'The Gumball Rally'. Was this the last time a movie about fast cars could be innocently enjoyed?

message 5: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) | 2065 comments I am fascinated by the film Detour, the B classic starring Tom Neal and Ann Savage. It is poverty row but it has its moments.

message 6: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Talladega Nights. I know, I know, but I laugh myself silly every time I stumble upon it.

message 7: by Spencer (new)

Spencer Rich | 746 comments Fletch

message 8: by Kandice (new)

Kandice I also love Sweet Hostage, starring Linda Blair and Kurt Douglas. Melodrama at it's highest!

message 9: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (last edited Dec 02, 2019 04:22PM) (new)

'Sweet Hostage' starring Linda Blair and Martin Sheen, you mean? Yes I like that one too. Some of those 'sleepers', those tiny little love-story movies (even made-for-TV movies!) were so well done. Another fave is 'Dragonflies' with Beau Bridges and Susan Sarandon. Or ''Old Boyfriends' with Talia Shire. Or 'The Promise' with Kathleen Quinlan. Its a shame she faded out.

A flick where Kirk Douglas kidnaps a woman (his ex wife) might be the one you're thinking of, 'Mousy' which is really an extraordinary performance. Kirk playing a weakling, a coward.

'Detour' yeah. Whew. No guilt about that one!

message 10: by Kandice (new)

Kandice Feliks wrote: "'Sweet Hostage' starring Linda Blair and Martin Sheen, you mean? Yes I like that one too. Some of those 'sleepers', those tiny little love-story movies (even made-for-TV movies!) were so well done...."

No, you're right, It was Martin Sheen! I don't know what I was thinking. I love those old cheezy movies, despite not liking romance in general. I guess you shouldn't qualify that one as a romance anyway. O_o

message 11: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) | 2065 comments I think I have the "so bad that they are good" movies syndrome!! Another bottom of the barrel one is Strangler in the Swamp...........lots of fog to cover up the lack of scenery but interesting.

message 12: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 1885 comments My guilty pleasure revolves around 'creature features' such as Godzilla, Them, and Tremors. I watch them over and over.

message 13: by Spencer (new)

Spencer Rich | 746 comments They Live.

message 14: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) | 2065 comments Them was really a pretty good film, Betsy but I was shocked when one of the main characters got killed in the end.

And I love the original Godzilla, the one which doesn't have the inserts of Raymond Burr added for American audiences.

message 15: by Spencer (new)

Spencer Rich | 746 comments Car Wash
Total Recall
almost anything with Goldie Hawn

message 16: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 1885 comments Jill wrote: "Them was really a pretty good film, Betsy but I was shocked when one of the main characters got killed in the end.

And I love the original Godzilla, the one which doesn't have the inserts of Raymo..."

I agree about that scene in 'Them'. It was a surprise.

I like both versions of 'Godzilla'. Raymond Burr brings some stability in the movie compared to the overacting of Emiko.

message 17: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

Awk, speaking for myself 'big bug' movies have always been a labor to sit through even a few minutes of. It's so surprising to me, that they keep trying to re-do them. I guess its like I said elsewhere; such a dearth of ideas in Hollywood in our era. The whole system is screwed up when every release must be a blockbuster and small, honest, natural feelgood movies can't be funded.

message 18: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 1885 comments Many of my favorite 'creature features' were hardly big budget. I'll never forget when my grandparents took me to see 'King Kong' (1933) because my mother had been to see it when she was a girl. I've seen it several times since then, but it still brings back memories. Creature features have their place just as 'feelgood' movies do.

message 19: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) | 2065 comments Good point, Feliks. Hollywood thinks that blockbusters are the way to go when indeed a nice little film is much more welcome.....or at least by me.

message 20: by Jill (last edited Dec 22, 2019 06:46PM) (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) | 2065 comments You don't know anything about guilty pleasures until you hear my biggest secret guilt.

When I was a kid and allowed to stay up late to watch old film on television, my Mother heard me crying and came into the living room to see what what wrong. I was watching Naughty Marietta with Nelson Eddy and Jeanette McDonald and they were singing Sweet Mystery of Life. I thought it was so beautiful that I burst into tears. After that, I watched every one of their films whenever I could find them on tv. You have to admit that is a very guilty pleasure!

message 21: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 1885 comments Why would that be a 'guilty' pleasure? I've watched them at times although I admit to liking her better than him. She did a rousing version of 'San Francisco' in 1936.

message 22: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

They were two of the biggest stars of their era but of course that style in music is long gone for most fans. But like I say ...the quality is there if one cares to look. Just because its no longer current doesn't mean it was at all 'bad' in its own period. I think this is 'nearly' a guilty pleasure but not quite. It's not lowbrow enough.

p.s. Nelson Eddy could belt out a song. And there's a huge hush-hush backstory about whether the songbirds were in fact, lovers.

message 23: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

A guilty pleasure for myself is hard to name. It's not like I can say, "I enjoy low-budget, exploitation horror" or "I enjoy 1970s kung-fu movies," Because across the board, I really don't. I've only seen a measly handful that somehow, stayed my hand from the remote control.

I like 'muscle car' movies I suppose --some of them are genuinely entertaining; even if totally sexist and stupid.

Burt Reynolds redneck movies ...I'd like to name as a guilty pleasure but nope. I don't like them enough for that.

Chuck Norris movies. Nope. They're just bad.

Ah! the Billy Jack series with Tom Laughlin. Yes, I like em. They're a guilty pleasure.

Disaster movies. No. Some are fully defensible. Some aren't.

Spaghetti westerns? I feel no guilt about liking them.

'Godzilla movies' would be a guilty pleasure if I enjoyed them. But I do not.

Mex-ploitation? Not a penchant of mine.

Bollywood? No, I turn up my nose at anything Bollywood.

Cannibal films: nope.

Hmmm....

message 24: by Doubledf99.99 (new)

Doubledf99.99 | 251 comments A few of my guilty pleasures I like Hammer horror films, muscle car movies, and Shaw Brothers marital arts movies, Ang Lee's early movies, and most kungfu movies in general especially with Bruce Lee.

message 25: by Doubledf99.99 (new)

Doubledf99.99 | 251 comments Though it's a new trend I do have a weak spot of cooking shows, be it in the kitchen preparing something or someone on the road do a travelogue on a county and it's cuisine.

message 26: by Spencer (new)

Spencer Rich | 746 comments I like lots of live Disney. That Darn Cat, The Absent Minded Professor, Bedknobs and Broomsticks, The Black Hole, TRON, Return to Oz....

message 27: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 1885 comments Doubledf99.99 wrote: "Though it's a new trend I do have a weak spot of cooking shows, be it in the kitchen preparing something or someone on the road do a travelogue on a county and it's cuisine."

Although those aren't the purview of this group, I love certain types of cooking shows, especially the ones that travel to various countries.

Just so Feliks doesn't think we're too far out, I'll add that that it's really been only recently that cooking became part of movies such as 'Chef'. I was trying to think of a Golden Age example but can't off-hand.

message 28: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) | 2065 comments In classic films everyone either ate in restaurants or had a cook!!

message 29: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

I'm not relishing the turn this conversation has taken! :p

message 30: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

I have a guilty-pleasure for Max Fleischer Cartoons, especially 'Betty Boop' and songs sung by Helen Kane (as Boop).

Boop

message 31: by Jill (last edited Dec 23, 2019 09:12AM) (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) | 2065 comments Boop boop-a-doop.

I am a Felix the Cat fan, as well as Krazy Kat.

message 32: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) | 2065 comments Did you ever watch the Westling Women or the Santo films from Mexico? I don't know why wrestling was so popular south of the border but they are really a guilty pleasure for their bottom of the barrel badness.

message 33: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 1885 comments Jill wrote: "In classic films everyone either ate in restaurants or had a cook!!"

Good point and the cooks were often African-American as in 'Holiday Inn' or 'Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House.'

message 34: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

If You Ain't Eatin' WHAM, you Ain't Eatin' HAM"

message 35: by Spencer (new)

Spencer Rich | 746 comments Krazy Kat is great. Love the animated films.

message 36: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

Russ Meyers movies!

message 37: by Spencer (new)

Spencer Rich | 746 comments Amen. Love Beyond the Valley of the Dolls. And speaking of 60's camp, Wild in the Streets and Barbarella come to mind.

message 38: by Spencer (new)

Spencer Rich | 746 comments Corman is great, too.

message 39: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) | 2065 comments We haven't even mentioned the world's worst director, Ed Wood. He tried so hard and I bet he would be thrilled at his popularity now with film buffs. If you have never seen one of his films, you are really missing something......but you have to approach the films as what they are.....lowest budget, worst acting, mistakes galore. nonsensical stories, and great quotable lines (such as this "this is murder and someone is responsible".)

message 40: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

Aye. But movies inherently have a way of just bluffing things past the viewer. That's why there's whole pages of documented bloopers and outtakes and backstage-trivia for almost every film ever made.

My fave flick of EW: 'Bride of the Monster'. Orig title: 'Bride of the Atom'

Arrr

Errr

message 41: by Jill (last edited Dec 30, 2019 10:46AM) (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) | 2065 comments Poor drug riddled Bela Lugosi. Wood used him several times but he died during the early shooting of Plan 9 From Outer Space and Wood used a double who covered his face with his cape but was so very obviously not Lugosi. Just another of Wood's little "tricks".

Wood didn't have the money to re-shoot scenes that went wrong and they are just part of the fun. No out takes with his films...they are made up of out takes!

message 42: by Spencer (new)

Spencer Rich | 746 comments Absolutely a classic of bad. Glen or Glenda is also pretty awesome.

message 43: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) | 2065 comments Spencer wrote: "Absolutely a classic of bad. Glen or Glenda is also pretty awesome."

The angora sweater movie. It appears that Wood was a transvestite and worked that into a couple of his films.

message 44: by Betsy (new)

Betsy | 1885 comments Loved the movie, 'Ed Wood' with Martin Landau as Bela Lugosi though. That's about all I know about him. :(

message 45: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) | 2065 comments Landau was amazing in the part and won an Oscar for it. I really enjoyed that film.

message 46: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

nineteen sixties 'mod' London films. Where to start? love em

message 47: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) | 2065 comments That surprises me.....doesn't seem like your type of film or at least what I perceive would not be a favorite genre of yours.

message 48: by Doubledf99.99 (new)

Doubledf99.99 | 251 comments A good travel film, starts off in London if I recall, If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium.

message 49: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

Ha! I know that one. Ian McShane and ...that brunette...dang...

message 50: by Feliks, Co-Moderator (new)

This is what I mean when I say 'we need more passion around here'. The internet has a way of dampening down all truly vibrant...vibes. I hate it!

:(

« previous 1 3 4 5