Play Book Tag discussion

Chef Roy Choi and the Street Food Remix
Archive: Other Books > Chef Roy Choi and the Street Food Remix by Jacqueline Briggs Martin ~ 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joni | 623 comments Food trucks are all the rave right now and have been for several years. This book is about a young man who was born in Korea but grew up in LA. Food was at the heart of his family. At one point in his life, Roy didn't feel like he fit in anywhere. Until the day he was watching a cooking show and realized "where and how" he could fit in.....food. He went to cooking school to learned "teamwork, knifework and saucework." He then went on to cook in fancy place and for famous people. He was successful until he wasn't anymore.

A time came when a friend suggested that they open up a food truck featuring Korean tacos. People thought he was crazy....until they tried his food. Roy's food and truck brought together people from all walks of life.

Chef Roy Choi believed that "Good Food Makes Smiles."

This book included definitions to Korean words like Sohn-maash, Kimchi and Bibimbap.

This book is on the Texas Bluebonnet Award Nominee 2018-2019 list and is at a 4th grade reading level.

message 2: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3822 comments Very cool!! I've heard of Kogi food truck, and Roi Choi but never tasted his food. Korean tacos are staple in my kitchen :)

If you like this, but want something adult- try Fresh Off the Boat: A Memoir by Eddie Huang. A lot more over the top, and definitely more adult. His story inspired the ABC show of the same name :)

Joni | 623 comments Thank you for the recommendation Joi.

message 4: by Booknblues (new)

Booknblues | 6197 comments Sounds up my alley.