Goodreads Choice Awards Book Club discussion

Archive - Buddy Reads 2018 > Fiction - April 2018

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 5881 comments Mod
The group voted to read the Fiction nominee, Beartown, in April. The winner for this genre was Little Fires Everywhere. Have you read any of the other nominees for this award? Which have you read and what did you think? Which was your favorite?

Do you plan to read any of them in the future? How about setting up a buddy read of one that you are interested in this month? Use this thread to discuss and find a buddy!

Schedule buddy reads here, then set up a separate thread to discuss.

message 3: by Janina (new)

Janina (sylarana) | 692 comments My favorite of all of these is Eleanor Oliphant. It's such a lovely book in my opinion. But also heartbreaking. Hits you quite unexpectedly at times. I listened to it on audible and the narration was fantastic imo.

I've also read Exit West which was just a mediocre ok for me and Sing, Unburied, Sing which I expected to like, but didn't at all. Both have some aspects of magical realism in them which seems to never work for me.

I really like My Absolute Darling on the other hand, but it was by far the most awful and one of the most horrifying books I have ever read. So, I kind of loved it, but I also hated it. It's a very difficult book to read.

I think I'll join in on Beartown if I find the time, but I'm not sure any of the others are something I have to read.

message 4: by Kristie, Moderator (new)

Kristie | 5881 comments Mod
This is one of my favorite awards genres. There are always several that I want to read.

I've already read Beartown and Little Fires Everywhere. I thought they were both really good. I also read My Not So Perfect Life. I thought it was good, though the attempts at humor were a little over the top at times.

I still want to read Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine. I got it from the library once before, but struggled with engaging with the story and sent it back unread. I wasn't quite ready to give up on it though, so I added my name to the long wait list and my turn has come around again. Unfortunately, it only has a two week loan and several of my other library books have also become available at the same time, so I hope I can get to it and don't have to go to the end of the wait list again.

Also on my TBR are The Almost Sisters, The Keeper of Lost Things, The Leavers, This is How It Always Is, Sing, Unburied, Sing (my husband loved it), and maybe Sourdough, as it's been recommended to me several times.

message 5: by Paula (new)

Paula S (paula_s) | 36 comments I read and enjoyed Exit west. I thought that it was a very clever depiction of becoming a refugee.

I want to read Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine and My Not So Perfect Life. Both seems really interesting to me.

message 6: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8 comments I really want to read Sourdough.