The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

The Lucky Ones
This topic is about The Lucky Ones
ARCHIVE - BOTM discussions > The Lucky Ones by Tiffany Reisz - April 2018

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 4823 comments Our winning group read for April is The Lucky Ones by Tiffany Reisz. Please discuss here and remember to use spoiler tags as needed, as everyone may start at different times and reads at different speeds.

The Lucky Ones by Tiffany Reisz

They called themselves “the lucky ones.” They were seven children either orphaned or abandoned by their parents and chosen by legendary philanthropist and brain surgeon Dr. Vincent Capello to live in The Dragon, his almost magical beach house on the Oregon Coast. Allison was the youngest of the lucky ones living an idyllic life with her newfound family…until the night she almost died, and was then whisked away from the house and her adopted family forever.

Now, thirteen years later, Allison receives a letter from Roland, Dr. Capello’s oldest son, warning her that their father is ill and in his final days. Allison determines she must go home again and confront the ghosts of her past. She's determined to find out what really happened that fateful night--was it an accident or, as she's always suspected, did one of her beloved family members try to kill her?

But digging into the past can reveal horrific truths, and when Allison pieces together the story of her life, she'll learns the terrible secret at the heart of the family she once loved but never really knew.

A vivid and suspenseful tale of family, grief, love—and the dark secrets that bind everything together—Tiffany Reisz’s latest is enthralling to the final page.

message 2: by Lawrence (new)

Lawrence Davies This looks great. I'll make sure to read it after I've finished The Secret History

Laura This looks really good! I just put a hold on it from the library. I may be able to get it as early as sometime next week.

message 4: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 4823 comments I’m almost halfway through and there has been an explanation that makes sense, but I think something else is going on. I like the writing.

Laura Kristie wrote: "I’m almost halfway through and there has been an explanation that makes sense, but I think something else is going on. I like the writing."

Intriguing!

Marina (marina999) | 14 comments Oooh there's a bit of sex quite early on!
(view spoiler)

message 7: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 4823 comments Marina wrote: "Oooh there's a bit of sex quite early on!
[spoilers removed]
"

Yes! I was a bit surprised by that. Also, as a bit of a trigger warning, I will note that if you do not like nontraditional and generally socially unacceptable relationships you may have some issues with this book. I am at 67%, so only read the spoiler if you think it may be a trigger or something that may cause you to not want to read the book otherwise, it may spoil parts for you. (view spoiler)

For those that have read to 67% (Up to chapter 21) (view spoiler)

Marina (marina999) | 14 comments On Kristie! I'm totally weirded out by this domestic set up. What a 'family'! I feel quite embarrassed that I'm enjoying the book.

Marina (marina999) | 14 comments That was supposed to say oh Kristie! This predictive text is embarrassing too.

message 10: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 4823 comments Lol, Marina! I know exactly what you mean! I'm really enjoying it too, though I'm sure I should just be disgusted.

I made it to 89% last night and I don't want to say too much to not spoiler anything, but I'm still liking it. I'm hoping to finish today. It's at a point where I'm like what else could there be to take up 11% of the book?!

Marina (marina999) | 14 comments I've finished! Has anyone else finished?

Laura I'm almost ready to start this one!

message 14: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 4823 comments I just finished! Haven’t had time to write a review yet. I’m headed out to dinner, but I’ll try to comment and review later tonight or tomorrow.

message 15: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 4823 comments Finished my quick review!

The Lucky Ones review

Laura I'm in chapter 20, so need to finish it and the next before I can read your spoiler Kristie. I also need to hop on the laptop so I can write down my thoughts.

Laura Up to chapter 21
(view spoiler)

Laura Chapter 22
(view spoiler)

message 19: by Kristie, Moderator (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 4823 comments One other thought I had while reading (so maybe just an ending spoiler) (view spoiler)

Marina (marina999) | 14 comments Kristie and Laura - I'm enjoying reading this book with you!

One other thought- best left till book is finished:

(view spoiler)

Laura end
(view spoiler)

message 22: by Kristie, Moderator (last edited Apr 15, 2018 07:14PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kristie | 4823 comments Marina wrote: "Kristie and Laura - I'm enjoying reading this book with you!"

Thanks, Marina! I've enjoyed reading it with you too. It's been a fun discussion. :)

re: your spoiler (view spoiler)

Carol (fleter) | 117 comments I'm about 35% done....and struggling with the writing style a lot. Like from the first few pages. Forging ahead.

message 24: by Tam (new)

Tam Cummings | 5 comments I'm just over half finished - enjoying the read thus far, kinda creepy family ties but overall enjoyable. I'm looking for answers to the questions in my head!

Marina (marina999) | 14 comments Carol and Tam - I'm looking forward to reading what you think when you finish.

Carol (fleter) | 117 comments I've finished. This was almost a DNF for me, which I never do. I appreciate that there are a lot of people who love this author's writing style, it just isn't for me. The last quarter of the book did pull me in and finally had some interest for me - before then, it felt like I was reading a harlequin romance. Now, romance books are not my thing; I read much more suspense - so maybe that helps with my reaction to the book. I can see that others have really enjoyed it.

Marina (marina999) | 14 comments Carol wrote: "I've finished. This was almost a DNF for me, which I never do. I appreciate that there are a lot of people who love this author's writing style, it just isn't for me. The last quarter of the book d..."

Shame you didn't enjoy it much but I can see why..
I think I read that the author is known for writing erotica - did I get that right?

Laura Carol wrote: "I've finished. This was almost a DNF for me, which I never do. I appreciate that there are a lot of people who love this author's writing style, it just isn't for me. The last quarter of the book d..."

I can understand why you almost DNF... this book in its twisted up plot definitely had topics that were uncomfortable. I wouldn't say that I loved the author's writing style nor did I love the book but it was definitely "weird" ( for lack of a better term) enough for me to finish and want to know what happened!

message 29: by Tam (new)

Tam Cummings | 5 comments Finished! I'm glad I stuck it out - but I really needed to know what happened to Allison. Good catch on the spoiler, Marina.. in hindsight I see what you saw :) Enjoyed reading with all of you -- can't wait for the next book.

message 30: by DrKmW (last edited Apr 27, 2018 07:46AM) (new)

DrKmW (chouchou24) | 10 comments Carol wrote: "I've finished. This was almost a DNF for me, which I never do. I appreciate that there are a lot of people who love this author's writing style, it just isn't for me. The last quarter of the book d..."

Hello Carol, I agree with you. I am picky too. I don’t like a lot certain genres. Neither do I appreciate poor writing with clichés, or twisted plots. Happy reading

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Lucky Ones (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Tiffany Reisz (other topics)