PenPal Readers discussion

Archive [General] > Activities update - Mar 15, 2018

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Anne ✨ (last edited Mar 19, 2018 01:36PM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments * Update1 : The New PenPal Pairing Challenge sign-up is now open!
- 1) FIRST, Sign-up to participate in the PenPal matching thread here... *Make a note of your 'comment #' when you sign-up, you'll need that for the matching form.
- 2) SECOND, Fill out the matching form here... The form collects your inputs that we'll use to match you to someone with.
- 3) THIRD, A week after you've signed up, check the pairings spreadsheet here to find out who you've been matched with for this challenge. (spreadsheet updated every 7-10 days)

* Update 2: Our Monthly Themed Read Challenge will now have an additional option for members to read a "Your Choice" book(s) (in the same theme as the month). This is a great option for members who may have already read the official BOTM, cannot locate the book, or are not interested to read it.
-------------------------------------------------
1) Welcome new members! Seeking PenPals
Welcome to the 70 new members (wow!) who have joined us since Jan. 1st. We look forward to getting to know you through PenPal'ing and group activities. If you're new and seeking a PenPal, start here....

❖ To all members looking for others to connect with, there's over 50 new 'Seeking a PenPal' requests posted since Jan. 1st, so be sure to check-out the threads, and reach out to someone with a 'hello'*
* For convenience, there's now a summary listing of PenPal requests. Here you can easily scan for someone who matches the type of PenPal you want (ie age, country, reading interests, other interests etc).

2) Monthly reads
Poll for our April read is open, vote here. Deadline is March 25. (Fantasy theme)
Poll for our May read is open, vote here. Deadline Apr. 14. (Movie theme)
We are taking suggestions for our June book (Sci-fi theme) here...
We are taking suggestions for our July book (Inspiration theme) here...

3) Copy Cat challenge
Sign-up for April Copy Cat is open here.. Sign-up deadline is Mar. 31, and pairings will be posted in the same thread on Apr 1.
New members, you can read about this challenge here, it's easy and fun to participate, you only need to read ONE book to complete it!

4) Extended Challenges
↠ 'Olympics Team Challenge' is in progress, and members are reading LOTS of books and having a great time conversing in the threads.
❖ We have some OPEN SPOTS on the reading teams (challenge goes until May 31st.) So, if you'd like to join in, comment below and I'll add you to a team until spots are filled. How the challenge works can be found here...

↠ New challenges coming soon Stay tuned for more information on TWO new challenges. One will be a PenPal Pairing Challenge (to help match up penpals), which will run (approx.) Apr-June, and the second one will be a fun member-generated task challenge which will run June-Dec.

Here's to a month of discovering new books to read and new friends to chat with!

This message has been broadcast to all members on Mar. 15

message 2: by Jazzy (last edited Mar 15, 2018 01:05PM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments How many people actually take part in the book of the month club? I usually find the selections to be something I've read already & wasn't keen on, or out of my price range and/or availability. Perhaps we could do a thing where we all read something in the category and just keep a running spreadsheet or something.

message 3: by Anne ✨ (last edited Mar 15, 2018 01:59PM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Jazzy wrote: "How many people actually take part in the book of the month club?...

I like your idea as a possible add-on! :) The survey responses came back with strong interest in continuing with the book of the month...

I know the BOTM can be limiting in that a given month's book choice will not appeal to everyone.. There will be those who will have already read the book chosen, and others who are just not interested in the book chosen. But ideally over a full year there will be enough varied selection that members will find something they like at least once or twice (more hopefully).

So, each month will have different participants, and that's o.k, actually a great way to keep meeting more members :) The more people that send in their suggestions, the better the book choices will match the group's reading preferences.

Of course the other great solution is that for any member who's not keen on the monthly book in a given month, they can initiate a Buddy Read for a different book of their choice, and some other members would hopefully join in. The Buddy Reads is newly added to our group, so may take a bit of time to catch on. :)

message 4: by Jazzy (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments The Buddy Read will be a lot more fun if my buddy actually comes back and posts something! (Jeferson, where are you?) but I've been busy the last couple of days, hope to start reading more soon.

This idea with the spreadsheet is really good, i think we should just have a running one with the group all year long as it seems to keep people reading, and that's always a good thing.

I would like to do the pen-friend thing but almost everyone is just kids. :(

message 5: by Tiina (new)

Tiina (ladybuginlove) | 371 comments Maybe we could have two books of the month, one that is chosen by popular vote and one that is "selected" from the variety of free ebooks available. Or something like that.

I am in the same situation as Jazzy with the books being already on my read shelf or unavailable. I've probably participated in about two monthly reads in the time I've been a part of this group which is far less than I would like.

Another option would be to talk about the availability of the books before setting up the vote - that way, it could be taken into account. And if a remarkable amount of members has already read the book, it would eliminate some candidates and maybe give chance to books otherwise considered.

I like the Buddy Reads so far but we'll see in a couple of months if the idea takes off. Although having too many new things is probably risky (no one has time for everything), I think some more monthly options would be great.

message 6: by Anne ✨ (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments Great input! Thanks!!! I really like the idea of an alternate , but maybe not have it be a single selected/chosen book, but instead maybe have it be ANY themed book a member wants to read? Ie. we could have a thread in the monthly read folder titled ‘April alternate:: Read ANY fantasy book’ . And invite members to pick any fantasy book, share in the thread what they are reading , and chat along the way about all things fantasy related? That gives people two options and they could do one or both of them! Thoughts?

message 7: by Jazzy (last edited Mar 15, 2018 04:35PM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments YAY Afa!

I think instead of/as-well-as a thread it would be nice to have a spreadsheet so we can see what our members are reading, does anyone else think so?

I love looking at the names of the books everyone is reading, but I'm always afraid people will give away too much when they talk about them, which is why I NEVER read reviews for books I want to read until after I've read them. For instance PLEASE never, ever tell me a book has a twist - when I read a book, I want to be surprised. It's not a twist if someone says so and I feel the book is spoilt. There was a stand-up routine on that subject once.

And I may not be popular for saying this, but I absolutely hate categorising a book as 'YA', and unless it's a book with 3 or 4 words on a page it's not a 'children's book.' A book is good or it isn't. 'Coming of Age' is good though, because that is a description of events, an awakening.

I fear I digress. What were we discussing again?

message 8: by Anne ✨ (last edited Mar 15, 2018 05:36PM) (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments @ Afa
Yay! Great to get your input in favor of this idea! I think it's going to be a great enhancement to the monthly read that should make it a lot easier for folks to participate.

@ Jazzy - our spreadsheet GURU!!! I get what you're saying about conversation threads.. Hopefully people will utilize the spoiler function, but I know it's always a risk. I'm a bit wary of a spreadsheet for this particular activity, but I love your idea of starting some form of ongoing challenge where folks can list books they're reading via spreadsheet, earning points, similar to our Olympics challenge! I need to think some more about theme, structure, timing, duration etc.. but I'm loving all this great input :)

For starters, I'll set-up an alternate thread for April, I'll highlight it in the next announcement, and we can see if it works well and how many people take part in it.

message 9: by Jazzy (last edited Mar 15, 2018 05:50PM) (new)

Jazzy Lemon (jazzylemon) | 494 comments Anne wrote...."

Oh I would like to keep the spreadsheet just to show how many books we're reading, finished, etc. Not as a competition. Actually I really get uncomfortable with competition, I want everyone to be a winner! :D

We could just keep track of our year in books this way, and then people can think aha, this lass has read all these books and I better crack on. And as for me, I haven't read hardly anything in the past few days but guitar books, but I didn't add them.

Oh! That reminds me, you were saying about 12 novellas or something, but i think hey if people will read more, I don't care how many comics, mangas, novellas they read as long as they're reading!
And mangas are not easy, fast reads. You have to take stock of what's in the drawings and read all the content as well. Reading them properly can take a little while.

message 10: by Anne ✨ (new)

Anne ✨ Finds Joy (annefindsjoy) | 718 comments @ Jazzy,

Yes, tracking your reads is fun! I think there are a number of Goodreads groups that have had challenges where you set a reading goal, and then track your books read all year towards your goal. It's typically done through threads though. And now Goodreads has the 'Reading Challenge' built right in so readers can set their goals and track their reads right on their profile page :) That's more for individual motivation though than within the group...

And I'm totally fine with 'no cap' on the 'short versions' in our Olympic challenge! Everyone is reading lots of different types of books, so it's a non-issue!

message 11: by Zoe (new)

Zoe (zo-ereader) | 490 comments Just to update you all - I've put out some information on the upcoming Pen Pal Challenge! You can check it out here!

message 12: by Syndi Siahaan (new)

Syndi Siahaan | 122 comments Afa wrote: "I think it'd be great to have the option to read any book in the chosen genre!"

Me too. I have never join in the book of the month challenge because no library in my town provide books in English so I need to buy them, meanwhile I only buy a book which is in a discount price (too expensive if not, I can buy food for 4 people in exchange to buying 1 book in normal price) and those books on sale is not the BOTM.