Terminalcoffee discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Feeling Nostalgic? The archives > Pressure Cooker?

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (mrsnolte) | 17320 comments Mod
Bun Wat, I'm looking at you with this question:

I put some eggs in a pan, and covered the pan. Turned the heat to high, and left it to boil. Then I went out to get the paper and spent a few too many muintes looking at my flowers. Came back in, took the pot off the burner, and set it for about 10 minutes to let the eggs cook.

Now I can't get the lid off! WTF? Is my pot going to explode?

message 2: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) It will release as it cools, Sally. That's some good cookware you have there, that it seals that well.

It won't explode -- but the eggs are still cooking in there. Put the pot in some cold water.

message 3: by Sally, la reina (new)

The lid came off. Crisis over. Phew!

message 4: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments SALLY!!!! Have fun at the park today! Don't forget to wear sunscreen.

And drink LOTS of water.

And don't lose your flip flops.

I'm totally jealous. I want to go to the water park today. :(

message 5: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments These pressure cooker things worth it? How much do they cost? What do they do?

message 6: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments sure RA. they are virtual exploding steam bombs. get one for the kitchen where your family and kids are. i think they have to be certified by ASME or by Homeland Defense contractors. better yet - just get spinning surgical steel blades installed on the walls

message 7: by RandomAnthony (new)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Now that sounds like some cooking my kids would enjoy.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments I don't own one, but have many family members who swear by them. My mother's husband, on the other hand, is terrified of them, and won't be in the room when one is on.

Another explosive question: has anybody else ever made dulce de leche in an intact can of condensed milk?

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments Uh, no, Sarah Pi. Why???

message 10: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I'm sure someone, somewhere has.

message 11: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments what about shooting a can of redi whip with a .22 rifle.... anyone? anyone? bueller? bueller?

yeah. me neither ;)

message 12: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments My mamaw had one that she used a lot, that hissing, whistling noise is one of the staple background sounds of my childhood.

message 13: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments and the very light tapping sound of the little metal thing where the steam came out at the top

message 14: by Félix (new)

Félix (habitseven) I have those memories, too, Mindy.

message 15: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 13815 comments Jackie "the Librarian" wrote: "Uh, no, Sarah Pi. Why???"

Because we've done it, but I don't understand why it works, and why it doesn't kill everyone in the room.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments So, how do you DO it? Heat up the unopened can?

message 17: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Heidi wrote: "SALLY!!!! Have fun at the park today! Don't forget to wear sunscreen.

And drink LOTS of water.

And don't lose your flip flops.

I'm totally jealous. I want to go to the water p..."

SALLY! I expect a reply when you return. Don't ignore meeeee!!!

message 18: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments All my memories of her and her house are all wrapped in food.

message 19: by Heidi (last edited Aug 13, 2009 02:24PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Mindy wrote: "All my memories of her and her house are all wrapped in food."

:) Grandmas can be cool like that.

message 20: by Lori (new)

Lori Yeah. For me it's the wonderful smell of Jewish chicken soup. *slobber*

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments My grandmother taught me how to play cards. Crazy 8s remind me of her.

message 22: by Meen (new)

Meen (meendee) | 1733 comments She also read voraciously, nothing "classic," but just tons and tons of dime paperbacks all over her hourse. And she would let me read as much as I wanted (which was always) when I was there. I LOVED reading the gothic paperbacks. I thought they were SOOOO scary! In fact, I was looking at some of them I kept when I was unpacking the other day and was wondering how they would read now, if it would even be bearable.

:)

message 23: by Heidi (last edited Aug 13, 2009 03:12PM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments My 88-year old grandmother still does her own gardening, all of her own fix-it projects, goes out Cajun two-stepping once a week, and plays Texas Hold 'Em at least once a week. She kicks my butt in cards. I won't even pretend to lie about it. And when she and her sister are at the table together, they are impossible to beat. They're BOTH sharks! Every time I see flowers, I think of her - the really fragrant and beautiful ones move her to tears. It wasn't until I was out on my own that I could appreciate her passion for gardening and flowers.

My other grandmother (who's 85) is completely domestic and sweet as sweet can be. She loves to watch sports with her boys (my dad, uncles, and my cousins), cooks like NOBODY's business (actually both do), has the memory recall of a computer (I inherited that from her), is an excellent storyteller, and is well-read. When my stepmother was still a journalist, she'd call my grandmother to get some perspective and sometimes quotes for articles about historical figures and events.

Now that they're getting up in years, I've been trying to absorb as much of their stories and knowledge as I can. I've learned quite a bit from them and will always be reminded of them when I do any gardening, making the bed with hospital corners, coloring inside the lines, peeling vegetables, sewing a button on a shirt, shuffling cards, letter writing; baking cookies, cakes or pie; preparing corn or beans for dinner, dancing/enjoying good music.

More than anything, though, watching their hands working and their eyes are what stay with me. Good stuff. It's all good stuff.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments You're a lucky girl to have such great grandmothers, and for as LONG as you've had them, Heidi. :)

message 25: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Oh I know this, Jackie. :) Both my grandfathers lived until I was in college, too.

message 26: by Sally, la reina (new)

Heidi wrote: "SALLY! I expect a reply when you return. Don't ignore meeeee!!!
"

I'm home Heids! It was a fun day, and now I'm pooped.

message 27: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments my grandma martin always had a cinnamon and sugar shaker on her shelf. it was green and it was for toast. i can't eat toast without thinking of her

message 28: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Sally wrote: "Heidi wrote: "SALLY! I expect a reply when you return. Don't ignore meeeee!!!
"

I'm home Heids! It was a fun day, and now I'm pooped. "

Are you all better this morning, Sally? :)

message 29: by Heidi (last edited Aug 14, 2009 05:18AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments My great-grandmother was a former-school teacher and a postmistress (one of the few females in the country at the time she was hired as postmistress) by the time I was born. I can't help but hear her voice in my mind every time I hear a person speak. She was always telling my cousins and me, "You MUST articulate and enunciate." But it's not like she was a mean, strict person... she'd almost always tell us this while she was busy making us a sock-it-to-me cake or snickerdoodles from scratch. :) My dad says she was always telling the grandkids (my uncles, aunt, & him) this, too.

message 30: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments nothing directed toward your great-grandmother but the word "postmistress" sounds naughty.

(maybe it's just because it is friday)

message 31: by Dan (new)

Dan Schwent (akagunslinger) Kevin "El Liso Grande" wrote: "nothing directed toward your great-grandmother but the word "postmistress" sounds naughty.

(maybe it's just because it is friday)"

Postmistress would sound naughty any day. I hear the postmistress whacks your hand with a riding crop if you don't say please when you ask for stamps.

message 32: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Tweren't nuthin naughty about Mama Grace. She was a lady through and through.

message 33: by Kevin (new)

Kevin  (ksprink) | 11469 comments totally didn't mean to say nothing about Mama Grace. just about the word itself

message 34: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments I know. I'm just pokin fun at you two. Actually, I've always thought the same thing... which would make it a definite oxymoron in her regard.

message 35: by Sally, la reina (new)

Heidi wrote: "Are you all better this morning, Sally? :) "

I'm still veeeeeeeeery tired and achey. I don't waaaaana go to campus and write all day! But I haaaafta! :(

message 36: by Heidi (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10825 comments Dawwww... ::big bear, glomp-style hugs:: It's Friday though, Sally. :)

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.