Holocaust/WW II Lit discussion

Discussion of progress > How is your book?

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristine, Mrs. Faust (last edited Mar 15, 2018 07:11AM) (new)

Kristine Faust | 9 comments Tell us who you are (first name only), your book title and author, and give us some thoughts about your book so far. This is the 1st of 2 posts you need to make for our unit.

message 2: by Delanie (new)

Delanie Coady | 2 comments Hello everyone, my name is Delanie.

Thus far in my reading, I am enjoying my book a lot. I am reading Night by Elie Wiesel. I am a little over half way through the novel and I am taken back by the intensity it holds. I have learned about the tragedies that took place during the Holocaust but it takes it to a whole new level when you are hearing a first hand account. It breaks my heart to hear about the horrifying things that the main character and his father have gone through up to this point. Although it is difficult hearing of such heinous crimes committed by the Nazis, I am glad that there are survivors that can keep these stories alive in our society and give us a personal account of what they endured.

message 3: by Bailey (last edited Mar 15, 2018 11:09AM) (new)

Bailey Tjossem | 2 comments Hi, my name is Bailey.

The book I read was Surviving the Angel of Death and the authors are Eva Mozes Kor and Lisa Rojany Buccieri. I finished the book and really enjoyed it. This book starts off by describing the two twins who are the main characters and then describes where the girls and their family live. Although it may sound boring to read about two girls and where they live, it most definitely was not. There was so much action in the book that it made me want to keep reading onto the next page. It was very hard to put this book down after I started reading it! I also enjoyed how the book was a personal story about twins who survived Auschwitz. It opened my eyes up to what really happened during the Holocaust.

message 4: by Wylee (new)

Wylee Sickelka | 2 comments Hi I'm Wylee. The book I read was Girl In The Blue Coat by Monica Hesse. I have finished the book and loved it. Although it is fiction the book portrays real events and gives a good background. The characters' personalities give the book good depth and meaning. It is written through the main character's point of view and tells of her journey through the Nazi's invasion of her country. The book was very well written and kept me wanting more.

message 5: by Levi (new)

Levi | 2 comments Hi I'm Levi. The book I am reading is Milkweed by Jerry Spinelli. I'm about halfway through the book, and I really don't like it. It tries to be funny, but most of the jokes are childish. I'm not bashing the book, but it has a low reading level and it feels like an elementary book. It took 30 pages to figure out what they were even talking about. There are two main characters in the book and they both are very vague. They both do the same things and it's hard to keep them apart. Maybe this book would be easy or funny for an elementary class room.

message 6: by Richard (new)

Richard Nyunt | 2 comments Hi, I'm Richard. I am roughly over halfway through my book, For Those I Loved by Martin Gray, and have both despised it and enjoyed it thoroughly at the same time. In my opinion it is a very challenging piece of literature due to it having many words compacted onto a singular page and containing a large number of these pages. There are some pictures throughout the book, but I would rate this as one of the most, if not the most, challenging and difficult book I have ever read. However, the book is amazing to read at the same time. I myself find myself easily engulfed into the story of the main character, although he is the only character with very much depth in the book. I personally am enjoying my book so far, though am displeased with the difficulty at which I have to read to access the quality of the content.

message 7: by Camille (new)

Camille De Zeeuw | 2 comments Mrs. De Zeeuw here. I just finished my book, The Seamstress: A Memoir of Survival, by Sara Tuvel Bernstein. The book was very interesting. I am used to reading Holocaust stories set in Germany, Poland, or the Netherlands. This story took place in Romania. The author did a nice job of describing all the places and events in the book. She had a very large family, so keeping all the people straight was hard sometimes! Otherwise, this book was easy to understand. From reading the description of the book, I knew she survived the war. Knowing that information from the start didn’t seem like a spoiler; it kept me reading and interested in how she survived. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading stories about strong people and their will to keep going despite the odds.

message 8: by Kristine, Mrs. Faust (new)

Kristine Faust | 9 comments Mrs. Faust checking in here! I am so enjoying the first posts here! I am glad to hear some of you are enjoying your books and are being challenged! Continue to press on and encourage others to post, so I can feel connected to your work this week!

message 9: by Alexis (new)

Alexis | 2 comments Hi I'm Alexis. The book that I just finished was called The War That Saved My Life. I loved the book because it gave a good message and also life lessons throughout every chapter. The main character, Ada, was born with a twisted foot, and due to the abuse of her mother, she thought she was worthless, useless, and a disgrace. Then she and her younger brother are sent to live with a single women to escape the German bombs. While living with this woman, Ada learns so much about herself, such as there is more to her than her foot. She teaches herself to ride a horse, to walk, and also to read and write. She steps out of her shell and becomes a hero by catching a German spy and also helping with wounded soldiers. She ended up loving her new life despite her foot and she learns that her purpose is to help and love others, and most importantly she learns to love herself.

message 10: by Christian (new)

Christian | 2 comments Christian here. I'm reading the Zookeepers's Wife by Diane Ackerman. The book has a really great story, but the author really likes to over set the scene in the book. She also likes to use examples of things that she knows the reader wont understand, so she has to explain it which is kind of annoying.

message 11: by Nikki (new)

Nikki Feltman | 2 comments Hello, I'm Nikki. I've had the pleasure of reading "The Choice," a memoir written by Dr. Edith Eva Eger. I'm in the last stretch of this book (it's broken into four separate parts - I'm on part IV). So far, I've become completely enveloped in the story of Dr. Eger's life.

From her time in Auschwitz, her marriage and divorce, and her struggles with overcoming the trauma that she lived through and using it to help others, the book is brilliant. Since I'm a big fan of Holocaust novels, it's refreshing to read something that's more than the story of Auschwitz and liberation. In fact, that's only about the first fourth of the book. The rest is much more about a topic that I've fallen in love with since writing a paper about it - embracing brokenness.

I'm sad to finish this book but can't wait to read the rest!

message 12: by Molly (new)

Molly Lenz | 2 comments Hello. I’m Molly. I’m reading The Boy on the Wooden Box by Leon Leyson. This is a memoir by the author of his experiences in the Holocaust. He was one of Schindler’s kids. Because it’s the truth, there is quite the extra amount of information about his home and family. It’s fascinating but extensive. It’s a good book, but the Nazis don’t make an appearance until nearly the halfway point. It’s pretty slow, but chock full of content. It’s a great book so far.

message 13: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Nieuwenhuis | 2 comments Hi I'm Jordan. I read the book Surviving the Angel of Death by Eva Mozes Kor and Lisa Rojany Buccieri. I thoroughly enjoyed it, especially all of the detailed parts of her life in Auschwitz. It was a little hard to read since there were so many things that were very inhumane, but overall it made me really empathize for every Jew that was involved in the Holocaust. I liked reading this book because I learned things that I did not know before. The main character who also wrote this book was a twin that was experimented on by Doctor Mengele in Auschwitz. The Nazis wanted to find out how twins were made so that they could expand the Aryan race. Throughout the book I wish there was more content within, because the author cannot fully recall some of the events. Overall it was a really interesting and heartbreaking book, but it helped me realize that there was more to concentration camps than just work and gas chambers.

message 14: by Layn (new)

Layn Case | 2 comments Hi, I'm Layn. The book I read was The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne. Reading is not my thing but I still enjoyed the book. This book gives you a different perspective on the holocaust than most books give. Its main character isn't a resident of a concentration camp but is actually about a boy who lives by Auschwitz. This book allows for two different views on the concentration camps and the Jews. The author wrote this book for a younger audience and I feel like if it was meant for a more mature audience I would have liked it more.

message 15: by Taylor (new)

Taylor Steffens | 2 comments Hi, I'm Taylor. I'm Reading Surviving The Angel of Death by Eva Mozes Kor, and Lisa Rojany Buccieri. I am over half way finished with this book and have really enjoyed it. It shows the bond between two Mengele's Twins who are willing to do anything to stay strong, first their hometown where were people around them quickly changed from friendly neighbors to enemies and then second, Auschwitz.

message 16: by Gabby (new)

Gabby Heeren | 2 comments Hi, I'm Gabby. The book that I'm reading is called Behind the Bedroom Wall by Laura E. Williams. I am a little over halfway through the book and I have enjoyed it. The main character is Korinna Rehme. She is a member of a Nazi youth group and believes that Hitler is helping Germany out. Little does she know that her parents are actually hiding a Jewish mother and child in her room.

message 17: by Crystal11 (new)

Crystal11 | 2 comments Hi, I'm Crystal. I'm currently reading Schindler's List by Thomas Keneally. I'm halfway through it and I have to admit, its a pretty good book. Although I would have to say its for advanced readers. The book talks about Oskar Schindler and how he helped thousands of Jews survive the camps. He gave Jews work in his factories which were enamelware and ammunition factories. The book focuses on Oskars personal life and how he chose to help the Jews and how he made a great impact in his life and the Jews life as well.

message 18: by Adam (new)

Adam Richter | 2 comments Hi, I'm Adam. I just finished The Doll with the Yellow Star by Yona Zeldis McDonough. It started off a little slow just talking about how a girl named Claudine had got a doll for her birthday, and how she took it everywhere and did everything with it. She didn't understand what was going on during the time. She had to quit seeing her friends and sew a star on her jacket. It starts to get better towards the end when she has to drop everything and head to America alone. She has a tough time in America where she has to worry about her parents anytime. The toughest part is when her father comes over as well, but Claudine has to face the tough reality that her mother won't be joining them...

message 19: by Shala (new)

Shala Boardman | 2 comments Hi, I'm Shala. The book I'm reading is The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah. I've really enjoyed it so far. It's about the women left behind in Nazi occupied France. Throughout the book the characters are faced with many difficult decisions and it makes me wonder what I would do in a similar situation.

message 20: by Rylee (new)

Rylee Dickson | 2 comments Hi, I'm Rylee. The book I read was Surviving the Angel of Death by Eva Mozes Kor and Lisa Rojany Buccieri. I love this book and recommend it to everyone. The beginning is very slow and I didn't think it would be easy to follow. Once you start getting to where they were used as experiments pulls you in more. Throughout the book you see all the struggles the twins had to face. It also had a good life lesson. Seeing the brutality hurts that people actually went through that. I guarantee you will be moved by this book.

message 21: by Alissa (new)

Alissa | 2 comments Hi, I'm Alissa and I read the book Memories of Anne Frank by Alison Leslie Gold. I enjoyed reading this book because it's the actual memories of Hannah Goslar, Anne Franks friend who survived the Holocaust. Throughout this book, Hannah is sent to multiple camps with her family until all of them but her sister died. Right before the end of the war, Hannah and Anne end up at the same camp, so Hannah was shocked when she found out that Anne had died just a few days before it ended. I've read a lot about Anne Frank so it was great to get a different perspective.

message 22: by Noelle (new)

Noelle Stover | 1 comments Hello, my name is Noelle and I just finished reading 'The Nightingale' by Kristin Hannah. This book was interesting because 1) it gives you 2 different perspectives of two different people, 2) it makes you wonder what's going to happen next, & 3) it makes you question what would happen if you were in their situations during the war. I was really shocked that my prediction of Isabelle dying came true, I didn't actually want that to happen, I usually end up being wrong.
But it really made me sad and it warmed my heart just to know that Isabelle wanted an adventure like the war heroes she always read about in her father's bookstore.
I've read a lot of books that had to deal with certain groups and the things they had to sacrifice, but this was really a great book to understand the hardships of war and life in general.

message 23: by Colton (new)

Colton | 2 comments Hi my name is Colton and I finished reading Prisoner B-3087 by Alan Gratz Based on a true story of Jack Gruener in this book jack is sent to many concentration camps and was on two death marches he came close to death many times. He did survive and moved to America.

message 24: by Kristine, Mrs. Faust (new)

Kristine Faust | 9 comments I have really enjoyed reading all the comments about your books! Thanks for the updates!

message 25: by Jackson (new)

Jackson | 2 comments Hi my name is Jackson. The book I am currently reading is The Boy Who Dared by Susan Campbell Bartoletti. This book is about a young boy who wants to speak out and retaliate against the Nazis. He creates flyers and posts them around the city which is dangerous because if he is caught he will be killed. So far this is a really great book.