2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2018 > Party Like It's 1564!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3073 comments PARTY LIKE IT'S 1564!
Duration: 20-23 April 2018

Historians believe that William Shakespeare was born on April 23, in 1564 and died on the same day in 1616. As part of our party, we would like to celebrate his birthday with a mini-challenge.

For this challenge, you will select the Shakespeare play or plays you would like to read and post them below. You can also watch an adaptation of a play alongside the reading to get the most out of it. Once you've finished your play(s), let us know how it went. We are looking forward to seeing what you all decide to read, and I will be updating as we go along.

You will receive 1 raffle ticket per play read

message 2: by Rachael (last edited Apr 30, 2018 05:39AM) (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3073 comments Participants
Updated to message 69

Amanda 0/1
Anne 0/1
Becky 0/1
✅ Blagica 2/1
✅ Cendaquenta 1/1
✅ ⚜Chalmation⚜ 1/2
Dlyn 0/2
Fatma 0/1
Faye 0/2
Frenchpolkadot 0/2
✅ Ilona 1/1
JoJo 2/3
Julia 0/2
Kadijah Michelle 0/2
Katie 0/2
Kim 0/1
Kristin 0/1
Kristina 1/2
Lindsay 0/2
✅ Lisa 4/4
Lynnette 0/1
Mary Pat 0/1
✅ Mie 1/1
Mindy 0/1
✅ Rachael 1/1
Rachelnyc 0/2 (1 read before challenge started)
Sharon 0/1?
Tina 0/2
Wayne 0/2

message 3: by Rachael (last edited Apr 22, 2018 09:11AM) (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3073 comments I'm going to be reading The Merchant of Venice for this challenge. What will you be reading?

COMPLETED 22 APRIL

message 5: by Mie (last edited Apr 22, 2018 07:07AM) (new)

Mie | 1897 comments I will go for 1 and it will one of these:

Romeo and Juliet - 2,5⭐️
King Lear

If I have time, I will read them both ;-)

message 6: by Rachael (last edited Mar 18, 2018 08:37AM) (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3073 comments Kristin wrote: "I am in for 1 play, but haven't decided which. I have narrowed it down to Hamlet, Macbeth, A Midsummer Night's Dream, The Comedy of Errors, or [book..."

For anyone looking for guidance, I found No Fear Shakespeare useful when I was studying Shakespeare at school. It puts Shakespeare's words alongside a modern English version. It also summarises themes and characters. Or you could buddy read a play with another member?

message 8: by Becky (new)

Becky | 64 comments I am in for 1:
Othello

message 9: by Chalmation (last edited Apr 23, 2018 04:42PM) (new)

Chalmation | 1983 comments I'm in for 2.

2/2
Complete

King Lear Finished 4/21/18
The Comedy of Errors Finished 4/23/18

message 10: by Rachelnyc (last edited Apr 12, 2018 09:00AM) (new)

Rachelnyc | 170 comments I'm in for two.

1/2

A Midsummer Night's Dream and second one TBD

message 11: by Cendaquenta (new)

Cendaquenta | 307 comments I already own The Winter's Tale so this is probably a good opportunity to finally read it! Count me in. :)

message 12: by Blagica , Cheerleader! (new)

Blagica  | 12010 comments I am in for one

message 13: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new)

Ilona | 3986 comments I will be reading Romeo and Juliet.

message 14: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments I am in for one - just don't know which one yet!

message 15: by Lynn (last edited Mar 19, 2018 10:53PM) (new)

message 16: by Katie (new)

Katie (littlelistmaker) | 61 comments Hopefully I don't forget since this is over a month away, but I'd like to read two!

message 17: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3073 comments Katie wrote: "Hopefully I don't forget since this is over a month away, but I'd like to read two!
I'll post reminders/countdowns in this thread :)

message 18: by Lindsay (last edited Apr 08, 2018 06:59PM) (new)

Lindsay | 459 comments I'm in! I'll read Hamlet and The Merchant of Venice.

message 19: by Amanda (last edited May 01, 2018 02:21AM) (new)

Amanda R (fairyteapot) | 1411 comments Party Like it's 1564!
Duration: 20-23 April 2018

1. Macbeth by William Shakespeare
Completed 23/4/18 Rating 4 stars

1/1

Challenge completed

message 20: by Fatma (new)

Fatma Al-Qais (fyalqais) | 25 comments I’m in for Romeo and Juliet.

message 21: by Kristina (last edited Mar 25, 2018 02:35PM) (new)

Kristina | 344 comments I will aim for 2:

King Lear
Othello

message 22: by Lisa (last edited Mar 28, 2018 04:01AM) (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3273 comments Uuuuuh! Shakespeare - my one true love!
I'm in a very Shakesperean mood after reading If We Were Villains, so I'm going to go for the four tragedies featured in that book.

I'll be reading: Romeo and Juliet, Julius Caesar, King Lear, and Macbeth (though not necessarily in that order)

message 23: by Lisa (last edited Mar 28, 2018 08:30AM) (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3273 comments Kristin wrote: "I am in for 1 play, but haven't decided which. I have narrowed it down to Hamlet, Macbeth, A Midsummer Night's Dream, The Comedy of Errors, or [book..."

Kristin,
I always find it hard to provide any guidance when it comes to the plays of Shakespeare because I think watching a great production trumps reading them, any day of the week. Furthermore, it can be difficult to predict what will be most appealing to you as a first read.
Having said that, I personally suggest starting with a comedy. One that is funny and rather accessible is A Midsummer Night's Dream.

Personally, I started with The Comedy of Errors, which is in fact his shortest play, and Twelfth Night, then moved into the tragedies like Romeo and Juliet, Hamlet and Macbeth, and from there went into the more historic ones.

message 24: by Lisa (last edited Mar 28, 2018 08:29AM) (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3273 comments I found these two links with some fun infographics to help you determine what to read if you can't decide :D

- What Shakespeare play should I read
- Determine which Shakespeare play

message 25: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3073 comments Lisa, thank you for the advice! It looks very useful.

message 26: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 739 comments I'm in, I "speak" Shakespeare! I was in A Midsummer Nights Dream in high school and I had a complete works of Shakespeare class in college. I like Rachael's link to http://m.sparknotes.com/nfs - be fun to compare. I'll probably read Julius Caesar maybe one or two others if I have time.

message 27: by Mindy (new)

Mindy Jones (mindyrecycles) I'll read Comedy of Errors. 0/1

Thanks for the No Fear Shakespeare link, Rachel! That's awesome.

message 28: by Faye (new)

Faye | 55 comments I’ll aim for 2; Midsummer Night’s Dream and Julius Caesar

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I will read 2 plays—Richard II and Richard III

message 30: by Kadijah Michelle (last edited Apr 06, 2018 05:58AM) (new)

Kadijah Michelle (kadmich) | 2176 comments Lisa wrote: "Kristin wrote: "I am in for 1 play, but haven't decided which. I have narrowed it down to Hamlet, Macbeth, A Midsummer Night's Dream, [book:The Comedy of Errors|..."

I totally agree Lisa.
If any of you can get a dramatic interpretation of the play you are reading, please try. It does truly help with the understanding and enjoyment of Shakespeare.

message 31: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3273 comments Another suggestion I think would be great for this challenge is full-cast dramatizations (audiobooks).

I know Librivox has a vast collection of public-domain books

Instead of listing all the websites I recommend for free audiobooks, I'm linking this :
https://bookriot.com/2016/09/15/11-we...

message 32: by Rachael (last edited Apr 06, 2018 12:34PM) (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3073 comments 2 weeks to go! Still time to sign up.
I've done a spreadsheet of the plays we're going to be reading so far. Scroll across to see who else has chosen your play.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

message 33: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new)

Ilona | 3986 comments Lisa wrote: "Another suggestion I think would be great for this challenge is full-cast dramatizations (audiobooks).

Instead of listing all the we..."

Thanks for the links! I'll try and listen to an audiobook while reading Romeo and Juliet.

message 34: by Lynnette (new)

Lynnette Pakes | 23 comments I'm going for one A Midsummer Night's Dream

message 35: by Frenchpolkadot (new)

Frenchpolkadot (frenchpolkadots) | 17 comments Hamlet
A Midsummer Night's Dream

message 36: by Kim (new)

Kim | 9 comments I will read The Merchant of Venice.

message 37: by Anne (last edited Apr 23, 2018 05:55AM) (new)

Anne | 51 comments I will read Richard III.

Update (April 23): Finished and loved it!

message 38: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 170 comments Update to message 12.

I am 1/2.

I read A Midsummer Night's Dream which I enjoyed but as others have said, I definitely prefer seeing the stage version of Shakespeare than reading it.

message 39: by JoJo (last edited Apr 23, 2018 02:33AM) (new)

JoJo (jojo2013) | 813 comments 2/3

1. Hamlet
2. Twelfth Night - finished on 23/4/18
3. The Taming of the Shrew - finished on 22/4/18

message 40: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3273 comments You know how sometimes the last thing on your mind before going on bed, is also the first thing in the morning?

Well, last night I was checking comments on this thread and remembered that I used to have a collection of Shakespeare's sonnets. Then this morning, I wake up silently reciting Sonnet 18 ( "Shall I compare thee to a Summer's day?) and wondering what had become of that book.

If that's not my subconscious telling me to search for it at my mom's house, I don't know what is 😁

message 41: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3073 comments Rachelnyc and JoJo, well done for completing your plays. Unfortunately, the challenge hasn't started yet, and you will only receive raffle tickets for plays read between April 20 and 23.

message 42: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3273 comments Ilona wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Another suggestion I think would be great for this challenge is full-cast dramatizations (audiobooks).

Instead of listi..."

You are most welcome! I hope you enjoy :)

message 43: by JoJo (new)

JoJo (jojo2013) | 813 comments Rachael wrote: "Rachelnyc and JoJo, well done for completing your plays. Unfortunately, the challenge hasn't started yet, and you will only receive raffle tickets for plays read between April 20 and 23."

Whoops! I didn't even notice the challenge dates lol.

message 44: by Rachael (last edited Apr 22, 2018 04:17AM) (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 3073 comments This challenge starts tomorrow! I'll be updating everyday (in between reading my own play) Good luck and I hope you enjoy your plays by William Shakespeare :)

message 45: by Ilona, Global Moderator (new)

Ilona | 3986 comments How is everyone doing?

I just finished reading Romeo and Juliet, while listening to a full-cast LibriVox recording (version 2) and while the text was not one-hundred percent the same, it definitely improved my understanding en enjoyment of this famous work. I encountered several poetic sentences that I had heart before without getting the reference, and am glad that I finally picked this up. The story itself is rather ridiculous, drama-queen Romeo and incredibly naïve Juliet falling in love at first sight, but the poetry is lovely, and that is what counts most for me when reading Shakespeare.

message 46: by Lisa (last edited Apr 20, 2018 03:28PM) (new)

Lisa Grønsund (gullita) | 3273 comments Ilona wrote: "How is everyone doing?

I just finished reading Romeo and Juliet, while listening to a full-cast LibriVox recording (version 2) and while the text was not one-hundred percent the same,..."

Well... Juliet is merely 13 years old, so I can kind of forgive her half-witted decisions. But Romeo is said to be around 18, and his irrationality always annoys me :D

message 47: by Cendaquenta (new)

Cendaquenta | 307 comments Just read The Winter's Tale. :)

message 48: by Chalmation (new)

Chalmation | 1983 comments Edited message #11 to add another book, for a total of 2.

message 49: by Chalmation (new)

Chalmation | 1983 comments Finished King Lear.

1/2

message 50: by JoJo (new)

JoJo (jojo2013) | 813 comments I finished reading The Taming of the Shrew and have updated my original message. I listened to the Libravox (? spelling) audiobook, along with reading the original and modern translations, and analysis on SparkNotes.

« previous 1