Cask & Quill Book Club discussion

The Bell Jar
This topic is about The Bell Jar
The Bell Jar > Member Introductions - The Bell Jar

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Anna (Cask & Quill) (caskandquill) | 25 comments Mod
Hello, everyone!

Here's a spot to quick introduce yourself to the rest of the group. Let's get to know each other a little bit! You might share your favorite books or genres. A book recommendation. Where in the world you're located. Or anything else that occurs to you!

I'd also love it if you'd include a little something about what you're looking forward to in reading this book. Is this your first time reading it? And also would you please share what you hope to experience in reading it with a group like this?

I'll start!

You probably already know me somewhat from Instagram, but I'm @caskandquill on there. :) I'm Anna otherwise and I live in Minnesota. I love most types of books, but fantasy and the classics are my favorites. My favorite books (and ones I'd recommend to anyone) are Frankenstein, Watchmen and The Hobbit. Other than reading I love to write, draw, watch movies and spend time with my friends!

I'm really thrilled to have you all here with me to read The Bell Jar! It's part of the list of 30 books I want to read before turning 30. This is my first time reading it, though I have read snippets before. I'm really excited to discuss it with a group! I love and really miss discussing literature as I used to do all the time in college. I'm hoping we can help each other get even more out of the book than we would on our own!

Anna Ra | 1 comments Hi I’m Ana and I live in Germany 👋🏼. I’m 17 years old and just finishing high school. I love to read (obviously) and travel and have a passion for medicine ❤️.

I was introduced to Sylvia Plath by @litemporium on insta but I haven’t read more than few of her poems on Pinterest 😅. So I’m really excited about The Bell Jar 🎉.

message 4: by Kat (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kat (freekat) | 5 comments Hi I'm Kristin and I live in California. I've been on a fantasy kick lately but I also like to read mysteries, contemporary, and basically anything that peaks my interest. I love watching movies and exploring when I'm not reading.

This is my first time reading The Bell Jar or anything by Sylvia Plath. I've never been apart of a book club and I'm really looking forward to being able to discuss books with fellow book lovers! I'm also really intrigued by your list of 30 books to read before turning 30, I only have a few years until I'm there too!

Melodie Hammett (porcupineapple4) | 1 comments Hi all! My name is Melodie, and I’m from Alabama. I typically lean towards fantasy, but I also enjoy regular fiction. I started The Bell Jar once but somehow I got distracted and didn’t finish it. It’s my best friends favorite book, so I feel awful for not having read it yet. Hahaha I’ve heard great things, not just from her, so I know it’ll be a good read. I’m also using this as an accountability for my own reading, as I’ve struggled making time to actually sit still and read something.

message 6: by Traci (new)

Traci | 1 comments Good day! I'm Traci from Ohio. I enjoy reading, writing, drawing, playing music, needlecraft and gardening. I read a lot of mysteries and classics. Fantasy was added just a few years ago and I'm hooked.

My husbsnd and I also read aloud at nite and presently the book is A Gentleman in Moscow, 2nd time thru for me.

I'm 58, my husband and i met in the library, i enjoy writing stories of people past in appalachia territory and we have many fury babies.

Looking forward to Bell Jar, I've never read it and look to sharing out thots on this book and hopefully more to come.

It's so fun getting to know you all a bit! I can't wait to move forward and start discussing! :) If you guys are like me, it's sometimes hard to remember to check Goodreads, so I'll try to put some discussion reminders up in my Insta-story from time to time!

We'll be starting to read on April 1 and judging from the poll, I'm thinking we'll take about 3-4 weeks to read it. Everyone is free to go at their own pace, though! I'm going to break the book into 3-4 parts and have a separate discussion area for each part. Only read the discussions to where you've read so you can avoid any spoilers. And please let's do our best to only discuss content from those chapters or earlier in the corresponding discussion for the same reason.

Thanks, everyone! I hope you're as excited as I am!

message 8: by Kat (new)

Kat  (caveatlectors) Hello!
I’m Kat from Kat.bookish. I’m a stay at home mom of two who is passionate about books, coffee, photography, and nature. I enjoy fantasy, YA, romance, crime novels, and mystery. I seem to enjoy non-American crime/mystery novels more for some reason lol. I haven’t read The Bell Jar and I haven’t read the synopsis either. So I’m jumping in blind which I don’t mind!

Emily (arlunydd) Hello! I'm Emily! Formerly from Canada, now in Scotland. I love Tolkien books, as well as books by Irene Nemirovsky. I tried reading the bell jar before but couldn't get through it. Perhaps with a group, I'll be more enthusiastic!

Hoping that's true for all of us, Emily! :)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi, I’m Nichelle and I live in MN. I used to be an avid reader, but have fallen out of the practice in recent years. I’m trying to get back into reading again as I know how much joy it has brought me in the past! I’m hoping reading this book as a part of a book club will help provide the support and accountability to get back into it. I’ve never read The Bell Jar, and honestly don’t really know what it’s about either, so I’m excited to get started!

message 12: by Rebecca (new) - added it

Rebecca Lynn  | 2 comments Hi everyone! I've been meaning to introduce myself into this for a while, but somehow haven't actually gotten around to doing it until now!
I'm Rebecca, originally from Arizona, currently in Texas, but moving back to Arizona in a few months. I'm a Veterinarian Technician at an Emergency Clinic which is where I actually get a majority of my reading done in the wee hours of the morning caring for hospitalized patients.
I have read The Bell Jar in the past, but actually don't remember too much about it. I've learned that rereading books I read in high school I come out way more appreciative of then I was before.
I can't wait to see what I learn from it as well as learn from all of you!

Thanks for introducing yourself, everyone!! It seems like we’ve got a great group here! I hope you’re all ready to start reading tomorrow if you haven’t begun already! Remember, it’s okay to go at your own pace. I’ve broken the discussion into four parts. As a timeline, shoot for five chapters a week. If you read faster or slower than that, no problem! Just make sure to stick to the proper discussion area for where you’re at and we should be okay! So excited to get going! 🙂