Into the Forest discussion

The Treachery of Beautiful Things
This topic is about The Treachery of Beautiful Things
Retellings > The Treachery of Beautiful Things spoiler free

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jalilah | 4336 comments Mod
This is the spoiler free thread is for our March 15-May 14 Gateway/Portal themed group read Young Adult Novel winner The Treachery of Beautiful Things

Okay so I started this morning and can say the lead protagonist Jenny is not running around the forest in a fluffy white strapless ballgown!
The author makes use of a lot of faerie folklore; Jack of the Forest, Robin Goodfellow, Mab, the Woodsman and the Goodwife.
I can see there is going to be some romance eventually but isn't there usually some degree of romance in most fairy tales?

Leah (flying_monkeys) | 1009 comments Lila wrote: "I can see there is going to be some romance eventually but isn't there usually some degree of romance in most fairy tales."

I think the operative word is "degree" and also how it's handled. Instalove vs fleshed out relationship. Love based on substance vs physical attraction alone. Romance in YA is often hit or miss for me. But I also totally acknowledge romance is a subjective experience. Some folks like it in all its variations. Some folks like it only one way. No "right" way - enjoy what you enjoy. :)

My copy just came in at the library, so I now have all the group reads I could get, ready for pickup. Yay! I'll probably start this one first.

Mary Catelli | 864 comments Lila wrote: "The author makes use of a lot of faerie folklore; Jack of the Forest, Robin Goodfellow, Mab, the Woodsman and the Goodwife. "

Going to be more. 0:)

message 5: by Jalilah (last edited Mar 30, 2018 08:26AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

This will be my last comment in this thread and I'll comment again in the spoiler thread once I've finished.
I just want to say that the book does not seem like a romance to me. I can tell there is definitely going to be some kind of love story along the road, but it is not a "romance novel" and should not be shelved as such. There is no " instant love" . The book is clearly inspired by multiple Celtic fairy and folk tales involving fae.

message 6: by Katy (new) - added it

Katy (kathy_h) | 829 comments Nice to know, because the cover looked dubious.

Melanti | 2125 comments Mod
I'm about half done .
I agree on it not being a romance and they really needed a better cover, since it doesn't seem that reflective of the contents so far.

message 8: by Gem (last edited May 28, 2018 11:05AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Gem  | 17 comments Melanti wrote: "I'm about half done .
I agree on it not being a romance and they really needed a better cover, since it doesn't seem that reflective of the contents so far."

I agree on both counts. I almost decided not to read it based on the cover. I'm about half way done and am enjoying it so far, but I'm a sucker for fairy tales in general and those with Celtic influences especially.

message 9: by Kelsey (last edited May 14, 2018 09:28PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kelsey | 84 comments I'm about ten chapters in and just... not feeling this so far. I should really be loving all the folklore and fairy tale stuff, but the writing isn't doing it for me at all.

I can usually forgive a lot in YA writing, since it's the type of book I like to indulgently binge, but nothing about the characters has grabbed me, and the story seems pretty predictable, so I'm having to force myself through this.

Encouragement to continue would be appreciated, since I'm feeling tempted to DNF.

message 10: by Mir (new)

Mir | 70 comments I just checked my friends' reviews and 2/3 didn't finish. The ones who did gave 2 stars.

message 11: by Jalilah (last edited May 14, 2018 01:31PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Miriam wrote: "I just checked my friends' reviews and 2/3 didn't finish. The ones who did gave 2 stars."

Did they say why? For me I had a bias from the cover and the first few chapters seemed to confirm this.

Kelsey wrote: "I'm about ten chapters in and just... not feeling this so far. I should really be loving all the folklore and fairy take stuff, but the writing isn't doing it for me at all.

I can usually forgive ..."

I can understand how you feel! In the beginning it did feel a little contrived and like Jenny was just getting into one problem after the other. Finally I am glad I read to the end. I appreciate all the myths and folklore that were incorporated into the story.

Margaret | 3550 comments Mod
I did like the last half better than the first, but at the same time, I don't think it's a must-read.

message 13: by Mir (new)

Mir | 70 comments Lila wrote: "Miriam wrote: "I just checked my friends' reviews and 2/3 didn't finish. The ones who did gave 2 stars."

Did they say why? For me I had a bias from the cover and the first few chapters seemed to c..."

They seemed to find the MC boring, mostly.

Kelsey | 84 comments I AM enjoying the second half a little better than the first, so I'm glad I kept going, but I still don't think this is going to get a super high rating from me... We'll see.

Margaret | 3550 comments Mod
Kelsey wrote: "I AM enjoying the second half a little better than the first, so I'm glad I kept going, but I still don't think this is going to get a super high rating from me... We'll see."

Looks like we gave it the same rating. :)