Books2Movies Club discussion

The Princess and the Frog
This topic is about The Princess and the Frog
Books2Movies Projects > Animated Films 02.5 - The Princess and the Frog

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 129 comments Mod
There is a wonderful animated movie based on this from Disney and it's quite different to the story in my opinion. How do you think re-adapting short stories by the Brother's Grimm (and when we get onto Hans Christian Anderson later on) changes the meaning and importance of such stories? Please post any and all comments on this story here! :)

message 2: by Book Vamp Jade (new)

Book Vamp Jade Williams (honey01) | 24 comments Well I very much enjoyed the Disney adaptation, also loved that it was in new Orleans. With witch doctors and voodoo instead of fairies and balls.

For me the original story was about keeping promises, being rewarded for good deeds even if you don't realise what the outcome might, helping others and being honest.

The adaptation changed it to a whole new ball game. It became not just about keeping promises, about about family and love. Also that family does not necessarily mean that you have to share the same blood. You can find them in friends along your journey in life. Also that wishing can only take you so far, but you need hard work to achieve your dreams.

Adaptations, well the new ones, can give more meaning to these stories and teach us new things that we take for granted. Times have changed quite a bit and although the old stories can teach us basic truths, the adaptations often bring new plights to light. Like Tangled the adaptation of Rapunzel.

message 3: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) | 129 comments Mod
I definitely agree with you, thanks for making that post!

message 4: by Alana (new)

Alana (alanasbooks) | 730 comments Mod
It's been ages since I read the story, so I don't remember much about the original. I did quite enjoy the Disney one, though rather unconventional, but I think I mostly just like the Louisiana/Cajun music, it was very catchy (and not in an annoying "Let it Go!" kind of way). But I do like the idea of the emphasis of keeping promises, and consequences, whether good or bad, of those promises and subsequent choices.