Play Book Tag discussion

Beartown (Beartown, #1)
This topic is about Beartown
31 views
Archive: Other Books > Beartown - Fredrik Backman - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susie | 4488 comments I don't know what took me so long to get to this book. Several of my book twins have rated it highly, and I think it was on the PBT top ten last year? If it was, it was thoroughly deserved. I really enjoyed Backman's tale of a town obsessed with hockey, his examination of the good, the bad, and the ugly of sporting towns. I don't want to give anything away, but Backman manages to cover various topics with finesse, without bludgeoning the reader over the head. What happens when the golden boy of a team isn't who he appears to be? What will a town do to protect their beloved team? What does friendship, family, and loyalty mean when the game is on the line? Backman cleverly builds a sense of foreboding throughout the novel and I really enjoyed the writing style. It was a departure from his usual topics and style, and for me it showed his versatility and cemented him as an author that is on my must read list.


Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7759 comments ugh, I really need to get to this one. I think I have it on hold on audio at the library. I was just at my RL book club last night and a person there was raving about this.

I also don't know why I am dragging my feet....


Ladyslott | 1880 comments Nicole R wrote: "ugh, I really need to get to this one. I think I have it on hold on audio at the library. I was just at my RL book club last night and a person there was raving about this.

I also don't know why I..."


You do need to get to it, it's a great book.


Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7759 comments Ladyslott wrote: "You do need to get to it, it's a great book. ..."

#11 on 5 audiobooks at the library. I should be getting it in the next month or so!


annapi | 4986 comments I've also been dragging my feet on this, and I love Backman AND hockey! I don't know why I've just not been in the mood for it. But I will definitely be reading it in March since it was my nomination for Jen's March Madness game. LOL and yet I'm starting with Eleanor Oliphant...


Rachel N. | 1472 comments annapi wrote: "I've also been dragging my feet on this, and I love Backman AND hockey! I don't know why I've just not been in the mood for it. But I will definitely be reading it in March since it was my nominati..."

You're starting with my nomination for the March madness challenge :-). I decided to start with The Heart's Invisible Furies because a 570+ page book sounded like a light read :-). Actually it was in my library whereas most of the other books I had to put on hold. Everyone who has been putting it off should definitely read Beartown. It's different from Backman's other books but it definitely stays with you.


message 7: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8545 comments I am also a late reader to this one. Even my 15-year-old son who reads nothing has already read it. I think that’s part of the reason I delayed, it took him like three months to read it. It’s about 4 or five away for me, but that could change as the April plans get clearer, and as libraries start demanding their books back prematurely.


Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5815 comments I just finished the audio today ... 4**** ... review to come.


Kelly | 804 comments I loved this book!


message 10: by Sushicat (new) - added it

Sushicat | 804 comments I read Ove and Brittmarie within a couple of months and felt strong similarities between the two books. This has kept me hesitant about starting Beartown.


Ladyslott | 1880 comments Sushicat wrote: "I read Ove and Brittmarie within a couple of months and felt strong similarities between the two books. This has kept me hesitant about starting Beartown."

Beartown is nothing like the other two books, it's completely different...


Karin | 7018 comments Susie wrote: "I don't know what took me so long to get to this book. Several of my book twins have rated it highly, and I think it was on the PBT top ten last year? If it was, it was thoroughly deserved. I reall..."

I didn't want to give this 5 stars due to the nature of the story, but of course I did because it's one of his two best books IMO (the other being My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry)


Susie | 4488 comments I haven’t read My Grandmother yet Karin. I’ll make it the next one.


message 14: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8545 comments Karin and I loved that one. We both gave it five stars and it almost made my top 10.


message 15: by Karin (last edited Mar 17, 2018 03:28PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Karin | 7018 comments Susie wrote: "I haven’t read My Grandmother yet Karin. I’ll make it the next one."

Just be warned it's very different than any of his other books. I found it on the library new books shelf and read it without having heard a single thing about it. But I really enjoyed it from cover to cover.

That said, GR says Amy and I have 70 percent books in common, which isn't that high, so we're not reading twins :), but we have overlapping tastes.


message 16: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8545 comments Karin that’s exactly how I would characterize us. You said it perfectly!


Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Wonderful book. An alltime favorite.


back to top