Play Book Tag discussion

The Glass Castle
This topic is about The Glass Castle
March 2018: Autobiography > The Glass Castle - Jeannette Walls - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susie | 4488 comments Disclaimer - this review comes from someone who is a non-fiction hater!! I just really don't like it that much! In saying that, The Glass Castle was a four star read for me in the end. It did read like fiction for the most part, and I found the story of Wall's childhood engaging and had to pinch myself to be reminded that this actually happened to someone. It made me think about my perception of homelessness, and it was overall a good read. I did get what I call the non-ficiton blues, which is generally the point where I turf the book and never return to it, about half way through the book due to an absence of plot, but I felt invested enough to move forward and I'm glad that I did.

message 2: by Joi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3782 comments Reading this now and enjoying (as much as you can with the dark themes). I totally agree- it's totally reading like fiction.

LibraryCin | 8120 comments I'm so glad you ended up enjoying it, Susie!

message 4: by Diane (new)

Diane Zwang | 485 comments I still have this one on my list. I saw the movie which I thought was really good.

Linda C (libladynylindac) | 1053 comments I thought this book was beautifully written and read like fiction. But my problem with it was that the first third of the book occurred before she was 7 and I have a hard time believing that anyone can remember that much verbatim.

In contrast, I just read Hillbilly Elegy, where the author refers to incidents from that age as impressions, gives incidents as a synopsis of the event or refers to them as being told to him by someone else. A much more believable scenario.

My hang-up with memoir.

Jason Oliver | 2063 comments Susie wrote: "Disclaimer - this review comes from someone who is a non-fiction hater!! I just really don't like it that much! In saying that, The Glass Castle was a four star read for me in the end. It did read ..."

Loved this book and agree with you that it changed my perception of homeless people. I grew up with the image the people are lazy, using the money for booze, or are really raking the in money and live better than most working people. I was already working my way away from that idea but this book really confirmed that each case is different.