Play Book Tag discussion

An American Marriage
This topic is about An American Marriage
Archive: Other Books > An American Marriage - Tayari Jones - 2.5 stars rounded to 3

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susie | 4488 comments I had high hopes for this book after see the buzz that arose from Oprah choosing it for her book club. Unfortunately it didn't meet my expectations and I again found myself wondering if I was reading the wrong book. I listened to the audio and while the performances were fine, the story itself didn't ring my bell. I despised the central characters, and while this isn't always a negaitve for me, in this book it was. I found the plot to be soap opera-esque, and I found myself constantly eye rolling. I didn't think there was anything particularly startling about the writing, although that can at times be lost in audio. I don't think I would have liked it any more had I read the print copy, though. All up it just wasn't my kind of book, but many others have enjoyed it so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

message 2: by Nicole R (last edited Mar 15, 2018 05:30AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7782 comments Noooo!!! I really thought that you would like this one more.

I wonder if your not being American took away from the message? Do you have similar criminal justice issues in Australia?

I just felt so invested in the story and the struggle because mass incarceration and the disproportionate impact on young, black men is a major social issue right now.

I thought that, while neither of the main characters would have probably been my friend in real life, they illustrated how even an innocent conviction can rip a couple apart.

I loved her dad and how he embodied the mentality of the culture at large, but failed to see his daughter as an individual who was personally struggling with this situation.

I loved how the author depicted how the world changes while someone is in prison, even though that inmate's relationship with the world is almost stuck in time.

I was simply captivated by the story, the emotions that were not always noble but were realistic, and the feeling that things change whether we want them to or not.

But, I am sorry you did not like it more. Especially because I feel like you picked it up because I raved about it!