2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

Big Little Lies
This topic is about Big Little Lies
ARCHIVE 2018 > Big Little Lies: General Discussion *Spoiler Free*

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Winter, Group Reads (last edited Apr 16, 2018 12:42AM) (new)

Winter (winter9) | 4554 comments Our April read will be Big Little Lies by Liane Moriarty

Big Little Lies follows three women, each at a crossroads:

Madeline is a force to be reckoned with. She’s funny and biting, passionate, she remembers everything and forgives no one. Her ex-husband and his yogi new wife have moved into her beloved beachside community, and their daughter is in the same kindergarten class as Madeline’s youngest (how is this possible?). And to top it all off, Madeline’s teenage daughter seems to be choosing Madeline’s ex-husband over her. (How. Is. This. Possible?).

Celeste is the kind of beautiful woman who makes the world stop and stare. While she may seem a bit flustered at times, who wouldn’t be, with those rambunctious twin boys? Now that the boys are starting school, Celeste and her husband look set to become the king and queen of the school parent body. But royalty often comes at a price, and Celeste is grappling with how much more she is willing to pay.

New to town, single mom Jane is so young that another mother mistakes her for the nanny. Jane is sad beyond her years and harbors secret doubts about her son. But why? While Madeline and Celeste soon take Jane under their wing, none of them realizes how the arrival of Jane and her inscrutable little boy will affect them all.

Big Little Lies is a brilliant take on ex-husbands and second wives, mothers and daughters, schoolyard scandal, and the dangerous little lies we tell ourselves just to survive.

Dania will be our discussion leader, thank you!

Kate Awesome! This has been on my shelf for awhile now.

message 3: by Lynn (new) - added it

Lynn | 297 comments I hope to be able to read this. It's on my TBR shelf collecting dust but I do have so many other books to read in April too. *crossing fingers I can join in the discussion*

Jennifer | 95 comments Bought it and looking forward to joining in. It's been a long time since I've done a group read.

message 5: by Savannah (new)

Savannah | 232 comments I actually wasn't too interested when I first saw this book, but if I can get it from my library in time, then I will go ahead and try it out!

Dania (frenchiestfry) | 70 comments Hi everyone!

I'm super excited to read this book with you guys. Have any of you watched the TV series? I haven't, so I'm going into this completely blind and hopefully the twists will catch me off guard!

message 7: by Lynn (new) - added it

Lynn | 297 comments Dania wrote: "Hi everyone!

I'm super excited to read this book with you guys. Have any of you watched the TV series? I haven't, so I'm going into this completely blind and hopefully the twists will catch me of..."

I've never seen the TV series or read the book but I hear both are fabulous and very addicting lol

message 8: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather Dufield | 79 comments i bought my copy yesterday, hope to start it this week.

Kristy Johnston | 258 comments I have a few books left to finish up for March but I should be able to get to this one, hopefully, sometime next week. Can't wait to join in the discussion. I've been wanting to read this book then watch the series but I needed some motivation!

message 10: by Kate (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kate Kristy wrote: "I have a few books left to finish up for March but I should be able to get to this one, hopefully, sometime next week. Can't wait to join in the discussion. I've been wanting to read this book then..."

I'm in the same boat. I'm only a couple chapters in but really enjoying it so far.

message 11: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new) - rated it 5 stars

SarahKat | 2669 comments I bought this at a thrift store so I am planning on reading it, but I'm trying to finish a library book first.

Sally | 102 comments I have just downloaded this book, so will be joining you all. Thanks for having me.

message 13: by Milena (new) - added it

Milena | 14 comments It has been on my kindle for some time now so great it is this month read. Also, I believe the book is set in Australia and I am flying to Sydney this weekend! What's better opportunity than that? :)

Loulou | 21 comments I read the book first then watched the series. They’re both great but the book is SO much better! It’s a very quick read! Happy reading :)

Dania (frenchiestfry) | 70 comments Milena wrote: "It has been on my kindle for some time now so great it is this month read. Also, I believe the book is set in Australia and I am flying to Sydney this weekend! What's better opportunity than that? :)"

That's great! I live in Sydney, I hope you'll enjoy your weekend here :D It gives sort of an ~ambience~ to know that you're in the same setting hahaha

message 16: by Savannah (new)

Savannah | 232 comments I started reading this and found it's not really my type of book, maybe I'll pick it up another day and try it.

message 17: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather Dufield | 79 comments 3/4 of the way done. I really like it, might have to check out some more of this author's work.

Dianne (dianne1) | 234 comments I'm trying to figure out just why I didn't think this book was as wonderful as everyone else thinks it is ---is it because I am much older than these women? Less privileged? Because I have no children? I did find that the lead up to what happened, who was murdered and by who was wonderful and my curiosity sure kept me reading.

Harshmi | 94 comments I just started reading it yesterday. So far I'm loving it. Its nicely paced. I'm only at chapter 11 for now but I'm sure I'll be devouring it this weekend when I actually get uninterrupted time to read!

message 20: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather Dufield | 79 comments Dianne wrote: "I'm trying to figure out just why I didn't think this book was as wonderful as everyone else thinks it is ---is it because I am much older than these women? Less privileged? Because I have no child..."

I can't really relate to the politics of all parents and people trying to be so politically correct like not having cupcakes for snacks and petitions for kicking a bully out of class. A lot of this seemed over the top. I don't have children maybe schools are like this?

I felt a connection to the characters, because they all had flaws and esteem issues and that to me makes them more interesting.

Kristy Johnston | 258 comments I'm about 1/4 of the way through and I know that this book came first but the writing style strikes me as similar to Little Fires Everywhere.