Agatha Christie Lovers discussion

General > Best Christie Screen Adaptations

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Arthur (new)

Arthur Pierce | 20 comments I'd be curious to hear what fellow Agatha Christie enthusiasts think are the best screen adaptations of her works, either for TV or the Cinema.

message 2: by Sue (new)

Sue (mrskipling) My favourite Miss Marple was Joan Hickson. She was the most similar to the Miss Marple of my imagination I suppose. My favourite AC book is Murder at the Vicarage so JH doing that one would get my vote! I see it's available on Vimeo here
https://vimeo.com/99198385
(I'm curious as to how they can put the full movie up like that without copyright issues??)

Poirot is always David Suchet to me. Has anyone read Poirot and Me? I listened to him reading it himself and thoroughly enjoyed it - my review is here
https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...
I'm not sure which one I'd pick as my favourite though.

I have a plan to read each AC book in order and watch screen adaptations for each as I go along, so I'd love to see who else responds to your question. (This is a long-term plan obviously!!)
What about you Arthur - any favourites?

message 3: by Dinou (new)

Dinou R | 10 comments My favourite Poirot has always been David Suchet but strangely my favourite screen adaptation has always been Murder on the Orient Express (Hercule Poirot, #10) by Agatha Christie closely followed by Death on the Nile (Hercule Poirot #17) by Agatha Christie ... I know, not logical.

message 4: by Arthur (new)

Arthur Pierce | 20 comments I do like David Suchet's Poirot very much, but I'm not always thrilled by the adaptations. I have seen maybe a quarter of them only, but amongst them have been some real duds like MYSTERY OF THE BLUE TRAIN and THE BIG FOR. Mostly I think I like the adaptations of the short stories best, though PERIL AT END HOUSE was well-done.
Pretty much have the same feelings about Joan Hickson's Miss Marple, although I've only seen two of those so far.
As far as movies go, AND THEN THERE WERE NONE (1945) is my favorite. Very stylish and Christiesque. (I don't mind that it's based more on the play than the movie.) WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION (1957) is also excellent. I finally saw one of the Margaret Miss Marples a few months ago. (The first, MURDER, SHE SAID.) I was prepared to dislike it, but found it quite entertaining. I think the trick is to decide right at the outset that Miss Rutherford is NOT in any way, shape or form Agatha Christie's Miss Marple. I saw the 1974 MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS years ago and don't really remember it, so I'm going to have to see it again.

message 5: by Dinou (new)

Dinou R | 10 comments I have to agree with you about Suchet’s full length movies screen adaptations (except for « Hercule Poirot’s Christmas » which is one of my favourites). As far as Joan Hickson’s concerned I simply loved her in « A Caribbean Mystery ». Strangely enough I remember having read (a long time ago) that Agatha Christie thought that Margareth Rutherford was « the real » Miss Marple. Not for me. She was scary in « Witness for the prosecution »

message 6: by shanghao (new)

shanghao (sanshow) | 38 comments David Suchet’s Poirot is pretty much the closest translation to screen you could get for me.

I liked the way they adapted Five Little Pigs; it wasn’t flawless but the casting was spot on and the music, setting, mood and lighting were delectable.

My favourite Poirot adaptation strangely enough was Ustinov’s Evil Under the Sun, perhaps because it’s the first Christie adaptation I’ve watched and it was entertaining with a gorgeous location setting, in fact all the Ustinov adaptations were.

Ditto for Miss Marple adaptations, for me Joan Hickson gave the most faithful version of Marple but I thoroughly enjoyed the Margaret Rutherford films.

I haven’t quite watched And Then There Were None, have heard good things about it.

message 7: by Dinou (new)

Dinou R | 10 comments Ustinov’s Evil under the sun was great! Loved his arrival on the island... if I’m not mistaken the ending of And Then There Were None was not quite right (according to the novel) but then it’s been a while so I may be wrong.

message 8: by Arthur (new)

Arthur Pierce | 20 comments Dinou wrote: "Ustinov’s Evil under the sun was great! Loved his arrival on the island... if I’m not mistaken the ending of And Then There Were None was not quite right (according to the novel) but then it’s been..."

It's the ending of the play, not the novel. Have to have happy endings in Hollywood, you know!

message 9: by Arthur (new)

Arthur Pierce | 20 comments Dinou wrote: "I have to agree with you about Suchet’s full length movies screen adaptations (except for « Hercule Poirot’s Christmas » which is one of my favourites). As far as Joan Hickson’s concerned I simply ..."

I understood just that opposite about Agatha Christie's attitude towards Margaret Rutherford; that she respected her as an actress (she dedicated a book to her) but was not pleased with her being cast as Miss Marple.

message 10: by Maximilian (new)

Maximilian Birner | 25 comments I think a screen adaptation of Ordeal By Innocence just came out on Sunday from BBC. I live in America but did anyone like it? I am so excited when it comes out.

message 11: by Esther (last edited Apr 03, 2018 10:27PM) (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 47 comments I love Joan Hickson as Miss Marple and in a way she has spoiled all other adaptations for me because no one else can compare.
I remember seeing a Margaret Rutherford Marple when I was quite young and had just started reading Agatha Christie - I was horrified!

Although I think Davud Suchet is excellent and the most faithful adapation of Poirot (though lacking a little humour as I realise now I am rereading the books) I must admit that my favourite Poirot is Peter Ustinov and my favourite film is Death on the Nile, maybe because I love Egyptology.

Another favourite film is the 1982 Witness for the Prosecution. It isn't a very faithful adaptation but I love Diana Rigg and she is fantastic.

message 12: by Maggie (new)

Maggie Holmes | 30 comments I have been rewatching my Christie collection (as a way of avoiding the news - I live in USA) and really didn't like the Suchet version of Mysterious Affairs at Styles. Poirot was collecting evidence and putting it into bags! That's my idea of Poirot at all. The ABC Murders was much better: he came to the conclusions all by listening and thinking.
Yes, I vote for Hickson. I have that collection as well. Pocketful of Rye is wonderful.

message 13: by Arthur (new)

Arthur Pierce | 20 comments I agree about both of the Suchet Poirots you mention. I just saw THE ABC MURDERS and thought it one of the best of the longer episodes.

message 14: by Terri (last edited Aug 23, 2018 11:38AM) (new)

Terri Barnes | 21 comments Totally agree that Joan Hickson IS Miss Marple. The same for David Suchet and Hercule Poirot. Their portrayals are very good, though Hickson's Miss Marple is not quite as dithery as portrayed by AC. The Poirot series is certainly more beautiful to look at than Hickson's Marple series.
Favorites are many of those named above, Hercule Poirot's Christmas, ABC Murders, Murder at the Vicarage, etc., The Yellow Iris.
Although it is dark, I think Suchet's Murder on the Orient Express is the best of all the adaptations I've seen. Albert Finney was too comic for me, and as for Kenneth Brannagh, his actions scenes, and his mustache ... shudder ...

message 15: by Christophe (new)

Christophe Van | 3 comments My favorite of the Suchet adaptations is Five Little Pigs. Beautiful characters, beautiful photography, great plot, emotionally engaging story with a gut punch. I liked the Suchet adaptation of The ABC Murders very much as well, but think that Five Little Pigs is in a league of its own.

message 16: by Terri (new)

Terri Barnes | 21 comments A few years ago, I saw a couple of the Miss Marple series starring Geraldine McEwan I was disappointed in all the episodes I saw, then I quit watching. McEwan looks like she could be Miss Marple, but her backstory "revelations" in Murder at the Vicarage about having had a wartime affair with a married man ... completely out of character for her.
Julia McKenzie is even more Marple-esque, but for some strange reason, that series includes The Secret of Chimneys and Endless Night, where Miss Marple was shoehorned into AC stories where she didn't appear, making hay of the plot. These are decidedly not Marple stories centered on village life.

LovesMysteries  | 52 comments Christophe wrote: "My favorite of the Suchet adaptations is Five Little Pigs. Beautiful characters, beautiful photography, great plot, emotionally engaging story with a gut punch. I liked the Suchet adaptation of The..."

Five Little Pigs was a beautifully filmed episode with a heart moving musical score and being overall faithful to the book, with a few exceptions, but it doesn't get in the way of Christie's ingenious plot, and it adds more pathos to the story.

My favorite Suchet adaptations are of course Five Little Pigs, The ABC Murders, After the Funeral, Hercule Poirot's Christmas -- just a few to name.