Linda Howard Book Junkies discussion

Match Me If You Can (Chicago Stars, #6)
This topic is about Match Me If You Can
Non-Linda Books of the Month > March 2018 BOTM Match Me if You Can by Susan Elizabeth Phillips

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments You met quarterback Kevin Tucker in Nobody's Baby but Mine. Now get ready to meet his shark of an agent, Heath Champion, and Annabelle Granger, the girl least likely to succeed.

Annabelle's endured dead-end jobs, a broken engagement . . . even her hair's a mess! But that's going to change now that she's taken over her late grandmother's matchmaking business. All Annabelle has to do is land the Windy City's hottest bachelor as her client, and she'll be the most sought-after matchmaker in town.

Why does the wealthy, driven, and gorgeous sports agent Heath Champion need a matchmaker, especially a red-haired screw-up like Annabelle Granger? True, she's entertaining, and she does have a certain quirky appeal. But Heath is searching for the ultimate symbol of success -- the perfect wife. And to make an extraordinary match, he needs an extraordinary matchmaker, right?

Soon everyone in Chicago has a stake in the outcome, and a very big question: When the determined matchmaker promised she'd do anything to keep her star client happy . . . did she mean anything? If Annabelle isn't careful, she just might find herself going heart-to-heart with the toughest negotiator in town.

message 2: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I love this book

message 3: by Wanda (new)

Wanda Hamad | 144 comments Dee wrote: "I love this book"

Me too! Love all the Chicago Stars books.

message 4: by Eve (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments I also love Chicago Stars series...there's something addictive about SEP's writing style. Look forward rereading it.

Janeiowa | 4927 comments Count me in on loving the fun, humor, and characters in this one!

message 6: by Eve (last edited Mar 17, 2018 12:04PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Okay, I am reading Match Me if You Can.
May I say how much I hate Portia :) Things she made her employees do...yet, in the end I warmed up to her and it was great to see her unloose her tight grip. Love it when secondary characters are as much fun to follow as the main characters. Pippi and her facination of phones ... It was hilarious how she kept on stealing Heath's cellphones (or should his parents be worried by her "hobby"?).
Like Jane said the fun, humor, and characters...I'm loving it. SEP's books always manage to lift my spirits.
I'm also loving that SEP's characters are unique, with insecurities and flaws, yet, lovable, determined, quirky, amusing and trying to find themselves. Loved how Annabelle's and Heath's relationship developed. It was hard for Annabelle to live with her overachieving family and its both funny and sad how things that irritate one person can be things that other person has always wanted to have.

message 7: by Dee (last edited Mar 18, 2018 10:31AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Portia reminds me of some people I know that have to put on a front in order to protect themselves from how vulnerable they are. I guess that is why I love SEP because I can see the human in her characters

message 8: by Eve (last edited Mar 19, 2018 12:03AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments Dee you are right -- SEP writes characters that are human, they have good and bad sides, just like we all have. And I like that her characters may at first seem like evil bitches (Portia), but they can change and show that they have softer side in them, too.
Portia is responsible for one of the most hilarious scenes in this tale ((view spoiler)).
Molly and Kevin's three-year-old daughter, Pippi, was another adorable character worthy of mentioning. I loved when Heath said she "will be in prison before she makes it to first grade." Pippi is a scene stealer for sure.

Marika | 78 comments I read this book first time 2 years ago and it was fun to reading it again.
SEP has really good and engaging writing style, she comes up with unique characters that does have a certain quirky appeal. I've discovered fondness for not-so-perfect characters thanks to her.
I also love that she gives enough time for the main characters to fall in love. No falling-in love within a couple of days for her characters. And that is very good thing and more believable.

message 10: by Dee (last edited Mar 19, 2018 03:07AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Eve wrote: "Dee you are right -- SEP writes characters that are human, they have good and bad sides, just like we all have. And I like that her characters may at first seem like evil bitches (Portia), but they..."

That scene reminds me so much something my sister said happened to her. It was a day or two before Thanksgiving, my sister was suppose bring part of the meal, anyway she did something to her hair and it turned i think grey (she wouldn't be seen dead in. ) Being that it was a holiday she couldn't do anything about it. She pulled cough cough sick card. ROTFLMAO

message 11: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments Marika wrote: "I read this book first time 2 years ago and it was fun to reading it again.
SEP has really good and engaging writing style, she comes up with unique characters that does have a certain quirky appe..."

i so agree with you. I hate the stories, even novellas, where it is love at first sight.

message 12: by Eve (last edited Mar 19, 2018 11:13PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eve (everf) | 816 comments I think its always very good when authors allow her characters to fall in love first. A&H were not perfect but they find themselves and learn to love and trust. Especially Heath had trust issues because all women in his past walked away without second glance and he was afraid to trust in a woman again.
And its quite often that in romance books, we see that the main characters have no chemistry, non at all, yet, they instantly jump into bed and then we get lots and lots of sex but no relationship development These two are loaded with chemistry, and it was beautiful to watch how their relationship grows over the months!
Ahh, another thing to add was the way we learned about H&A's pasts -- it was very smoothly and well done. I hate long & detailed flashbacks that interrups present day events and spoil enjoyment of current storyline (in this one we got everything we needed to kno without too much detailed information).

message 13: by Dee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 7583 comments I have read this book and i loved it. I have the book on hold and it will be there by Saturday. I know I have the audio tape, but I can't find it. So...