Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8332 comments

message 2: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1897 comments Henry VIII?

message 3: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8332 comments Ruth wrote: "Henry VIII?"

Good job, Ruth! I noticed it is kind of written at the top in..French? Latin?

message 4: by Ruth (new)

Ruth | 1897 comments Heather wrote: "Ruth wrote: "Henry VIII?"

Good job, Ruth! I noticed it is kind of written at the top in..French? Latin?"

You’ve better eyes than I have!

message 5: by Pete (new)

Pete daPixie | 52 comments Any idea on the artist & when it was done?

message 6: by Ruth (last edited Mar 15, 2018 10:54AM) (new)

Ruth | 1897 comments I’d guess it’s Northern European, 1500s.

message 7: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) | 0 comments (It's Latin. :D)

Looks German to me - but I agree, Northern European, and contemporary to 'Enry the Eighth.

message 8: by Geoffrey (new)

Geoffrey Aronson (geaaronson) | 930 comments Durer? Holbein?

message 9: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8332 comments Pete wrote: "Any idea on the artist & when it was done?"

I didn't get the name of the artist, this picture was found in a book and didn't mention the artist. I'm sorry I didn't paste the link.

message 10: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8332 comments Geoffrey wrote: "Durer? Holbein?"

I would think Durer is a good guess...

message 11: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) | 0 comments Google Image search works! (Sometimes....) This is: King Henry VIII (Henricus VIII Dei Gratia Angliæ Rex Fidei Defensor) by Cornelis Metsys (Massys) (Massijs) (Make up your mind, man) - (1508, Antwerp – c. 1556, unknown) - this lovely fellow is a line engraving, c. 1545, held at the British Museum if I'm reading right.

message 12: by Pete (new)

Pete daPixie | 52 comments Tracey wrote: "Google Image search works! (Sometimes....) This is: King Henry VIII (Henricus VIII Dei Gratia Angliæ Rex Fidei Defensor) by Cornelis Metsys (Massys) (Massijs) (Make up your mind, man) - (1508, Antw..."Nice one Tracy. 1545, just a year or so before old 'Enry popped his clogs. Maybe National Portrait Gallery.

message 13: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8332 comments Tracey wrote: "Google Image search works! (Sometimes....) This is: King Henry VIII (Henricus VIII Dei Gratia Angliæ Rex Fidei Defensor) by Cornelis Metsys (Massys) (Massijs) (Make up your mind, man) - (1508, Antw..."

I am very impressed, Tracey! Thank you for doing the homework! I guess I'm not as adept at Google Image search (actually, the thought didn't occur to me to do that). Thank you for the updated information! Good to know.

message 14: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8332 comments Pete wrote: "Nice one Tracy. 1545, just a year or so before old 'Enry popped his clogs. Maybe National Portrait Gallery. "

Good to hear from you, Pete!

message 15: by Tracey (new)

Tracey (stewartry) | 0 comments Heather wrote: "Google Image search ..."

Sometimes, if you're lucky, you can drag a picture from one webpage to the Google Image search bar and get a result. (Sometimes not...)

message 16: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8332 comments Tracey wrote: "Heather wrote: "Google Image search ..."

Sometimes, if you're lucky, you can drag a picture from one webpage to the Google Image search bar and get a result. (Sometimes not...)"

Oh! I didn't even know you could do that. I'll have to try that sometime. Thank you, Tracey!

message 17: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8332 comments

(view spoiler)

message 18: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8332 comments

(view spoiler)

message 19: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 116 comments Are we guessing artist or subject. The dandy fellow above is George Washington, painted by good friend Charles Peale. 1779-81. The other is Matisse and is a portrait of his wife done in 1913. I love this period for Matisse--he was playing with Cubist ideas and melding them with his approach to color and structure.

message 20: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8332 comments Great job Ellen! Even with some history!

I really like Matisse in general I didn’t know he dabbled in cubism, what are some examples of work he did during that time? I guess I could just look up his works... just wondering if you had any favorites for suggestion?

message 21: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8332 comments Well artist OR subject, you got both! So, you’ve pretty much covered it! Thank you!

message 22: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 116 comments I really like Matisse in general I didn’t know he dabbled in cubism, what are some examples of work he did during that time? I guess I could just look up h..."

For me, the invention of modernism in the 20th century is a sort of tripod with Picasso (form), Matisse (color) and Kandinsky (abstraction) as supports. Matisse and Picasso were formally introduced (probably) at one of the Salons hosted by Gertrude Stein and her brothers Michael and Leo at her home in Paris. By 1906 (the year of "Bonheur de Vie") Matisse was regarded as the leader of the modernists; Picasso wasn't going to accept that and in July 1907 completed his famous "Demoiselles d'Avignon." From then until Matisse's death in 1954 they were sort of friends, definitely competitors, really the two premier artists of the age. MoMA did a terrific show a few years back called Picasso/Matisse that explored their evolution in terms of this competition. (I thought the premise was powerful until about 1930, kinda iffy after that.) At any rate, Cubism was all the rage among many/most of the young modernists from about 1910 or 1911 through the beginning of WWI. Matisse begins to explore ideas, he fragments planes, offers a sense of shifting viewpoints by 1912. (Picasso and Matisse also traded works so they were living with each other's ideas.) On the other hand, Matisse was also the great devotee of Cezanne and many of these ideas began with his study of that artist. (And he owned a Cezanne, "Three Bathers," which he valued beyond rubies.

message 23: by Heather, Moderator (new)

Heather | 8332 comments Ellen wrote: "For me, the invention of modernism i..."

That's really interesting, Ellen. I would love to be in your class!