Beta Reader Group discussion

Authors Seeking FREE Betas > 57K Middle Grade Fantasy

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sharon (last edited Mar 14, 2018 06:02PM) (new)

Sharon | 4 comments I've been a technical writer for ten years, but now I'm giving creative writing a try. It's definitely different... would be great to have someone look over my book and give me their opinion. Looking for honest yet gentle feedback. I've had a lot of fun writing this and hope it's fun to read!

A little about the book:

On enchanted islands across the globe, wizards live in secret, separated from the normal world except by traveling through the Waykeeper's caves. The main characters, Troy and Carter, attend school there, taking both magic and normal classes (Troy can't stand English!).

Many years ago, the portal to Ionaly, the world that is the source of all magic, was wide open. Human wizards mixed with elves, unicorns, and other magical creatures. However, the elf king, in a fit of anger after failing to recover something precious stolen from him by a human, sealed the portal with a door that can only be opened with three special keys.

Now, magic is weakening. When it finally shows signs of failing completely, the wizard leaders decide the islands must be evacuated. Instead of accepting that fate, Troy and Carter go after one of the keys, which awaits at the end of a challenge designed by the elves. No wizard has ever returned from the challenge before, but none of them had noticed the loophole. The rules did not say anything about only one person entering at a time.

Troy and Carter, along with their best friends, Ivey and Annabelle, risk their lives and attempt the challenge to win the first of the three keys.

If this sounds at all interesting to you, let me know!

Thank you!!

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1 comments Hi, happy to have a read, though I should warn it may take a few weeks.

message 3: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 4 comments Great! There's no rush. I'm not on a deadline. :) Shoot me an email when you're ready. Starsharonna@yahoo.com

Thanks!

message 4: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 2 comments Hi Sharon, I'd be happy to give it a read too. Are you looking for feedback on any element(s) in particular?

message 5: by Sharon (new)

Sharon | 4 comments Jenn wrote: "Hi Sharon, I'd be happy to give it a read too. Are you looking for feedback on any element(s) in particular?"

Hi! I would like opinions on the overall appeal, pacing, clarity, and flow of the novel. If possible, I would also like opinions on the characters' motivations, dialogue, and interactions. However, I understand that someone doing this for free is doing me a favor (a really appreciated one). If I had one question to be answered, it would be: Where did you get bored?

If this sounds okay to you, let me know! :) starsharonna@yahoo.com

message 6: by Jenn (new)

Jenn | 2 comments Sharon, sounds good, I sent you an email ;)