Reading Envy Readers discussion

Readalong: To the Bright Edge... > Week 2 (March 11-17): pgs. 118-206

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 992 comments Mod
All of this discussion could be spoilers if you haven’t read this far!

1. What about the ravens and geese?
2. The arrangement of Allen's journal and Sophie's diary in date order sets it up like a shared story except they are both so alone in what they’re going through. Thoughts on any of that?
3. Some of the periphery characters surrounding the expedition are starting to interest me. The woman traveling with them seems to be revealing her story gradually, and I can’t help but think it’s gong to matter. The Old Man is unnerving. (Please say that was lamb.)

On a personal note, growing up in Oregon, we had class trips and family trips to Fort Vancouver. Kinda cool to be able to see that in my head (they used to do historical reenactments.)

message 2: by Jeff (new)

Jeff (jeff_koeppen) | 176 comments The Old Man up in a tree, far ahead of the expedition, and possibly the subject of a legend dating back 100 years before the expedition? Was he also the raven tapping on Sophie’s window? He IS unnerving.

message 3: by Andrew (new)

Andrew | 59 comments As I posted on litsy I am past the scheduled week 2 stop so some things do get disclosed however;
I was very unsure about the diary entry that referred to place with longitude entries and a diagram of a knife. I thought it was the spirit of the countryside!
I love the old man character , I feel that he is the antithesis of the Americans seeking to discover and eventually develop and rob the land of its natural resources.
I keep having to track the incident with the raven and events in Sophie's life with what is happening on the Wolverine. Again there are things that happen as we read on that create an even more magical feel.
I also am enjoying the peripheral characters Tillman and Pruitt and the ladies around Sophie and her maid.

It definitely brilliantly evokes place and I'd love to visit the area one day and the sense of magic being associated with the land and the native peoples is compelling.
My only problem is staggering the read- I'm also reading Swing Time at the moment and not enjoying it as much as this read.

message 4: by Elizabeth☮ (new)

Elizabeth☮  | 250 comments I think the separate narratives indicate a way of keeping connected with one another through personal thoughts and engaging in the very different worlds that Allen and Sophie are experiencing.

This way when they are reunited, there is a chronicle of what happened while the other was away. The journal becomes a testimony of life without the other person. But, in a way, it speaks to the bond between the two characters.

Does that make sense?

message 5: by Casey (new)

Casey | 96 comments 1. It's so obvious that it's just frustrating.
2. I like this because it requires the reader to do a little heavy lifting rather than just open our mouths and swallow like good little birds.
3. Ha! Sure, it was lamb... sure :) Just like it's normal for evergreens to birth babies with such blood and umbilical out from not but roots and duff.
I agree, the woman with the otter pelt is interesting, so too is the dog.
As for the old man, he is what he is... and we all know what that is.

message 6: by Carol Ann (new)

Carol Ann (carolann1428) | 47 comments So very interesting and for me, so many, many questions. I wish things were as obvious for me but they aren't. I'm a hungry little bird - feed me! : )

message 7: by Casey (new)

Casey | 96 comments Carol Ann wrote: "I'm a hungry little bird - feed me! : )"

Ha! :)