What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Children's book 2007 - children break into abandoned house, dad is a policeman, running an illegal business in the basement but turns out to be haunted?

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by katie (new)

katie | 1 comments I've been looking for this book for years and never found it!!! It's a children's book, we read it at school in 2006/7 when I was 10 or 11, this was in the UK but I'm not sure if it was a British author or when it was published.

From what I remember, there were two children (on bikes?) who saw an old/abandoned house and wanted to find out what was in it (not sure if there were lights or noises coming from it?). I think one of their dads was a policeman and forbade them from going into the house, but they didn't anyway. I definitely remember a scene where they had to hide in the bedroom (possibly under the bed/in the wardrobe) because the dad came to look around as the police were investigating it for some reason? I'm pretty sure the children initially thought it was haunted.

I think there was a scene where theywent down to the basement and had to hide, and eventually it turned out there was an illegal factory or something like that operating there and the people were just criminals? And it all got exposed and the men got arrested and taken away. But I vividly remember the last scene because it terrified me for weeks - the policeman/dad was angry with them but glad they were ok and they got in the car to drive home, but as they drove away one of the children turned back to look at the house and saw a figure waving from the window even though everyone had supposedly been arrested? So they presumed it was in fact haunted all along and they never dared go back.

I could be remembering things wrong but I'm sure that's what happened and it's been driving me mad for years, I really hope someone can help!!

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 38140 comments Mod
Katie, are you still looking for this or did you find it?