Georgette Heyer Fans discussion

Heyer in General > Heyer Covers thread

Comments Showing 1-50 of 78 (78 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (last edited Mar 14, 2018 03:30PM) (new)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂  | 4369 comments Mod
Hi everyone. I had a (mild) complaint that The Corinthian discussion had turned into a covers discussion so I thought it might be good to give covers their own thread.

Which is your all time favourite cover? it's a tie for me, & they are both old hardback covers.

Lady of Quality by Georgette Heyer and Frederica by Georgette Heyer . I'll have to give the worst Heyer cover some thought.

I found this site which has some covers beautifully displayed http://www.janetogeorgette.com/evolut...

message 2: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Critterbee❇ (critterbee) | 2656 comments Mod
Ah, I love that Frederica cover with the balloon!

message 3: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

❇Critterbee wrote: "Ah, I love that Frederica cover with the balloon!"

If I ever see a copy in good condition I may buy it. *Smirk* I may have mentioned I own the LoQ one.

message 4: by Susan in NC (last edited Mar 14, 2018 04:25PM) (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3583 comments I love that Lady of Quality cover because I found that edition at a church book sale years ago! I love the art work!

I like the Arrow and Dutton covers best, I think. I haven’t seen those new Sourcebook covers but agree, they look too juvenile.

message 5: by Critterbee❇ (new)

I do not like those Arrow 2013 covers, not at all. They feel so aloof, impersonal.
The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer Regency Buck by Georgette Heyer Frederica by Georgette Heyer

The Bodley Head/E.P. Dutton & Co. 1960/70s series are beautiful,
Sylvester, or the Wicked Uncle by Georgette Heyer April Lady by Georgette Heyer Venetia by Georgette Heyer

and the Pan 1964 covers are cute, and feature a scene from the story.
Cotillion by Georgette Heyer Arabella by Georgette Heyer

Love this one:
An Infamous Army by Georgette Heyer

My fav so far might be
The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer

message 6: by Barb in Maryland (last edited Mar 14, 2018 08:33PM) (new)

Barb in Maryland | 695 comments I promised Carol(Madam Mod) that if she set up a cover thread, I would copy over some of the links from the 'Corinthian' thread--so here goes:
Here's the 1967 Bantam cover:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7...
Here's Belinda's 1970 Bantam cover:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...
And another Bantam cover, from the late '70s:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...
Then we get the Pan covers that feature Lydia (!!!) rather than Pen:
and
As Kim so reminded us--Pen spends the whole book dressed as a boy, so all those 'new' covers that feature a demurely dressed young lady (hello, Sourcebooks and Arrow) aren't really true to the book.

message 7: by Barb in Maryland (last edited Mar 14, 2018 08:42PM) (new)

Barb in Maryland | 695 comments Continuing, with links to other GH titles:
Ace books did some really bad covers in the '50s-'60s:
This one for April Lady:
This one for Sylvester:
Comments on this remarked that the model looked like Doris Day and the hat looked like an upside-down flower pot--so not Phoebe!
One more example--Venetia :
Is she really standing in front of a southern US ante-bellum era mansion?
And then there are the covers by Charles Geer for a half-dozen or so GH titles--all very soft, and so almost gothic.:
See here for a portfolio: https://tinyurl.com/y9v37j8a
When you get to that page, click the green button marked 'Heyer' and it will sort the images to put the 6 GH covers he did at the top. Have fun!
Note: further on in that particular portfolio you will see GH titles by a different cover artist for Signet editions from the '80's and '90s--also interesting.
Check out Pinterest as well for a number of boards devoted to GH book covers. Here's one to get you started:
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/29484...

message 8: by Margaret (new)

Margaret | 533 comments I've always had kind of a soft spot for the Charles Geer covers, which I think of as "Impressionist" style. They may not always be the most accurate to the story, but they have a certain sparkle and liveliness to them.

Barb in Maryland | 695 comments Margaret wrote: "I've always had kind of a soft spot for the Charles Geer covers, which I think of as "Impressionist" style. They may not always be the most accurate to the story, but they have a certain sparkle an..."

Oh yes, I love so many of his covers--he did covers for Mary Stewart and Barbara Michaels as well as several other romance authors of that era. His style is so recognizable.

message 10: by Moloch (last edited Mar 15, 2018 08:45AM) (new)

Moloch | 203 comments Just because I started with this Cotillion by Georgette Heyer now I try to stick with this "line" of covers ( The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer Sylvester or The Wicked Uncle by Georgette Heyer The Convenient Marriage by Georgette Heyer These Old Shades (Alastair, #1) by Georgette Heyer ), but only just because it would bother me a little to have them all different

They are not always "the best" ones but they're usually tasty even though perhaps a bit anonymous...

message 11: by Barb in Maryland (new)

Barb in Maryland | 695 comments Oh, I do know the desire to have 'matching' covers. I get annoyed when publishers decide to 'freshen the look' when a new book comes out from a favorite author.
Sourcebooks does have pretty, low-key, covers that sometimes actually match well with the book. My GH paperbacks are all the same size (trade paperback, as all my old mass market ones fell apart or the print got too small)--but three different publishers! Amazingly, they almost make a 'matched' set.

message 12: by Susan in NC (last edited Mar 15, 2018 09:59AM) (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3583 comments Same here - hadn’t discovered Heyer in time to have mass market paperbacks, but the small print in many of my old mm paperbacks is rough these days!

My mom was still alive and working at Barnes and Noble when I discovered Heyer, and she surprised me with several trade paperback Heyer books from Harlequin- the spine colors match pretty well with my Sourcebooks’ spines!

message 13: by Moloch (new)

Moloch | 203 comments ❇Critterbee wrote: "I do not like those Arrow 2013 covers, not at all. They feel so aloof, impersonal.
The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer Regency Buck by Georgette Heyer Frederica by Georgette Heyer

I have to say I like them: they certainly look very different from usual, maybe more "modern" (too much?). I recognize the scene from "Regency Buck".

The Bodley Head/E.P. Dutton & Co. 1960/70s series are beautiful ..."

Oooh beautiful!

message 14: by Mela (new)

Mela (melabooks) | 70 comments Oh, my! How many nice covers?!

Sad, that I could buy practically only Random House 2004 series (fortunately, I love them), 24 from 33 books.

I have looked now at covers of Polish editions, brrr... Some are awful: link to examples. I see two editions, one with one object on the cover and one looking more like modern or/and cheap romance. Ehh... Again, I don't wonder GH isn't much known and appreciated in Poland.

message 15: by QNPoohBear (last edited Mar 15, 2018 05:43PM) (new)

QNPoohBear | 1372 comments My favorites are the same as Carol's in the first post, and Black Sheep from that series Black Sheep by Georgette Heyer

Looking at the link, the other nice ones are Bodley Head/E.P. Dutton & Co. 1960/70s series.

Pretty but maybe a bit too modernized.

The Random House 2004 series is so pretty and I've seen the Sourcebook cover books in stores and libraries and liked them. I have Frederica. My complaint is the images don't match the time period all the time and many of the Regency paintings were done in the Edwardian period.

Mandarin Paperbacks 1990s series look really nice!

Not so great:
Harper Paperbacks 1990s series-The images are poor. The ladies and gentlemen look Victorian which would have drawn me in as a teen but the floral design makes the books look cheap.

Pan Books 1970s series-the scenes chosen are good but the covers are just a little weird. The people look off and the cover illustrations sensationalize the stories.

Horrendous what were they thinking?!
Signet 1980s series- I have never seen these before! The covers are so .... tawdry, silly, romance novely

Pan Books 1960 series-just funny!

Berkley 1970s series (large print)- Um no. Olivier's Darcy appears in Georgette Heyer novels.

This one of April Lady (Jove paperback)
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6...
made my dad ask "What are you reading?!!!!"

message 16: by Barb in Maryland (new)

Barb in Maryland | 695 comments QNPoohBear--
Oh those Jove covers, illustrated by Charles Geer! (see comment 7 above for link) So lovely to look at and yet, so just not Heyer!

message 17: by Sheila (in LA) (new)

Sheila (in LA) (sheila_in_la) | 357 comments I can't stop looking at that cover for April Lady--I love it! I agree with Margaret, the Charles Geer covers have a sparkle about them, which is actually appropriate for Heyer, even if nothing else is.

Great idea for a thread!

message 18: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Gibson Carol Clouds, thanks for creating a separate thread to discuss the various GH book covers. While I respect everyone's preference I still prefer the Sourcebook covers. They just seem to stand out more for the Regency time period.

message 19: by Jane (new)

Jane | 178 comments Carol, what a fun thread! Love all the links. I wanted all my Heyer books to sort of match in size and appearance, so I purchased either the Random House 2004 versions or the Sourcebooks 2007-2009. I think the covers are quite pretty, even if they don't always appropriately represent the story.

I love the Lady of Quality cover that Carol posted and the Black Sheep one that Pooh Bear listed. I would love to stumble upon a box of used books for sale somewhere that contained that complete set!!

message 20: by QNPoohBear (new)

QNPoohBear | 1372 comments Jane wrote: "
I love the Lady of Quality cover that Carol posted and the Black Sheep one that Pooh Bear listed. I would love to stumble upon a box of used books for sale somewhere that contained that complete set!! "

That would be amazing and expensive! Perhaps a library discard pile would have them? I've seen one or two less popular Heyers with the Heineman covers from Australia of all places (in America) but didn't buy them. I have Sourcebooks Frederica and a Harlequin paperback Venetia
Venetia by Georgette Heyer
The rest I borrow from the library. I like the feel and smell of old books more than the sleek new books.

message 21: by Jane (new)

Jane | 178 comments Pooh Bear, I love the smell of old books, also!! Well, except for the box of books I recently purchased and discovered when I got them home that they were a little too much "eau de musty" for my sensitive nose!!

message 22: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3583 comments Jane wrote: "Pooh Bear, I love the smell of old books, also!! Well, except for the box of books I recently purchased and discovered when I got them home that they were a little too much "eau de musty" for my se..."

No fun, you can’t cozy up with an old book that makes you sneeze!

message 23: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3583 comments QNPoohBear wrote: "Jane wrote: "
I love the Lady of Quality cover that Carol posted and the Black Sheep one that Pooh Bear listed. I would love to stumble upon a box of used books for sale somewhere that contained th..."

I have Sourcebooks (luckily found a bunch at a local used bookstore) and my mom gave me a bunch of harlequin Heyers - when she was at Barnes & Noble they “stripped” the covers and threw away or recycled non-sellers, so I have several free books, sans covers but that’s fine with me!

message 24: by Barb in Maryland (new)

Barb in Maryland | 695 comments As we get ready to read 'Friday's Child', I thought I would start with the cover of my first copy of the book
Friday's Child by Georgette Heyer
Ah, the Ace covers from the 1960s! This one isn't too bad, even though it is quite pink.

message 25: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

Barb in Maryland wrote: "As we get ready to read 'Friday's Child', I thought I would start with the cover of my first copy of the book
Friday's Child by Georgette Heyer
Ah, the Ace covers from the 1960s! This one isn't t..."

It is indeed pink! What does Hero have in her hand - a fan?

message 26: by Barb in Maryland (new)

Barb in Maryland | 695 comments Yes, she is holding a fan and I suppose the young man in the background is supposed to be Sherry. I like that the cover girl actually looks like a teenage girl!

message 27: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3583 comments Wow, thatIS pink!

message 28: by Michaela (new)

Michaela | 46 comments I can´t afford to choose between different covers, I take the one cheapest on Amazon, mostly those with paintings by Marcus Stone or others, or the more modern ones which I don´t like excessively. As far as I know, they´re all from Arrow.

message 29: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

I like this old hardback cover for Friday's Child. Friday's Child by Georgette Heyer I always assume it is Hero at the lawyer's office.

message 30: by Sheila (in LA) (new)

Sheila (in LA) (sheila_in_la) | 357 comments I have an old Ace Star paperback of Friday's Child but I can't find an image of it anywhere. The cover shows a couple embracing against a country landscape--mountains, lake, church, stone bridge. It's rather pretty--but the mood is more romance than comedy. The book, on the other hand, is more comedy than romance.

message 31: by Barb in Maryland (new)

Barb in Maryland | 695 comments Sheila
I think I found your edition. Cover artist is Charles Geer.

Is this it? Friday's Child by Georgette Heyer

message 32: by Sheila (in LA) (new)

Sheila (in LA) (sheila_in_la) | 357 comments Barb, that isn't it! I stayed up late last night trying to find it in all the places I could think of (Google images, Pinterest). I took of photo of it but, as far as I understand it, to post a photo to Goodreads, you have to link to a url. I could email the photo to you if you want to see it.

I do like the one that you posted above--love those Charles Geer covers!

message 33: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

Sheila wrote: "Barb, that isn't it! I stayed up late last night trying to find it in all the places I could think of (Google images, Pinterest). I took of photo of it but, as far as I understand it, to post a pho..."

I'm a librarian on Goodreads. If you want to upload the cover picture to your photos on your profile I can add your edition. :)

message 34: by Sheila (in LA) (new)

Sheila (in LA) (sheila_in_la) | 357 comments Carol, I've uploaded it--thanks! (Sorry the book is not in better condition.)

message 35: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Yes, and that goes for any cover that you have that is not already on Goodreads. More information is better!

message 36: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (last edited Apr 04, 2018 10:05AM) (new)

Sheila wrote: "Carol, I've uploaded it--thanks! (Sorry the book is not in better condition.)"

Don't worry about that - you ought to see some of the shabby books I've uploaded here.

Could you tell me the total number of pages? (Not counting previews or ads for other books)

message 37: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Sheila, that is a pretty cover. Her hair is quite Bridget Bardot. Actually, maybe more like Catherine Deneuve?

message 38: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

OK done. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

Could you give me the year of publication as well please. :)

I'm happy to do any Heyer requests here, but other books please post in the librarians group.

https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/... You have to join the group, but you can leave (if you want) after your request is done. :)

message 39: by Sheila (in LA) (new)

Sheila (in LA) (sheila_in_la) | 357 comments Carol, yes, I will do that when I get home (am at work now). Critterbee, I agree--very much a 60s movie star--not exactly how I picture Hero. Maybe Isabella...

message 40: by Barb in Maryland (new)

Barb in Maryland | 695 comments Sheila
Well! Two new covers for Friday's Child--your very movie poster one and the Charles Geer. Both very pretty and very romance-y and neither heroine looks like Hero to me. I agree with you, your cover gal is more as I pictured Isabella (though the artist still made her look too old! Isabella is 18 or 19--not 25). I'm trying to figure out her dress... and his cravat!
(At least Geer got the period clothing closer to correct... )

message 41: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

Barb in Maryland wrote: "Sheila
I think I found your edition. Cover artist is Charles Geer.

Is this it?Friday's Child by Georgette Heyer"

This is how I picture Sherry.

message 42: by Susan in NC (new)

Susan in NC (susanncreader) | 3583 comments Me, too. He’s described as blond with blue eyes, I think, and isn’t Hero brunette?

message 43: by Rosina (new)

Rosina (rosinarowantree) I am intrigued that both the covers feature the well-known mountains of Kent. Or perhaps it's just Wrotham Hill ....

message 44: by Barb in Maryland (new)

Barb in Maryland | 695 comments Rosina wrote: "I am intrigued that both the covers feature the well-known mountains of Kent. Or perhaps it's just Wrotham Hill ...."
LOL! Yes, they are fine examples of artistic license at work, aren't they...

message 45: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

My cover is this one Friday's Child by Georgette Heyer It is a lovely cover but doesn't look anything like Hero or Isabella!

message 46: by Rosina (new)

Rosina (rosinarowantree) The Audible version has this cover https://images.gr-assets.com/books/14.... Which is just WRONG! (How do you get a thumbnail in the post ...)

message 47: by Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ , Madam Mod (new)

Rosina wrote: "The Audible version has this cover https://images.gr-assets.com/books/14.... Which is just WRONG! (How do you get a thumbnail in the post ...)"

Hahahahahaha! We may have a winner for worst cover!

Rosina, when you look above the comment box you will see add book/author. Click on that. Change the option at the bottom from link to cover. :)

message 48: by Rosina (last edited Apr 04, 2018 02:16PM) (new)

Rosina (rosinarowantree) Like this Friday's Child by Georgette Heyer

Yay! Thank you (added after finding it worked ...)

message 49: by Barb in Maryland (new)

Barb in Maryland | 695 comments Rosina wrote: "Like this Friday's Child by Georgette Heyer

Yay! Thank you (added after finding it worked ...)"

I do NOT believe that cover! What is that 20thC tie doing around his neck? And he looks so mean and angry!! I feel the gal in the background is all wrong, too.--but I'm not quite sure how...

Thanks for finding that one, Rosina. You've made my day!

message 50: by Critterbee❇ (new)

Rosina wrote: "The Audible version has this cover https://images.gr-assets.com/books/14.... Which is just WRONG! (How do you get a thumbnail in the post ...)"

That cover is horrible, looks like a modern soap opera!

« previous 1