2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2018 > Virtual Party

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ilona, Welcome Committee (new)

Ilona | 3786 comments description

We've spent the last few months watching our member numbers rise, and we are so excited to celebrate our group hitting 16,000 members!

Gatsby's house has been rented for the occasion and we have been very busy to prepare a fabulous party for all of you. Kadijah Michelle has been running around getting all of the decorations ready, Kara is setting the stage, Kristin has prepared a great setlist, Rachael has made some delicious treats, Mary Pat is tending the punch bowl, Blagica has prepared fun party games, Winter has a goody bag for every guest and Ilona is at the door to welcome you all here to the biggest book party of the year!

Guests are asked to dress as their favorite character (this is not required but recommended). Give us a description of how you are dressed, and let us guess who you are! You will receive one raffle ticket for coming up with a character.

Welcome Everyone!

message 2: by Ilona, Welcome Committee (new)

Ilona | 3786 comments Welcoming everyone to the party

I thank you for accepting the invitation, we are delighted to welcome you. I have dressed with more than usual care, and am in the highest spirits for the party. My gown is made from pale yellow coloured satin that suits my "fine eyes".

message 3: by Kadijah Michelle (last edited Mar 19, 2018 06:05AM) (new)

Kadijah Michelle (kadmich) | 2176 comments I've covered myself with green body paint and polished off my broomstick. While all the party food looks amazing, you will not find me anywhere near water and ice may be. Can anyone tell me where I can set my pointed black hat?

message 4: by Gabby (last edited Mar 18, 2018 08:09AM) (new)

Gabby I am a little confused. When is this "party?" I am assuming it is now? Because Ilona is "welcoming" us and people are dressed up :)

message 5: by Gabby (last edited Mar 18, 2018 08:33AM) (new)

Gabby Ok! Thanks!
I have my two hound dogs- Dan and Ann- with me, hope you don't mind. We love to go coon hunting. We came over all the way from the Ozark Mountains :) Thanks for having us!

Also, Kadijah Michelle, there is no place like home, but even if you don't touch the water, I'm sure this party will be great.

message 6: by Rachael (new)

Rachael (allons-y-bookworm) | 2999 comments I've gone blonde for this party and I'm wearing my best yellow dress with some rather distinctive jewellery: radishes as earrings and a cork necklace. I have no shoes because even though I'm just as sane as you are, some of my belongings are missing. It's probably because of nargles but they'll turn up eventually. Anyway, I hope there's pudding at this party.

message 7: by Rachelnyc (new)

Rachelnyc | 170 comments Rachael wrote: "I've gone blonde for this party and I'm wearing my best yellow dress with some rather distinctive jewellery: radishes as earrings and a cork necklace. I have no shoes because even though I'm just a..."

Rachael, do you happen to have an extra copy of The Quibbler I can read while my corset is adjusted as tightly as possible to show off my tiny waist? You see, I have a party to attend and I want to look my best when I see Ashley.

message 8: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 2666 comments I'm here! Although most "parties" I've attended are hunting ones. Speaking of which, should I just leave my bow and arrows (with gray fletching) by the door? I hope the air conditioning is running because I probably won't take off my giant fur coat and boots. I might take my hood down though and you'll notice how lucky I am to be kissed by fire.

If you can't figure out who I am, you know nothing. ;)

message 9: by Ilona, Welcome Committee (new)

Ilona | 3786 comments Great costumes everyone!

message 10: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 297 comments Oh what a lovely day for a party. I hope there will be ice cream. I've never tasted ice cream but I can imagine what it tastes like. I am sure it's positively delicious, wonderful... delightful.

My awful red hair is pulled back in two twin braids. I absolutely hate that I have red hair. I've always wanted raven black hair. Mirella says it's pure vanity to keep carrying on about my hair the way I do but I can't help it. At least Matthew, dear Matthew, has furnished me with the finest, most lovely puffed sleeved dress you ever did see! Oh it's positively lovely - fit for a royal queen. I had been wanting a puffed sleeved dress forever. I dreamt about owning one since I was a child during the long lonely days at the orphanage. I am here to find my kindred spirit. Oh, I'd better stop talking. Everyone says I do talk too much so I'll stop here for now.

message 11: by Debra (new)

Debra Barstad | 362 comments Thing wrote: "Ok! Thanks!
I have my two hound dogs- Dan and Ann- with me, hope you don't mind. We love to go coon hunting. We came over all the way from the Ozark Mountains :) Thanks for having us!

Also, Kadij..."

Where the Red Fern Grows

message 12: by Debra (new)

Debra Barstad | 362 comments Dlyn wrote: "Oh what a lovely day for a party. I hope there will be ice cream. I've never tasted ice cream but I can imagine what it tastes like. I am sure it's positively delicious, wonderful... delightful.

M..."

Pippi Longstocking

message 13: by Debra (new)

Debra Barstad | 362 comments Kadijah Michelle wrote: "I've covered myself with green body paint and polished off my broomstick. While all the party food looks amazing, you will not find me anywhere water and ice may be. Can anyone tell me where I can ..."
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

message 14: by Lynn (new)

Lynn | 297 comments Debra wrote: "Dlyn wrote: "Oh what a lovely day for a party. I hope there will be ice cream. I've never tasted ice cream but I can imagine what it tastes like. I am sure it's positively delicious, wonderful... d..."

Anne of Green Gables :)

message 15: by Debra (new)

Debra Barstad | 362 comments I've come to the party all dressed in my favorite color which is Violet which by chance is also my first name. I love to chew gum and am going for the world record for chewing the same piece the longest. I hope you don't mind but I brought a few friends with me as we all won the contest, as well as some funny looking short people that work at the place we won the contest.

message 16: by Debra (new)

Debra Barstad | 362 comments SarahKat wrote: "I'm here! Although most "parties" I've attended are hunting ones. Speaking of which, should I just leave my bow and arrows (with gray fletching) by the door? I hope the air conditioning is running ..."
Katniss everdeen The Hunger Games

message 17: by SarahKat, Buddy Reads (new)

SarahKat | 2666 comments Kristin wrote: "Debra wrote: "SarahKat wrote: "I'm here! Although most "parties" I've attended are hunting ones. Speaking of which, should I just leave my bow and arrows (with gray fletching) by the door? I hope t..."

Yeah it's Ygritte :)

message 18: by Gabby (new)

Gabby Dlyn wrote: "Oh what a lovely day for a party. I hope there will be ice cream. I've never tasted ice cream but I can imagine what it tastes like. I am sure it's positively delicious, wonderful... delightful.

M..."

Wonderful job at copying Anne (with an E) :)

message 19: by Gabby (new)

Gabby Debra wrote: "I've come to the party all dressed in my favorite color which is Violet which by chance is also my first name. I love to chew gum and am going for the world record for chewing the same piece the lo..."

Violet Beauragard. (not sure how to spell her name though! :D )

message 20: by Gabby (new)

Gabby Debra wrote: "Thing wrote: "Ok! Thanks!
I have my two hound dogs- Dan and Ann- with me, hope you don't mind. We love to go coon hunting. We came over all the way from the Ozark Mountains :) Thanks for having us..."

Correct! :D

message 21: by Debra (new)

Debra Barstad | 362 comments Thing wrote: "Debra wrote: "I've come to the party all dressed in my favorite color which is Violet which by chance is also my first name. I love to chew gum and am going for the world record for chewing the sam..."
You would be correct well done

message 22: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) | 314 comments It's tough being born just to help my older sister get well. I love her very much and hate that she's so sick, but I can stand being a pin cushion anymore. Thankfully I have an attorney willing to help me.

message 23: by Meghan L (new)

Meghan L | 291 comments Sorry, I didn't have a chance to get changed out of my work clothes and apron because I'm came straight from Bellefleur's Bar and Grill. Ya'll don't mind if my boyfriends comes by, later? It won't be until after dark, of course.

message 24: by Debra (new)

Debra Barstad | 362 comments Meghan wrote: "Sorry, I didn't have a chance to get changed out of my work clothes and apron because I'm came straight from Bellefleur's Bar and Grill. Ya'll don't mind if my boyfriends comes by, later? It won't ..."
Sookie Stackhouse great show and books

message 25: by Debra (new)

Debra Barstad | 362 comments Jennifer wrote: "It's tough being born just to help my older sister get well. I love her very much and hate that she's so sick, but I can stand being a pin cushion anymore. Thankfully I have an attorney willing to ..."

would this be Anna Fitzgerald from My Sister's Keeper

message 26: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) | 314 comments Yes Debra.

message 27: by Kadijah Michelle (new)

Kadijah Michelle (kadmich) | 2176 comments I am the Wicked Witch of the West, but please call me by my given name, Elphaba :) (I always loved dressing up as her when I was younger!)

message 28: by Michelle (new)

Michelle | 97 comments A party!!! Well that's exciting! I'm thrilled to join. I'll be wearing my ScarabSkin (just in case anything crazy happens, like at Darrow's Triumph) but I'll do something fun with my bright golden hair, at least! They say my hair sets off my golden eyes, so I like to show it off. =) Let's just hope my crazy brother doesn't show up......

message 29: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments I heard about this party when my ship arrived in port from dull London. Sounded like an opportunity to “pick” up a few things. The many folds and pockets of my military-style uniform has many hiding places and my swashbuckling hat keeps my face from prying eyes. But if that guest who is afraid of water and likes monkeys tries her magic on me, she will be in for a surprise as I have both blood magic and knives.

message 30: by Simon (new)

Simon (simontaneously) | 173 comments Mary Pat wrote: "I heard about this party when my ship arrived in port from dull London. Sounded like an opportunity to “pick” up a few things. The many folds and pockets of my military-style uniform has many hidin..."

Would you by chance be Delilah Bard from A Darker Shade of Magic trilogy?

message 31: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 1311 comments I'm not really dressed for a party. I've got a simple dark coloured shirt and trousers on under my cloak which is made from grey ribbonlike pieces of material. I do have some jewellery though. I have a simple stud earring in one ear that my brother said once belonged to my mother.

message 32: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Lindsay wrote: "I'm not really dressed for a party. I've got a simple dark coloured shirt and trousers on under my cloak which is made from grey ribbonlike pieces of material. I do have some jewellery though. I ha..."

I believe you are Vin from the Mistborn series! And you probably have some vials with metal in your pockets! (I was considering her character for myself! Love that series!)

message 33: by Mary Pat (new)

Mary Pat | 2186 comments Simon wrote: "Mary Pat wrote: "I heard about this party when my ship arrived in port from dull London. Sounded like an opportunity to “pick” up a few things. The many folds and pockets of my military-style unifo..."

I would be!

message 34: by Lindsay (new)

Lindsay | 1311 comments Mary Pat wrote: "Lindsay wrote: "I'm not really dressed for a party. I've got a simple dark coloured shirt and trousers on under my cloak which is made from grey ribbonlike pieces of material. I do have some jewell..."

I loved it too!

message 35: by AmbWitch (new)

AmbWitch | 227 comments Hat firmly in place I march into the party and look around, beaming at everyone. ‘Oh, is it somebody’s unbirthday?’ I ask, before heading over to the refreshment table, having spotted a pot of tea and wondering where the Dormouse was.

message 36: by Jessica (new)

Jessica Ann (readncupcakes) | 66 comments I shall wear my best gown and be sure to have my dance card on hand. My three younger sisters and my older sister Jane will be accompanying me, along with our parents.

message 37: by Ilona, Welcome Committee (new)

Ilona | 3786 comments Jessica wrote: "I shall wear my best gown and be sure to have my dance card on hand. My three younger sisters and my older sister Jane will be accompanying me, along with our parents."

Looks like we are wearing the same outfit! Great choice :)
Let's try to stay away from Mr. Collins, shall we? The man can't dance..

message 38: by Gabby (new)

Gabby Ilona wrote: "Jessica wrote: "I shall wear my best gown and be sure to have my dance card on hand. My three younger sisters and my older sister Jane will be accompanying me, along with our parents."

Looks like ..."

I thought you might be Lizzy, Ilona. I could definitely tell you are, Jessica! Unfortunately, Mr. Bingley and his party have not arrived!!

message 39: by Gabby (new)

Gabby *Amber* wrote: "Hat firmly in place I march into the party and look around, beaming at everyone. ‘Oh, is it somebody’s unbirthday?’ I ask, before heading over to the refreshment table, having spotted a pot of tea ..."

The Mad Hatter!

message 40: by Jhuma (new)

Jhuma Khan (jhumaaaa) I am a Spaniard and also the second best fencer in the world, I used to be the first but then I was defeated by this man who wore only black but its okay we're friends now. I used to work for this Sicilian but he's dead now so I'll not get into that. My best friend is a giant, whom I met by working for the Sicilian. I also may have had a drinking problem. Can anyone tell me is there any alcohol in this punch? Ah, it doesn't matter I'll drink it anyway! My father was murdered by this six-fingered man when I was eleven-year-old. I have been training my whole life to avenge his death. But a party for one night wouldn't hurt.

message 41: by Lila (new)

Lila P | 7 comments Hi everyone! I am ready for the party!

I am a fashionable Southern belle wearing a green gown that my servant helped me don. I have dark brown hair and green eyes, and a small waist. Although I am not beautiful, I can be very charming.

message 42: by Jhuma (new)

Jhuma Khan (jhumaaaa) Kristin wrote: "Jhuma: Inigo Montoya! One of my favorite characters 😄"

Correct

message 43: by Amber M. (new)

Amber M. McCarter (mommyultd) | 129 comments I'm afraid I've just rolled out of bed, and still in my frog pajamas...

message 44: by Gabby (new)

Gabby Jhuma Khan-
Great outfit! I actually just started reading the Princess Bride!😊

message 45: by Reenah (new)

Reenah | 179 comments *hides in a dark corner* I'm feeling a bit under-dressed, as I'm wearing almost nothing, and I have hardly any hair, either. But if you want to try and spot me, the two most likely places are either close to the fish buffet (*hoping you're serving fresh and sweet fish*), or near shiny, round decorations.

message 46: by Charlotte (new)

Charlotte | 21 comments I'm still struggling to fill the role of a "proper lady". I have the proper dress and my brown hair is styled in the proper manner. My necklace is gorgeous and gleaming! I wouldn't let them touch my earrings though as they pay tribute to my brothers. One brother, who I was recently reunited with, will probably join me later... we have the same blood and were always quite close before he went to war.

message 47: by Gabby (new)

Gabby Reenah wrote: "*hides in a dark corner* I'm feeling a bit under-dressed, as I'm wearing almost nothing, and I have hardly any hair, either. But if you want to try and spot me, the two most likely places are eithe..."

*Coughing/hacking sound that sounds like "Gollum"*
Do you like to live in wet caves and eat hobbitses?

message 48: by Gabby (new)

Gabby Just wanted to say, I'm having a great time :) We don't often get to have sodas so I am very happy :D Can I have a refill please? ;)
-Billy Colman/Thing 2

message 49: by Lee (last edited Apr 04, 2018 10:36AM) (new)

Lee I'm dressed in a brown loose fitting jacket (okay it's more like a pancho that connects around the neck, I know nothing about fashion, sorry). Underneath, I'm wearing a black tank top with dark jeans, a white belt and white boots that come up to my ankle. I have short hair that reflects green when the light hits it and green wings that show when I take off my jacket. I'm always around with my husband that the world doesn't approve of and our daughter who we keep a careful eye on.

message 50: by Janneke (new)

Janneke Curiston My hair is braided back and I'm wearing a jumpsuit. My nails are decorated with fire by my team and the bow on my back doesn't miss a single shot. I apologize in advance if I pierce any apples with my arrows, I have a tendency to do so.

« previous 1