The BOOK/MOVIE Club discussion

Buddy Read/Watch > Buddy Read/Watch

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Max (new)

Max Berger | 156 comments Mod
Is there a book, movie, or TV show that you really want to dig into, but you don't want to do it alone?

Post about it here, and find members who want to do it with you! You can coordinate the hows and whens from there.

This is a great way to make friends here and engage with the community :)

message 2: by Adriana (Mea) (new)

Adriana (Mea) Gutierrez (adrianamea) | 129 comments Mod
I am definitely going to watch A Wrinkle in Time or Annahilation this weekend.

Also would love to discuss End of the F*cking World (a super short Netflix original).

Let me know if you’re interested in a buddy watch for any of these!

message 3: by Alya (new)

Alya Abdalla (alyashafea) Heeyy.. This is so much fun.
I would really love to have some one watch and discuss with me the series DARK. It’s on Netflix.
I’ve watched the first season already. But would be happy to re-watch it again... “this is how amazing it is”

And then we can continue from there for the coming seasons :D

message 4: by Karma (new)

Karma Eberhardt (ladylibrary) Adriana (Mea) wrote: "I am definitely going to watch A Wrinkle in Time or Annahilation this weekend.

Also would love to discuss End of the F*cking World (a super short Netflix original).

Let me know if you’re interes..."

I just watched Annahilation this last weekend but it's a much more twisted and thought provoking sci-fi then what I was expecting so I would love someone to discuss the film with!

message 5: by Alex (new)

Alex Makoyan | 16 comments Max wrote: "Is there a book, movie, or TV show that you really want to dig into, but you don't want to do it alone?

Post about it here, and find members who want to do it with you! You can coordinate the hows..."

Annihilation sounds dandy. Have any of you seen Bright?

message 6: by Max (new)

Alex wrote: "Max wrote: "Is there a book, movie, or TV show that you really want to dig into, but you don't want to do it alone?

Post about it here, and find members who want to do it with you! You can coordin..."

Down to see Annihilation this weekend and discuss! Also I haven't watched Bright yet, I keep putting it off but I really want to see it. Have you?

message 7: by Max (new)

Alya wrote: "Heeyy.. This is so much fun.
I would really love to have some one watch and discuss with me the series DARK. It’s on Netflix.
I’ve watched the first season already. But would be happy to re-watch ..."

Just watched the trailer for Dark.... Looks awesome! I will watch the first episode when I get a chance and tell you what I think :) It feels like It meets time travel!

message 8: by Alya (new)

Alya Abdalla (alyashafea) Max wrote: "Alya wrote: "Heeyy.. This is so much fun.
I’ve watched the first season already. But would be happy..."

I can't wait to know what you'll think about it. ENJOY **

message 9: by Max (new)

Karma wrote: "Adriana (Mea) wrote: "I am definitely going to watch A Wrinkle in Time or Annahilation this weekend.

Let me ..."

Annihilation was awesome! It went so much deeper than I expected it to, and had such a symbolic narrative. It wasn't always about what was literally happening on screen, the important parts of the movie were often in the subtext, or came through in metaphors and symbolism. I think there are many ways to interpret the meaning of this movie, and that's the main reason I like it so much. Everyone can have a different take.

Also the special effects were amazing, and the science-fiction elements were fascinating and so beautiful. Natalie Portman and Oscar Isaac were haunting in their roles- and dark atmosphere of the movie and the creepy music only added to that.

For me it's an 8.5 out of 10! I will be thinking about it for days to come.

message 10: by Adriana (Mea) (last edited Jun 14, 2018 08:16PM) (new)

Karma wrote: "Adriana (Mea) wrote: "I am definitely going to watch A Wrinkle in Time or Annahilation this weekend.

Let me ..."

Annihilation turned out to be a much more complex movie than the trailers made it out to be. It is so much more than your average suspense or horror film. In fact, it’s a highly cerebral movie, which tackles ideas such as: impact of our human biology on our perception of self, ego death, humans place in nature, and the concept of time. If you have seen Ex Machina, also directed by Alex Garland, expect to feel the same intense anxiety throughout the film. If you haven’t seen Ex Machina, I highly recommend it.

Garland’s highbrow films create a unique experience that make you scratch your head and see the world around you in a different light. Each movie is a thought provoking piece that is not made solely for the purpose of enjoyment, but for self reflection.

I also have to mention, you do not have to be a sci fi / philosophy buff to enjoy this mivie, it is very entertaining at face value. First, it has incredible cinematography. The visuals are vibrant, especially with the detailed natural landscapes contrasting the abandoned buildings. Second, I was on the edge of my seat with the psychological twists and jump scares. Third, I enjoyed watching an all female cast face challenges that have predominantly been played out by male actors. Natalie Portman did a fantastic job facially expressing herself through highly stressful situations. As Max mentioned above, Oscar Isaac was equally impressive.

Rating: 8/10 Shimmer Bears

*Spoilers*

Memorable scenes:

1. I will get right to it- the human duplicates at the end were crazy. Especially when Natalie Portman’s character mimicked her every movement. I am still unsure if the duplicates took the “real” characters place in the real world OR if the characters had a mental shimmer breakthrough and were on the same agenda as the aliens when they returned. I’m still a little confused at that open ended final scene with the changing eye colors.

2. The prism greenhouse shimmer effect was a unique idea that could have been a huge miss, but it was so well filmed it was highly believable. I like how time and space were bent and causing plants, animals, and humans DNA to evolve at an incredible rate.

3. The bear with the recorded human screams was horrifying, it will haunt me in my dreams tonight. I’m sure of it.

I could go on....! What stood out to you?

message 11: by Anabella (new)

Anabella  Shay (anabellashay) | 1 comments Prachi and I are going to be reading/watching Afterburn/Aftershock by Slyvia Day and Hollywood Dirt by Alessandra Torre

message 12: by Monika (new)

Monika Needham | 46 comments I watched and am now reading Altered Carbon, so excellent made me appreciate the show even more. Would love to discuss, there are some great themes in both the book and show. The idea of eternal youth and questionable moral standards is always a fun topic.

message 13: by Rohit (new)

Rohit (rohitraut) | 58 comments Monika wrote: "I watched and am now reading Altered Carbon, so excellent made me appreciate the show even more. Would love to discuss, there are some great themes in both the book and show. The idea of eternal yo..."

Hi Monika, feel free to discuss anything about TV shows over here - https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 14: by Ashley (alee) (new)

Ashley (alee) Ruiz (natti100) | 4 comments I really want someone to see The Ridiculous 6 with me on Netflix (Its an original by Netflix)

message 15: by Monika (new)

Monika Needham | 46 comments What's the plot?

message 16: by Ashley (alee) (new)

Ashley (alee) Ruiz (natti100) | 4 comments Monika wrote: "What's the plot?"

Its about these 6 people that are related to the same dad but from different mothers and they have to help save their dad.

message 17: by Adriana (Mea) (new)

For those of you currently doing Buddy Reads what are you reading? How is going? We would love to know!

message 18: by Monika (new)

Monika Needham | 46 comments Ash wrote: "Monika wrote: "What's the plot?"

Its about these 6 people that are related to the same dad but from different mothers and they have to help save their dad."

Is it more comical or heavy drama?