2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2018 > Savannah's 2018 Corner

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Savannah (new)

Savannah | 232 comments Here I will be tracking my 2018 Challenges!

message 2: by Savannah (last edited Aug 06, 2018 11:44AM) (new)

Savannah | 232 comments POPSUGAR 2018

23/40 7-6-18 changed goal to 40

1. A book made into a movie you’ve already seen The 5th Wave
2. True crime
3. The next book in a series you started The Infinite Sea
4. A book involving a heist
5. Nordic noir
6. A novel based on a real person
7. A book set in a country that fascinates you Tomorrow, When the War Began
8. A book with a time of day in the title
9. A book about a villain or antihero Renegades
10. A book about death or grief The Last Star
11. A book with a female author who uses a male pseudonym
12. A book with an LGBTQ+ protagonist Down Among the Sticks and Bones
13. A book that is also a stage play or musical
14. A book by an author of a different ethnicity than you Warcross
15. A book about feminism
16. A book about mental health We Are the Ants
17. A book you borrowed or that was given to you as a gift Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda
18. A book by two authors The Four-Fingered Man (technically 3 authors)
19. A book about or involving a sport Openly Straight
20. A book by a local author
21. A book with your favorite color in the title
22. A book with alliteration in the title
23. A book about time travel Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children
24. A book with a weather element in the title Footprints of Thunder
25. A book set at seaThunderhead (*Endura is in the Ocean*) (view spoiler)
26. A book with an animal in the title
27. A book set on a different planet Cinder
28. A book with song lyrics in the titles
29. A book about or set in Halloween
30. A book with characters who are twins Every Heart a Doorway
31. A book mentioned in another book
32. A book from a celebrity book club
33. A childhood classic you’ve never read A Wrinkle in Time
34. A book that’s published in 2018 Beneath the Sugar Sky
35. A past Goodreads Choice Awards winner
36. A book set in the decade you were born
37. A book you meant to read in 2017 but didn’t get to The Maze Runner
38. A book with an ugly cover The Forest of Hands and Teeth(not a fan of full faces on covers)
39. A book that involves a bookstore or a libraryGone AND/OR No Safety in Numbers
40. Your favorite prompt from the 2015, 2016, 2017 PopSugar Reading Challenges [2016 book under 150 pages] Openly, Honestly

Advanced
41. A bestseller from the year you graduated high school
42. A cyberpunk book
43. A book that was being read by a stranger in a public place
44. A book tied to your ancestry
45. A book with a fruit or vegetable in the title
46. An allegory The Long Walk
47. A book by an author with the same first or last name as you
48. A microhistory
49. A book about a problem facing society today
50. A book recommended by someone else taking the PopSugar Reading Challenge

message 3: by Savannah (last edited Aug 06, 2018 11:02AM) (new)

Savannah | 232 comments *UPDATED AUG 6 2018*
I will finish 4 series I have started before this year. (14)
I will start 3 series this year. (11)
I will read 8 series from start to finish this year. (25)
I will read 25 number of books that are part of a series. (25 books)
even if I've read the first in the series another year, i will most likely read it again to refresh before finishing the series

My total number of books is 25 ; which makes me in the Tier Shelf Stacker

I'll go ahead and list them all here so I can check them off when I finish them!

1. The 5th Wave
2. The Infinite Sea
3. The Last Star
4. Scythe
5. Thunderhead
6. Every Heart a Doorway
7. Down Among the Sticks and Bones
8. Beneath the Sugar Sky
9. Cinder
10. Scarlet
11. Cress
12. Winter
13. Stars Above
14. Footprints of Thunder
15. Thunder of Time
16. Dinosaur Thunder
17. The Maze Runner
18. The Scorch Trials
19. The Death Cure
20. The Kill Order
21. Stalking Jack the Ripper
22. Hunting Prince Dracula
23. No Safety in Numbers
24. No Easy Way Out
25. No Dawn Without Darkness

Edited: August 6, 2018. Went from 46 series books to 25

I have currently read 14/25
The 5th Wave (The 5th Wave, #1) by Rick Yancey The Infinite Sea (The 5th Wave, #2) by Rick Yancey The Last Star (The 5th Wave, #3) by Rick Yancey
Scythe (Arc of a Scythe, #1) by Neal Shusterman Thunderhead (Arc of a Scythe, #2) by Neal Shusterman
Every Heart a Doorway (Wayward Children, #1) by Seanan McGuire Down Among the Sticks and Bones (Wayward Children, #2) by Seanan McGuire Beneath the Sugar Sky (Wayward Children, #3) by Seanan McGuire
Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer
Footprints of Thunder by James F. David
The Maze Runner (The Maze Runner, #1) by James Dashner The Scorch Trials (The Maze Runner, #2) by James Dashner
No Safety in Numbers (No Safety in Numbers, #1) by Dayna Lorentz No Easy Way Out (No Safety in Numbers, #2) by Dayna Lorentz

message 4: by Savannah (last edited Aug 06, 2018 10:19AM) (new)

Savannah | 232 comments GOODREADS READING GOAL

1. Rage by Richard Bachman (Stephen King) -- I gave this 4 stars, it is the second King book that I've read.

2. Renegades by Marissa Meyer -- 5 stars, I really enjoyed this book, and can't wait for the second in the series!

3. Boot Camp by Todd Strasser -- I originally gave this 5 stars but changed it to 4 stars. It was really good, but definitely isn't a favorite of mine.

4. Artemis by Andy Weir -- 5 stars. Really enjoyed this book.

5. Shooter by Walter Dean Myers -- 4 stars. I liked this, but it took me a while to get used to the interview format that it was written in.

6. The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey -- 5 stars. This was a re-read, because I want to finish the series! I loved this book just as much as I did reading it the first time, it is one of my favorites still!

7. One of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus -- 5 stars. I enjoyed this! (view spoiler)

8. Every Heart a Doorway by Seanan McGuire -- 5 stars. This was absolutely AMAZING! I love the whole concept of this book and the writing was great!

9. The Infinite Sea by Rick Yancey -- 5 stars. I loved this as well. I still think I liked the first one more, but i still loved it.

10. Tomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden -- 5 stars. I read this for Duodecathon and wasn't too sure how I would feel about it, but I ended up really enjoying it. I'm hoping to pick up the second book from the library soon.

11. Footprints of Thunder by James F. David -- 5 stars. I started the 3rd book in this series by accident in HS and liked it but was a bit confused. It was nice to finally pick this up and understand what started everything. I liked this enough that I actually bought the whole series for my shelf!

12. Down Among the Sticks and Bones by Seanan McGuire -- 5 stars. I read/listened to the whole of this in one sitting last night. I absolutely love this series!

13. Beneath the Sugar Sky by Seanan McGuire -- 5 stars. 2019 is TOOO far away. I'm definitely going to buy this series, I can't wait for book 4!

14. Openly Straight by Bill Konigsberg -- 4.75 stars. Overall great book, few small issues but I would still definitely recommend reading this book!

15. Openly, Honestly by Bill Konigsberg -- 5 stars. Enjoyed this, especially that we got to see a bit of Ben's life at home.

16. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle -- 4.5 stars. It was a little bit slow at first but I liked it overall and am excited to see the movie.

17. Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli -- 5 stars. Enjoyed this book, wasn't so sure at the beginning but it grew on me. I ended up reading it all in a day! One thing that bothered me a bit was they called it the Tumblr instead of just Tumblr lol

18. Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer -- 5 stars. I actually really enjoyed this book, Hoping to be able to pick up the second in the trilogy soon!

19. Proxy by Alex London -- 5 stars. Really enjoyed this, and can't wait to get the second one and read it!!!

20. Warcross by Marie Lu -- 4 stars. I did enjoy this book but something about how the Virtual Reality worked, was a bit confusing to me. That is why I gave it only a 4 star rating. It quite possibly could have even been a 3 star read for me, but the ending bumped it up. I'm definitely going to read the second book when it comes out in order to see what happens next. I'm curious to see where the story goes.

21. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins -- 5 stars. Second Time I've Read This And I Enjoyed It As Much As I Did The First Time. Just Rented The Movie On YouTube As Well, So I Can Watch It! Very Excited To Read The Rest Of The Trilogy As It Will Be My First Time Reading The Other Two Books!

22. Cinder by Marissa Meyer -- 5 stars. Second time reading this and I enjoyed it just as much as the first time! I've read this, Scarlet and part of Cress before and really enjoyed it all. I'm excited to get back into the series and see where it ends up! :D

23. The Last Star by Rick Yancey -- 5 stars.
I don't even know what to say right now. The ending had me in tears. I loved the characters and am really upset that (view spoiler) But I suppose the fact that (view spoiler) kind of makes up for it. I'm sad that there isn't more in this world but think it was wrapped up nicely.

24. Plague Land by Alex Scarrow -- 5 stars. There were a few things that bothered me a bit, but not enough to drop it to 4 stars. I really enjoyed this book, it got pretty weird at the end though. I'm very excited to read the next book though, and see how these remade people play out. From what I understand this virus or whatever has to be alien, there is no way that it is man-made as some of the characters think. I'm also interested to see how Freya and Leon do together, and if anyone else in the Spa place lived. I would also like to see more of the i think military people that were at the beginning and some other people from other countries.

One thing that bothered me a little was the time jumps, it was present time, then all the sudden it was a couple months later.

And OMG He burned a 12 year old girl alive, like wth.

25. Scythe by Neal Shusterman -- 5 stars. Definitely my favorite book I've read in 2017... Can't wait for Thunderhead!!!
UPDATE: Still my favorite book. I loved this as much as I did reading in the fist time. If you haven't read this yet, read it. It is such an amazing book, with amazing writing! :D

26. Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs -- 5 stars. I didn't think I would like this very much before I read it but, I'm really glad I finally picked it up. I really enjoyed it. I'm hoping I can find the movie somewhere to watch now, because I've held off watching that until I read the book!

27. Thunderhead by Neal Shusterman -- 5 stars. ** spoiler alert ** I would give this more stars if I could...

When Scythe Curie gleaned herself though, 😭😭😭💔.
I don’t even have words to explain how I’m feeling right now, the ending killed me inside and I feel for Faraday and Citra when they hear of what happened to Curie...also I can’t wait to see Goddard punished for what he has done

28. The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan -- 3 stars. It was...ok...
I like the concept of the story and some of the characters. But, it just wasn't all that great. I gave it 3 stars because I wanted to know what happened throughout the story. The main character, Mary, was a little annoying as well.

(view spoiler)

29. We Are the Ants by Shaun David Hutchinson -- 5 stars. Hmm.

I did really like this, even more than I thought I would. I get the feeling though, that (view spoiler)

I almost wish there would have been an epilogue to close up the end a bit more, but i still really enjoyed the book!

30. No Safety in Numbers by Dayna Lorentz -- 3.5 stars....it was okay; the second half was way better that the first. I am looking forward to reading the second book to see what happens next!

31. Gone by Michael Grant -- 5 stars. Second time I read this and still enjoyed it as much as the first time. I'm hoping to get the second book later this month at the library along with the sequel to No Safety in Numbers!

32. The Body by Stephen King -- 5 stars. OMG! I loved this so much! I love the movie 'Stand By Me' and have for so long. Finally read the book and enjoyed it just as much. I've only read 3 other stephen king books, but this is the fastest I've read one!

33. The Long Walk by Stephen King as Richard Bachman -- 5 stars. I don't even know what to say right now. I did really enjoy the book, even though it took so long for me to read it. Out of the 4 King's I've read so far it's probably number 3 on my list. The ending was good and open to interpretation. Really excited to read more King this year!

34. Dear Earthling: Cosmic Correspondent by Pen Avey -- 4 stars. This is a book about a 10 year old Crankian boy named Dethbert Jones. He has just joined the Space Cadets on his home planet, Crank, which is very similar to our Boy Scouts. The story follows Dethbert as he writes to an Earthling in order to earn the Cosmic Correspondance badge. It is told through letters that Dethbert is sending to his pen pal.

I really enjoyed this book. It was a very quick and humorous read. I thought the little drawings in it were a very nice addition. I would recommend this to other readers looking for a light, fun read!

4/5 stars.

Thank you to NetGalley for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest review!

35. No Easy Way Out by Dayna Lorentz -- 4 stars. I enjoyed this more than I did the first book. I'm really curious to see what happens in book three, because based on the ending of two, it seems like nothing really good could happen.

36. The Gateway: The Four-Fingered Man by Cerberus Jones -- 4.5 stars. I enjoyed this book, especially the little *twist* at the end. I do think I'll end up picking up the rest of the series to find out what goes on at the Gateway Hotel!

37. This Is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijkamp -- 4.5 stars. I did like this book. It was a fairly quick read for me as well. It's not a favorite that's why it's not 5 stars. But I did like it, nonetheless.

38. The Maze Runner by James Dashner -- 5 stars. (re-read orig. 4.5 stars) I don't know why I gave 4.5 the first time I read this. I really like the concept of this book. I'm really excited to get on with the series now as well!

39. Hide and Shriek by Alison Hughes -- 5 stars. Thank you to NetGalley and Orca Book Publishers for sending me an arc in exchange for an honest review!

This is a book about 4 friends; Emily (14), Tess, Dylan and Cam (16) who have a Friday Night Hide-and-Seek game going. Every Friday night they go out into their backyards and the alley behind their houses to play hide-and-seek in the dark. Then they get news that there is a curfew of 2300 for all children under 17, which means they shouldn't bee out doing their hide-and-seek game, but they do anyway. After they play their game, they don't go home, instead head out to sit by the river. This leads them to be hunted through the forest and back into their normal game area, and stuff goes down.

I loved this, it was such a fast-paced read that kept me on the edge of my seat. It only took me about an hour to read because I couldn't put it down. I definitely recommend this to anyone who wants a quick, thrilling story. The ending was a bit abrupt though, I do feel that there could have been a little more. I would love to see more from this group of friends in the future!

message 5: by Savannah (last edited Aug 06, 2018 10:20AM) (new)

Savannah | 232 comments GOODREADS READING GOAL CON'T

40. The Math Kids: The Prime-Time Burglars by David Cole -- 4 stars. Thank you to NetGalley and Common Deer Press, I received an eARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This book is about a group of 3 kids, Justin, Jordan and Stephanie who all love math. They form a math club, The Math Kids, after all being in the same math group in school. This books follows them as they solve math problems, both in class and outside of school, all while dealing with bullies, Ryan, Bill, and Bryce tormenting them along the way.

I enjoyed this book. I don't really like math, but I did like how it was incorporated into the story. There are two problems outside of class given to the children, one by Jordan's sister and one by their teacher, that we as readers are given a chance to do ourselves. Before the solution there is a box, telling you to stop and see if you can do the problem yourself before reading how the kids' do it. I think that was a really nice edition to the book. Along with that there is also a section in the back of the book that tells you all about the maths done in the book. I think children, whether or not they like math, will find this a fun read.

I'm also intrigued to read the second book that comes out in 2019, which is also mentioned in the back of the book.

41. Orange: The Complete Collection, Volume 1 by Ichigo Takano -- 4.5 stars. This is the first manga I've read! I enjoyed this, one thing that was a little confusing was the switching from present to past with no indication really. But I did enjoy it and find myself wanting to pick up Volume 2 and read it to see what happens next! :D

42. The Scorch Trials by James Dashner -- 5 stars. I enjoyed this a lot. There were a few things I'm a little sad about (view spoiler) I'm going to wait a bit, though to read the Death Cure just so I can process everything that happened in the Scorch and after.

42/45

message 6: by Savannah (last edited Aug 06, 2018 11:03AM) (new)

Savannah | 232 comments MONTHLY GROUP READS

MARCH -- A Wrinkle in Time
APRIL -- Big Little Lies NOT DOING
MAY -- Middlesex NOT DOING
JUNE -- A Study in Scarlet NOT DOING
JULY -- Little Fires Everywhere NOT DOING
AUGUST -- Red Queen NOT DOING
SEPTEMBER --
OCTOBER --
NOVEMBER --
DECEMBER --

MONTHLY CHALLENGES

MARCH -- Page to Screen in 2018: A Wrinkle in Time
APRIL -- Surprisingly Similar: Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda , Proxy , Warcross
MAY -- Flowers: Scythe , The Forest of Hands and Teeth
JUNE -- MARATHON CHALLENGE (7 books)No Safety in Numbers GoneThe Body
JULY -- A Bit of Light Reading (2):
AUGUST -- Royally Challenged
4. Read a book that has heart, club, diamond or spade in the title
5. Read a book with a purple cover
6. Read a book about someone raising a child
7. Read a book where a character has the same name as one of these monarchs.
8. Read a book that features a royal word in the title
SEPTEMBER --
OCTOBER --
NOVEMBER --
DECEMBER --

message 7: by Savannah (last edited Aug 06, 2018 02:52PM) (new)

Savannah | 232 comments COLOUR CHALLENGE 2018

14/15

1. Read a book with "White" The Forest of Hands and Teeth (The Forest of Hands and Teeth, #1) by Carrie Ryan

2. Read a book with "Pink" This Is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijkamp

3. Read a book with "Red" No Safety in Numbers (No Safety in Numbers, #1) by Dayna Lorentz

4. Read a book with "Orange" The Four-Fingered Man by Cerberus Jones

5. Read a book with "Yellow" Scythe (Arc of a Scythe, #1) by Neal Shusterman

6. Read a book with "Green" Gone (Gone, #1) by Michael Grant

7. Read a book with "Light Blue" Thunderhead (Arc of a Scythe, #2) by Neal Shusterman

8. Read a book with "Dark Blue" The Body by Stephen King

9. Read a book with "Purple" The Long Walk by Richard Bachman

10. Read a book with "Brown" The Math Kids The Prime-Time Burglars by David Cole

11. Read a book with "Black" Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine’s Peculiar Children, #1) by Ransom Riggs

12. Read a book with a Metallic color in the cover (gold, silver, bronze, etc...). The Scorch Trials (The Maze Runner, #2) by James Dashner (silver)

13. Read a book with at least 5 colors on the cover. We Are the Ants by Shaun David Hutchinson

14. Read a book with a color in the title of the book. Orange The Complete Collection, Volume 1 by Ichigo Takano

15. Read a book with a word describing colors in the title (rainbow, stripes, polka dots, etc...).