What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

With a Vengeance
This topic is about With a Vengeance
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. 80's Crime-Fiction -- Revenge by father for son's college initiation death [s]

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Terri (last edited Mar 14, 2018 12:59PM) (new)

Terri Hood | 8 comments ►80's crime-fiction novel.
►90% sure the name of main character is Randall Nye.

***PLOT DESCRIPTION MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS -- DOES NOT GIVE AWAY OUTCOME***

PLOT DESCRIPTION:
(view spoiler)
►On the cover of the novel was an artist's rendition of the son, blindfolded & tied to the tree. The tree is aflame and the son is screaming.
►I know I read this novel in the 80's. My father had a bunch of crime novels that I used to borrow. It was such a great story that it has stuck with me all of these years. I have been looking for this book for a long, long time. I have asked for help at every bookstore that I have been in. No luck yet. If someone could help me... it would be very, very, very much appreciated. Please help me if you can!! -- GrizzyLyn (a.k.a. Terri)

message 2: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 6967 comments Mod
Terri--just in case your memories don't entirely mesh up with other readers of the book, Spoilers are permitted in this group. Just warn that they are coming, and then either hit Enter 4 or 5 times or use the spoilers hider. (view spoiler) To use this, go to Some HTML is OK on the upper right side of the comment box and scroll down to the directions for doing this. This is one of the few groups on GR that actively encourage the use of Spoilers because so many books have the same type of plot.

message 3: by Terri (new)

Terri Hood | 8 comments Ann aka Iftcan wrote: "Terri--just in case your memories don't entirely mesh up with other readers of the book, Spoilers are permitted in this group. Just warn that they are coming, and then either hit Enter 4 or 5 times..."

I edited my post to hide the plot description.
-- GrizzyLyn (a.k.a. Terri)

message 4: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39310 comments Mod
Well that's just not nice.

message 5: by Terri (new)

Terri Hood | 8 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Well that's just not nice."

You can still see it (if you want to)... LOL. Love your comment.

message 6: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 39310 comments Mod
The revenge plot, I mean. Just a bit harsh.

message 7: by Terri (new)

Terri Hood | 8 comments Oh, totally misunderstood your comment... LOL (embarrassed).

Yes, it is quite a disturbing plot. Even so (from what I remember), the book is well-written and a very satisfying read. I wish I had held on to the book instead of returning it to my father (who most likely donated it to a used book drive). I have been searching for many, many years but have yet to find another copy. I've tried flea markets, book stores, online, etc. I am hoping against hope that someone in this community can help me find this novel. Thanks again for your help!!

message 8: by Ayshe (last edited Mar 16, 2018 07:27AM) (new)

Ayshe | 4230 comments With a Vengeance by Gerald DiPego?

This is from the Kirkus review:
Is violence necessary? A little more than sex although that's there too, as a filler, in the chain killings Stephen Nye decides to impose, twenty years later, on the five fraternity brothers who burned his son alive, tied to a tree, as one of those charming admission fees. Nye bas been a mild and undistinguished teacher in the years between. Now, strictly flipped out, he catches up with the five responsible and decides to take their children's lives. After the second killing, the police recognize the pattern but do very little except some heavy looking-on while waiting for the progression of fatalities.

message 9: by Terri (new)

Terri Hood | 8 comments OMG... THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU!!!!!

Yes. My search is finally over. Thanks, Ayshe!!!!

After checking out the reviews, I am not alone with being totally haunted by this story. I cannot believe this was the author's FIRST novel. Wow.

The first printings were actually 1977 & 1978. I was off by a few years (I said 1980's). The main character was Stephen (not Randall) Nye... I had the last name correct but not the first.
The plot, though, accurately stuck in my mind. I read this book over 30 years ago and never forgot it.

After all the years of searching... I join this wonderful community and have a result in a couple days. I only hope that I can return the favor. You have no idea how much this means to me and how grateful I am for your help. Thanks so much!!

-- GrizzyLyn (Terri)

message 10: by Terri (new)

Terri Hood | 8 comments P.S. I ordered both a copy of the paperback (because that was the form I first read... the photo on the cover is the one that I remember) and also a copy of the hardcover collector's edition. I cannot wait for both to arrive.

Again, thanks Ayshe... thank you, thank you!!

message 11: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4230 comments :) You're welcome!

message 12: by Kym (new)

Kym | 1058 comments Ayshe wrote: "With a Vengeance by Gerald DiPego?

This is from the Kirkus review:
Is violence necessary? A little more than sex although that's there too, as a filler, in the chai..."

Nice one Ayshe.

message 13: by Ayshe (new)

Ayshe | 4230 comments Kym wrote: "Nice one Ayshe."

Thank you. I was thinking it shouldn't be so hard to find when there's name, and finally found trace in "West Coast Review of Books" searching for "Nye is" detective books in google books.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

With a Vengeance (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Gerald DiPego (other topics)