Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

35 views
Book Issues > Updated Policy on ISBNs and ASINs

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by jjdigcam (new)

jjdigcam | 16 comments I have just changed the ASIN on a new edition of an older book where the title was changed. The Alien's Mate (Interstellar Brides®: The Virgins Book 0) ASIN: B01LZOWIQN. I'd appreciate someone double checking my changes to make sure I've done it correctly according to the new policy.
Thanks JoAnn


message 2: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44643 comments Mod
Please remember the pub date of new cover edition will never be the same as the original pub date. If the date of the cover change is known, use that. Otherwise the current month and year is generally a reasonable approximation.

Also, since the original edition of this work had Vanessa Vale as primary author, all editions need to have it in that position as well.

If you review the logs, you can see some other edits I made, including deleting a stray edition.

And just FYI, this new policy does not change the process of changing a work's default edition. That is still something the author would need to do.


message 3: by jjdigcam (new)

jjdigcam | 16 comments okay thanks,

re last statement this is why the book still shows up as the old title on the author's list of books correct.

I'm going to take a look at the other comments and come back.
Again thanks so much, JoAnn


message 4: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44643 comments Mod
jjdigcam wrote: "re last statement this is why the book still shows up as the old title on the author's list of books correct."

Correct. There has been no change to how the default edition of a work is selected. It is still either the edition with the most shelvings, or the one manually selected by the first-listed author of the book.


message 5: by jjdigcam (last edited Mar 14, 2018 11:44AM) (new)

jjdigcam | 16 comments Please have patience, I'm still at the advanced beginner stage in librarian experience.

Regarding the publication date, I'm confused. October 2, 2016 is the publish date listed on Amazon.

Regarding Vanessa Vale: I have searched on Google and Amazon several times, her website and her twitter site. She no longer lists Cowgirls and Aliens as one of her books. Any reference to The Alien's Mate, including Vale's personal accounts defaults to Grace Goodwin's book The Alien's Mate. I searched under just, Cowgirls and Aliens and just Vanessa Vale. All results were the same. It's like she has totally divorced herself from the book and turned it over entirely to Grace Goodwin. It was one of Goodwin's first books and I wonder if Vale took first author for sales purposes. The book sounds more like Goodwin than it does Vale. Thanks, JoAnn


message 6: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 44643 comments Mod
jjdigcam wrote: "Regarding the publication date, I'm confused. October 2, 2016 is the publish date listed on Amazon."

Yes, and that was the original pub date for that ASIN. However, when the author changed the title, and then changed the covers (several times), they did not change the ASIN or pub date. On Goodreads, however, we assign pub dates of new cover editions as of when the change occurred, or our best estimate thereof.


jjdigcam wrote: "Regarding Vanessa Vale: I have searched on Google and Amazon several times, her website and her twitter site. She no longer lists Cowgirls and Aliens as one of her books. Any reference to The Alien's Mate, including Vale's personal accounts defaults to Grace Goodwin's book The Alien's Mate. I searched under just, Cowgirls and Aliens and just Vanessa Vale. All results were the same. It's like she has totally divorced herself from the book and turned it over entirely to Grace Goodwin. It was one of Goodwin's first books and I wonder if Vale took first author for sales purposes. The book sounds more like Goodwin than it does Vale."

Nonetheless, Goodreads policies about author names on editions of a work published under different names still apply.


message 7: by jjdigcam (new)

jjdigcam | 16 comments Appreciate your help, Thanks, JoAnn


back to top