Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

The Woman in the Window
This topic is about The Woman in the Window
Previous BOMs - Authors; E - H > The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn ( Adult Crime/Thriller/Suspense BOM) starts 2 April, 2018

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - rated it 3 stars

Moderators of NBRC | 30933 comments Mod

Synopsis
Anna Fox lives alone—a recluse in her New York City home, unable to venture outside. She spends her day drinking wine (maybe too much), watching old movies, recalling happier times . . . and spying on her neighbors.

Then the Russells move into the house across the way: a father, a mother, their teenage son. The perfect family. But when Anna, gazing out her window one night, sees something she shouldn’t, her world begins to crumble—and its shocking secrets are laid bare.

What is real? What is imagined? Who is in danger? Who is in control? In this diabolically gripping thriller, no one—and nothing—is what it seems.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - rated it 3 stars

What is a BOM (Book of the Month)?

At NRBC we use a more structured approach to our BOMs. We have a discussion leader and a reading date is set to start the book. A reading schedule is posted prior to the start date and discussion questions are posted each day regarding that section of the book.

More info under spoiler
(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Apr 08, 2018 08:59AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Chapter Breakdown

Date Chapters % MPQDs

2&3Apr 1-22 25% Kristie
4&5Apr 23-51 50% Laura
6&7Apr 52-75 76%
8&9Apr 76-100 100%

Breakdown is based on this kindle version of The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn
If using a different version, note that the page numbers may be different to the above

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ruby Coin Book of the Month ~ Ruby Coin Ruby Coin

How to Earn:
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for half DQ participation
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for Writing Disscussion Questions
Ruby Coin 1 Ruby Coin for completing ALL days DQs within month of BOM start
Example of ways to Earn Ruby Coins: (view spoiler)

Learn about Gem coins here

Laura | 9707 comments Anyone else excited to read this one?

Kristie | 3231 comments Laura wrote: "Anyone else excited to read this one?"

I'm excited to read it too, Laura. Unfortunately, my library book has already come in and is due back on the 30th, so I'll have to read it a bit early. I'm looking forward to the discussion though.

Laura | 9707 comments Hi Kristie! Awesome! Are you up for writing the first set of DQ'S or do you already have too much on your plate?

Kristie | 3231 comments I could do the first day, if the breakdown is up soon because I will probably start reading tomorrow and will need to know where to stop for questions. If you’re not planning to do the breakdown soon, I could do the last day instead.

Laura | 9707 comments Kristie wrote: "I could do the first day, if the breakdown is up soon because I will probably start reading tomorrow and will need to know where to stop for questions. If you’re not planning to do the breakdown so..."

Breakdown posted! Lots of chapters. Does that still work?

Kristie | 3231 comments Yes, that'll work.

Kristie | 3231 comments Here's a link to a short, little Q&A with the author for anyone that's interested: https://www.goodreads.com/interviews/...

Laura | 9707 comments Kristie wrote: "Yes, that'll work."

Wonderful!

message 13: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - rated it 3 stars

Breakdown posted HERE

Temitayomiyoshiseun Jemison | 13 comments Laura wrote: "Anyone else excited to read this one?"

I am excited to read this book I really believe it will be enjoyable.

Laura | 9707 comments Kristie wrote: "Here's a link to a short, little Q&A with the author for anyone that's interested: https://www.goodreads.com/interviews/..."

Oh boy! Now I 'm hooked! Thanks for posting that Kristie! Definitely interesting.

message 16: by Geri (new) - rated it 3 stars

Geri | 2046 comments This was an interesting book! It was kind of a cross between Girl on the Train and the movie Rear Window. I’d offer to do questions, but I’ll be in the middle of a move. Not sure how much reading I can do that week.

Laura | 9707 comments Once I saw " Tana French " I was hooked!
Good luck in your move Geri.

message 18: by Geri (new) - rated it 3 stars

Geri | 2046 comments Laura wrote: "Once I saw " Tana French " I was hooked!
Good luck in your move Geri."

Compared to Tana French IS a good thing! Thanks! Moving is stressful. But I am looking forward to the move!

Veronika Valerievna | 9 comments Hmmm... I would like to participate this month) Not my genre, but it is good to do something new from time to time, yes? So why not?) Failed one of the last BOM, but still wanting to try another one)

Laura | 9707 comments Veronika wrote: "Hmmm... I would like to participate this month) Not my genre, but it is good to do something new from time to time, yes? So why not?) Failed one of the last BOM, but still wanting to try another one)"

Thanks for joining us Veronika! I hope you like this one even though its not a book you might normally pick up.

Kathy Richardson  (kathy_richardson_wa) | 43 comments In! Going to roam the bookstore for this today. Just finishing up The Great Alone (terrific btw) will be ready by start time!

Laura | 9707 comments Loved the Great Alone!!

Laura | 9707 comments I got a little ahead of myself and started this one! I'm interested to see what happens!

Kristie | 3231 comments Day 1 Discussion Questions:
Chapters 1-22 (25%)

1. This is an author debut. What made you want to read it? What do you think of the writing so far?

2. What are your first impressions of the characters? We have Anna, her husband, Ed, their daughter, Olivia, Anna’s tenant, David, Anna’s new neighbors, Jane & Alistair, and their son, Ethan, and Dr. Fielding.

3. It seems that Anna tries to fill her time with online pursuits, people watching, movies, and therapies, but also with a lot of alcohol. I can see how it would be easy to get bored without leaving the house for months. What type of activities might you fill your time with if you couldn’t leave the house for an extended period of time?

4. Any thoughts about Anna sharing her information online? She previously shared that she is a therapist and appears to be giving free therapy sessions online. I know she only shared her name additionally, but she stated that she usually doesn’t. I wonder if she’s sharing more than usual and if that will affect her online safety.

5. I’m really curious as to what happened with Anna and her husband and the vacation. It seems like something significant. Any guesses or is it still too early to tell?

6. We ended the section with Anna giving David a knife to lend to Alistair. Alistair gave me a creepy vibe. Do you have any concerns with lending a knife to Alistair?

Kristie | 3231 comments Day 1 Discussion Questions:
Chapters 1-22 (25%)

1. This is an author debut. What made you want to read it? What do you think of the writing so far?

I was interested mostly because of the buzz around it. People seem to love this book. It has a lot of high ratings and rave reviews.

2. What are your first impressions of the characters? We have Anna, her husband, Ed, their daughter, Olivia, Anna’s tenant, David, Anna’s new neighbors, Jane & Alistair, and their son, Ethan, and Dr. Fielding.

Anna annoys me. Basically, I think she makes some not so great decisions. She seems like she is going to be the typical unreliable narrator. I'm not sure what is up with Ed & Olivia yet. Anna seems pretty close with Ed for two people who are separated and does she not see Olivia? David seems like a good guy initially. Jane also seems like a nice woman. Alstair gives off the overbearing husband and father vibe. Ethan seems sheltered and I don't know what to think of Dr. Fielding. Of course, those are initial thoughts and are probably just what the author wants us to think. lol

3. It seems that Anna tries to fill her time with online pursuits, people watching, movies, and therapies, but also with a lot of alcohol. I can see how it would be easy to get bored without leaving the house for months. What type of activities might you fill your time with if you couldn’t leave the house for an extended period of time?

I would do a lot of reading, of course, but also movies. I would probably also do art, painting and drawing. I have no idea what I would do with all of it after I created it though. I'm sure I'd waste a lot of time online too, especially on Goodreads.

4. Any thoughts about Anna sharing her information online? She previously shared that she is a therapist and appears to be giving free therapy sessions online. I know she only shared her name additionally, but she stated that she usually doesn’t. I wonder if she’s sharing more than usual and if that will affect her online safety.

I feel like this granny person is a set up. I think she's starting out small telling her name, but she'll end up giving more information and maybe end up in trouble. I'm worried about it because it's out of character for her.

5. I’m really curious as to what happened with Anna and her husband and the vacation. It seems like something significant. Any guesses or is it still too early to tell?

I think it's too soon to tell, but I feel like there's something there.

6. We ended the section with Anna giving David a knife to lend to Alistair. Alistair gave me a creepy vibe. Do you have any concerns with lending a knife to Alistair?

I feel like it's a bad idea lending him a knife! He's creepy. Somehow, I feel like it could incriminate Anna.

message 26: by Laura (last edited Apr 02, 2018 04:13PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura | 9707 comments 1. This is an author debut. What made you want to read it? What do you think of the writing so far?
I also liked the buzz about this book; when compared to Tana French who is one of my favorite writers then I needed to get my hands on a copy!

I'm not sure what I think of Anna yet. I thought Ethan's visit was just weird.
Anna and Ed's relationship is unusual. I need to read more to form an opinion!

Definitely reading, watching movies, Goodreads, cooking and baking. Being housebound might make me pick up my crocheting again!

I think that formly being a professional she would know better not to give that information out. Shouldn't she know better not to mix her medications with alcohol?

I think it has something to do with their daughter Olivia but I 'm not 100% sure. I'm a tiny bit ahead and I 'm just at this part where we are about to find out what happened!!

Don't give the knife to Alistair! I don't trust Alistar either.

Kristie | 3231 comments Oh, Laura, I've wanted to learn to crochet. I might try to finally do that too, if I was housebound. It's a good thing you can find almost anything online, both yarn delivered and lessons.

I agree about the mixing of meds with alcohol. It is very frustrating to me. I keep trying to tell myself that she has a drinking problem, so the struggle is different for her. Besides, that's what's supposed to play into her being such an unreliable narrator.

message 28: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather (hlyntunstl) | 43 comments 1. This is an author debut. What made you want to read it? What do you think of the writing so far?
I was interested based on the blurb and my hairdresser highly recommended it. So far, I feel like the writing is geared towards giving the reader a window (pun intended) into Anna’s life as an agoraphobic so we get a taste of her limited world view.

Anna: A woman who was confident in all areas of her life until an incident made her lose control. The fact that she is dealing with a condition that she would normally treat, plus feeling as if she caused the currently-unknown incident, seems to make the loss of control worse. The carelessness with wine and medication appears to be her (unhealthy) way to cope.
Ed & Olivia: I think he still loves his wife and misses who she used to be. It feels as if he left with their daughter because their house with happy memories has become Anna’s prison. It’s not clear to me yet how far they’ve moved away.
Jane, Alistair & Ethan: Ethan and Jane seem to be an open, friendly people looking for a friend. Ethan seems to be especially lonely. Comments from both seem to indicate that their home life isn’t as rosy as it may appear at first glance. Alistair’s visit to Anna’s home with the way he phrased his question without mentioning his wife was very creepy. I would stay far away but I feel that Anna has a connection with Ethan & Jane so she won’t stop watching.
David: He seems odd but is good to Anna so far. I can’t tell if he has an agenda.
I don’t have a strong opinion on the other characters mentioned yet.

I would read even more than I do now. I’ve always wanted to try a meal delivery service also.

I work from home full-time so, while I’m not agoraphobic, this reminds me that I do need to do a better job of getting out of the house.

Everyone should be careful with what they share but I didn’t see this as a safety issue. It doesn’t appear she has shared her full name and, while not impossible to find her, she’s not sharing her direct contact information so it would take some work. I think it’s her way to still help overs in a way she clearly enjoyed and cannot help herself. I was more curious how much they know about her agoraphobia. I wonder if the one man who was trying to get her to talk about old moves could be her husband trying to reach out in another way.(not reading ahead so this is just a guess).

It’s too early to tell other than it involved snow. I wonder if it involved a structure collapse under snow considering her thoughts during the panic attack and the information we have about her injuries and therapy.

I didn’t see it as her lending a knife to Alistair but her loaning a knife to David who was helping Alistair. The story appeared to be related to cleaning up post-move and sounded reasonable. I thought Anna’s hesitation was more about someone she trusts working for/with someone she doesn’t.

Laura | 9707 comments Kristie wrote: "Oh, Laura, I've wanted to learn to crochet. I might try to finally do that too, if I was housebound. It's a good thing you can find almost anything online, both yarn delivered and lessons.

I agree..."

I made so many baby blankets for my cousins years ago when we were all having children. I basically taught myself... I used a double crochet stitch and then a fancy combination to make a pretty border. My last project was/is a granny square crocheted blanket. The squares are finished ; some of the granny squares are together but its not finished. I find I don't have the patience anymore to piece it together.
My sister in law taught herself how to crochet and can follow patterns! She is much better than me.
Fun, creative, relaxing talent to have!

If you are artsy and creative you 'd be able to teach yourself no problem; Kristy. ( Youtube wasn't huge when I taught myself!)

Laura | 9707 comments Day 2 Discussion Questions ; April 4 & 5 chapters 23-51 (50%)

7. What did you think of the screaming scene from house 207? Did Jane's husband hurt her? Was it the radio? Is Anna making things up?

8. What did you make of Ethan coming over to Anna's a second time and crying? Something is not right at house 207. Any ideas?

9. Were you surprised that Anna was hallucinating and the neighbor Jane really wasn't stabbed? I think I was more surprised when Allistar introduced his wife and Anna had never met her. I'm intrigued to see how this plays out.

10. Anna was talking to GrannyLizzie and telling her about Ed and Olivia. What do you think happened to Anna and her family on their trip?

11. Kristie talked earlier about Anna being an unreliable narrator, now that we 've seen evidence that Anna is drinking way too much ( alcoholic?) do you agree or disagree with Kristie's opinion? Why or why not? Do you like Anna' s character?

12. Any predictions for how the book will end?

13. Does anyone else find it strange that Anna's husband Ed hasn't mentioned the drinking? If Anna has everything delivered and she isn't working how does she pay for the liquor? Does it not show on his credit statement?

Kristie | 3231 comments Laura wrote: "Kristie wrote: "Oh, Laura, I've wanted to learn to crochet. I might try to finally do that too, if I was housebound. It's a good thing you can find almost anything online, both yarn delivered and l..."

My mother tried to teach me when I was younger, but she's not very good at teaching and I'm a bit of a perfectionist. We both ended up frustrated, so I think I have a mental block on it. lol I have picked up a couple of books with "easy" patterns to make. I think some day when I find that elusive extra time I may try to teach myself.

Kristie | 3231 comments I have finished the book, so some of these questions I can't really answer. I used a few ending spoilers. Please do not click on them unless you have finished the book. I figured out some of the ending twists before they happened, so I didn't want to put what my honest responses would have been, as they would have given away parts of the ending.

Day 2 Discussion Questions ; April 4 & 5 chapters 23-51 (50%)

7. What did you think of the screaming scene from house 207? Did Jane's husband hurt her? Was it the radio? Is Anna making things up?

At this point, I definitely believe Jane's husband hurt her. I can't say whether he did or not, but I still want to believe Anna. I know she's unreliable, but I feel like something's going on.

8. What did you make of Ethan coming over to Anna's a second time and crying? Something is not right at house 207. Any ideas?

That was a little weird. Definitely something going on in Ethan's house. Teenage boys don't typically go around crying in front of strange adults.

9. Were you surprised that Anna was hallucinating and the neighbor Jane really wasn't stabbed? I think I was more surprised when Allistar introduced his wife and Anna had never met her. I'm intrigued to see how this plays out.

ending spoiler (view spoiler)

10. Anna was talking to GrannyLizzie and telling her about Ed and Olivia. What do you think happened to Anna and her family on their trip?

I had no ideas about this while reading and was curious about it the whole time. However, ending spoiler (view spoiler)

11. Kristie talked earlier about Anna being an unreliable narrator, now that we 've seen evidence that Anna is drinking way too much ( alcoholic?) do you agree or disagree with Kristie's opinion? Why or why not? Do you like Anna' s character?

I am so frustrated by her inability to stop drinking and mixing her meds with her alcohol. Plus, it seems she just doesn't take her medications properly anyway. There are parts of her character that I like (her determination to help others) and other parts that I don't (her self-sabotaging behaviors). I can't say much more because I obviously have more information behind the behaviors now.

I will say that I figured out parts of the ending ahead of time, but there were still parts that surprised me. I am curious to see if other people find the twists surprising.

message 33: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather (hlyntunstl) | 43 comments Laura wrote: "Kristie wrote: "Oh, Laura, I've wanted to learn to crochet. I might try to finally do that too, if I was housebound. It's a good thing you can find almost anything online, both yarn delivered and l..."
My grandmother taught me. There are some sites and online classes where you can teach yourself. I’m working on learning Tunisian Crochet now. It looks like knitting, which I never got the hang of.

Laura | 9707 comments Heather wrote: "Laura wrote: "Kristie wrote: "Oh, Laura, I've wanted to learn to crochet. I might try to finally do that too, if I was housebound. It's a good thing you can find almost anything online, both yarn d..."

Heather, come back and post a picture for us! I'd love to see your finished work.

Laura | 9707 comments Anyone up for writing discussion questions for our last day?

message 36: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather (hlyntunstl) | 43 comments Laura wrote: "Heather wrote: "Laura wrote: "Kristie wrote: "Oh, Laura, I've wanted to learn to crochet. I might try to finally do that too, if I was housebound. It's a good thing you can find almost anything onl..."
I’m still on a “swatch” phase but, if I can figure out how to post a picture, I will.

Kathy Richardson  (kathy_richardson_wa) | 43 comments Day 1 Discussion Questions:
Chapters 1-22 (25%)

1. This is an author debut. What made you want to read it? What do you think of the writing so far? I am enjoying the BOMs this year - this was the April offering.

2. What are your first impressions of the characters? We have Anna, her husband, Ed, their daughter, Olivia, Anna’s tenant, David, Anna’s new neighbors, Jane & Alistair, and their son, Ethan, and Dr. Fielding. I love Ed and Anna's dialog (though I'll say what I think about that a little later), I like Jane - what a card and what an aggressive personality. Not something I would expect with a controlling husband. Nice to see the author breaking stereotypes. The other characters aren't developed enough for me yet to have an opinion.

3. It seems that Anna tries to fill her time with online pursuits, people watching, movies, and therapies, but also with a lot of alcohol. I can see how it would be easy to get bored without leaving the house for months. What type of activities might you fill your time with if you couldn’t leave the house for an extended period of time? hmmm good question. To not be able to leave the house would be something for sure. It's too bad she can't go up into that garden. I would want to garden (outside). Inside, probably read books and books and more books. Binge watch tv and movies. SUPER clean my house. Play with my dogs :)

4. Any thoughts about Anna sharing her information online? She previously shared that she is a therapist and appears to be giving free therapy sessions online. I know she only shared her name additionally, but she stated that she usually doesn’t. I wonder if she’s sharing more than usual and if that will affect her online safety. I agree with another BOM'er it feels like a bit of a set up. OR maybe she's coming out of her fugue like the good Doctor said (until he prescribed more drugs).

5. I’m really curious as to what happened with Anna and her husband and the vacation. It seems like something significant. Any guesses or is it still too early to tell? (view spoiler)

6. We ended the section with Anna giving David a knife to lend to Alistair. Alistair gave me a creepy vibe. Do you have any concerns with lending a knife to Alistair? Allistair was definitely creepy, if not a little unbelievable - who would come to a stranger's door and ask if they had had company. weird. Let's see what happens next can't wait!

message 38: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather (hlyntunstl) | 43 comments As someone who regularly loses sleep due to reading an “I can’t put it down” book, trying to stay on schedule and not read ahead so I can enjoy the discussion questions is KILLING ME (pardon the pun)!!!

The fact that Anna is mixing pills and wine makes you question what she sees but I do think she saw Jane 1.0 stabbed. What I’m not sure of is if her husband did it. I don’t recall any scenes where Anna saw both Alistair and Jane 1.0 together so who knows what is going on.

Anna could be his outlet and a sympathetic ear. He appears to be lonely and, even with her own issues, I can see how she would give off a caring vibe.

While I was surprised at the intro of Jane 2.0, I still think she saw 1.0 get stabbed. I love guessing to see if I can figure out the end game!!

We still don’t know but I’m now guessing something happened on the ride home with the storm. I’m still only sure that snow is involved and possibly something collapsing on her. Kristie has me suspicions of GrannyLizzie so many she’s in on my imagined plot (see 12 & 13).

I agree but think that is part of the use of first person in this story. We’re supposed to wonder what is real or not. I’m not a huge fan of first person books but it is working for me here. I don’t dislike Anna but I do feel sorry for her. She went from a succession professional with a happy family to a someone who is separated, recovering from a major injury, unable to leave her home and becoming dependent on meds and alcohol...all in less than a year

13. Does anyone else find it strange that Anna's husband Ed hasn't mentioned the drinking? If Anna has everything delivered and she isn't working how does she pay for the liquor? Does it not show on his credit statement?

I combined these as my answers go together.
Since we now know Ed asked for a separation that appeared to be a surprise from Anna’s point of view, I wonder if he is involved with setting this all up. They are in an affluent area and are likely not hurting for money (almost 2 million for a neighboring house!!). If the money is really Anna’s (which would explain why Ed doesn’t know/care about the excessive drinking), maybe he’s playing up her love of old movies and gaslighting her. The disgust I got from him when they were discussing the separation could have led to anger and a plot for revenge. I hope we get the full story there.

message 39: by Veronika (last edited Apr 04, 2018 11:48PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Veronika Valerievna | 9 comments A little bit late, but still want to answer first days` questions)
I wanted to read it just to change some things) And to start something different from my usual genres and authors. For me the book is easy and quick to read. I have found no difficulties in understanding everything and trying to imagine characters, surroundings or events.

Well, I can`t describe Dr. Fielding, because we see him just in some brief moments, and it is not enough yet for building the whole picture.
David: So far I can say he is a normal man. Lives in his room, pays the rent, has some private life. Does some work for the house and Anna. He seems pretty reliable, because can answer any call from Anna. Moreover, he doesn`t seem to worry about her bad habits.
Ed and Olivia: I think they really still love Anna, both of them. And miss old times when they were together. Or, at least, they try to stay good friends. Ed seems to worry about his family and atmosphere in it. Even if there are some quarrels.
Anna: I like that she is trying to be positive still with all what happens to her. And she is finding something good in all things. Yet, she also understands that there are some serious problems. Anna couldn`t be a real human if there were not some difficulties while she tries to cope with her situation.
Jane and Alister: They both are trying to seem nice, but their relationships are more complicated. I just don`t know how to say it in other words)
Ethan: He is still a mysteryto me. So far he seems a good boy as they all say. But we don`t know yet if he is having some sort of hidden part too.

Oh….. I would finish all games that I didn`t)Read books, watch movies and TV shows, do some art, spend some time online.

So far can see nothing about that scene)We`ll see how it goes)

It is still too early to guess. May be some car accident with the snow or storm?)

Yeah, Alistair is a really strange person. And yeah, lending a knife can be a pretty bad idea)

Veronika Valerievna | 9 comments 7. What did you think of the screaming scene from house 207? Did Jane's husband hurt her? Was it the radio? Is Anna making things up?

I think something could really happen in this family. I want to believe Anna so far.

As we see, he understood that he can talk to Anna at any moment. She is easy to talk to. Ethan is sometimes too sensitive about things. As many teenagers are. And sometimes it is really easier to talk to other people, not your family. At least, as I see it so far)

Yeah, this was a great surprise for me also. But I am sure that there was a first version of Jane)It could not be only imagination, right?)

I still think there was a car accident, because there are no other incidents so far)

Kristie`s opinion can be true, but only in some parts. I still am sorry for Anna because of the problems with her family. Anna is like a real person - there are some traits I like in her, and there some I don`t. Overall, I am more sympathizing her, than not.

Not the slitest idea)

It could be Ed`s money. Or Anna is doing something else we don`t know about) There are still many questions in their relashionship.

Celeste (pinkbear) | 49 comments 1. This is an author debut. What made you want to read it? What do you think of the writing so far?

I wanted to join in on a book discussion :) My first thought was that it was going to be a lot like The Girl On The Train especially when I learnt that Anna has a drinking problem which gives the impression that she will be unreliable main character.

Anna's definitely a drunk! Ed seems to be a really patient person, he answers all Anna's call very cheerfully maybe he puts in the extra effort for Olivia or maybe the separation was Ed's choice? I like Olivia see comes through as very vibrant.

David is very boring so far I think he is just the errand-boy

Anna's new neighbours; I actually thought that something romantic was going to happen between Anna and Ethan! I wondered to myself that if it does happen what will be the consequences of that and how will that tie in with the mystery & thriller genre. Jane and Alistair I believe they have lots of secrets to hide.

I would put more effort into getting back into my drawing and writing, no excuses if I'm homebound! Could also do a online course, plenty of Universities/Colleges online now!

Learn how to make CLOTHES and embroidery! My mother was a cross-stitcher so I wouldn't mind giving that a go.

And learn how to make sushi!!

I think she might be sharing more then usual, she might be trying to reach out to someone and Grandma Lizzie she decided was the perfect person as she's Grandmotherly and they give you that warm feeling.

Anna mentions her injuries I'm thinking she was either attacked or it was a car accident, they're the only two things I can think that would cause the damage to her throat.

I don't think it plays a important part, I think the knife was just to create suspense.

Celeste (pinkbear) | 49 comments I am late posting the first set of questions even though I had read through them previously and the above answers are my first thoughts.

I did think it was Alistair who hurt Jane, I don't think it was the radio. I'm really conflicted over whether or not she saw something, I guess she did see something but its probably is not what Anna thinks she saw, but the meds and the drinking make you think she didn't see anything at all.

I think Ethan likes Anna's attention, it could solely have been Ethan's idea to give Anna the candle and his mother had nothing to do with it, he could also be trying to reach out to someone, he probably already knew that Anna never leaves the house from the neighbours and chose her to run too, since she is always going to be home. Something strange is definitely going on in that house if Alistair is that controlling, someone is going to snap and lash out.

Nah. Anna mixing meds with alcohol was a dead give away that what she saw wasn't going to match what happened next.

I wonder if Jane#2 is Jane #1 in disguise she could have had surgery or maybe it could be something like what happen in The Woman In Cabin 10. Ethan also said "You've never met my mother" to Anna, maybe Ethan was telling to truth it could be that neither Jane is his mother.

I wonder if GrannyLizzie is some else entirely, you never know who you're really talking to over the net. I thinking a car accident is happened on the trip.

I like Anna's character, she knows better than to mix alcohol with medication but her mixing the two could be a sign of how badly she was traumatised. Naturally I feel for her because of how messed up she is but she showed courage and determination to fight her phobia and leave the house to help Jane #1, I believe Anna appreciates Jane #1, because having that person visit you when you can't leave the house would mean so much to her.

Alistair's wife Jane could have died before the events of the book and he has found new women; manipulated them and created new Janes! Like Ethan said, Anna has never met his mother, it makes me think there was someone before Jane #1 and #2

I think Ed delibreatey pretends everything is okay for the sake of Olivia.

Either Anna has a trust fund, she could be on stress-leave from work and still receiving a pay-check most likely not her full-pay but some of it or she is receiving compensation! It could also be Ed paying her bills and ignoring the liquor purchases or maybe he just doesn't look at the statement at all.

message 43: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - rated it 3 stars

Day 3 Discussion Questions - 6 & 7 April

14. We learn that Anna and her family were in a car accident. Were you surprised about that?

15. Who is the person that was calling Anna while she was driving( with her family right before the accident) ? Her partner? A lover? Did she cheat on Ed? Is that why they don't live together?

16. Why was Olivia so upset before the crash? Any ideas?

17. Is David a bad person for having done "jail time"? Do you believe in second chances? Why didn't Anna ask him more questions instead of just accepting his explanation?

18. Anna finally makes it outside and follows the "Jane" woman to the coffee shop. Is it Jane? Is Anna seeing things that aren't because of the meds and alcohol mixing?

19. I have to admit I'm not 100% sure yet what is going on except that Anna and her husband aren't together and there was a car accident. Has anyone else figured it out?

20. So, I finished our required reading section and WOW! Just before the officer explains everything I figure out that Anna's family is (view spoiler). Did you?

21. Do you like Finn's writing style? What do you like and dislike about it?

message 44: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new) - rated it 3 stars

Heather wrote: "Laura wrote: "Heather wrote: "Laura wrote: "Kristie wrote: "Oh, Laura, I've wanted to learn to crochet. I might try to finally do that too, if I was housebound. It's a good thing you can find almos..."

This thread below gives instructions on how to post a picture.
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Kathy Richardson  (kathy_richardson_wa) | 43 comments Day 2 Discussion Questions ; April 4 & 5 chapters 23-51 (50%)

7. What did you think of the screaming scene from house 207? Did Jane's husband hurt her? Was it the radio? Is Anna making things up? The more I read this, and the comments from others – I don’t believe ANYTHING that the narrator claims. 😊

8. What did you make of Ethan coming over to Anna's a second time and crying? Something is not right at house 207. Any ideas? again – I don’t know what is going on. My big theory is that most of this isn’t happening. Ethan represents her daughter in person perhaps? Whatever horrible thing happened to her family – this family might represent? Husband she wants to make into a ‘bad guy’ really isn’t (Ed in person at the weekend trip, vs the nice ed on the phone)

9. Were you surprised that Anna was hallucinating and the neighbor Jane really wasn't stabbed? I think I was more surprised when Allistar introduced his wife and Anna had never met her. I'm intrigued to see how this plays out. nope. The author has told us several times that her drinking and meds together is BAD NEWS (duh) so hallucinations are not a surprise. What is surprising is that she, being a doctor herself isn’t even trying to mend. She’s purposefully drinking more, swigging from the bottle etc. I think the first Jane she ‘met’ was a combination of the people in her film noirs, and the person she used to be (chess player, same birthday etc.) – this lady is a little nuts.

10. Anna was talking to GrannyLizzie and telling her about Ed and Olivia. What do you think happened to Anna and her family on their trip? I put this in my last note as well – but the spoiler function completely hid my answer. I think the husband and daughter died on the way home from that trip, which is what set her agoraphobia into motion. The calls on the phone with ‘Ed and Livvy’ are not real (she doesn’t even plug in her land line, she told the cop she hardly uses her phone, and yet in every chapter she’s on her ‘phone’ talking to her family?! I also think Granny Lizzie is a fabrication – again, someone she has created as an extension of herself (her husband died) to try and subconsciously work out how to cure her fears.

11. Kristie talked earlier about Anna being an unreliable narrator, now that we 've seen evidence that Anna is drinking way too much ( alcoholic?) do you agree or disagree with Kristie's opinion? Why or why not? Do you like Anna' s character? the author has done a marvelous job of creating a flawed character and unreliable narrator. I remember when reading Gone Girl and Girl on the Train how much I disliked the female characters – but really in the end – they were both marvelously written. AND boy o boy – how she can drink that much without barfing or overdosing is beyond me (if my other theory about her making up the first Jane etc. stands)

12. Any predictions for how the book will end? nope – but can’t wait to find out.

13. Does anyone else find it strange that Anna's husband Ed hasn't mentioned the drinking? If Anna has everything delivered and she isn't working how does she pay for the liquor? Does it not show on his credit statement? again – I think Ed is dead and the conversations are all in her mind as a way to escape her reality. He is MUCH nicer/happier in the fake conversations, as opposed to him at the cabin retreat she shared with GranLizzie. There are also a few easter eggs the author is slowly revealing – for instance - why didn’t Ed take his drafting table with him to his new home (still in the basement with David). I think the family must have money to help support her habits in NYC without an income – maybe a big life insurance policy, or something. All that delivery can’t be cheap, and does she still have house payments on her brownstone? That can’t be cheap either, her rental income (if that’s even real), can’t be that much. 😊

message 46: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather (hlyntunstl) | 43 comments 14. We learn that Anna and her family were in a car accident. Were you surprised about that? I wasn’t surprised about the accident but was about the deaths based on the prior reading.

15. Who is the person that was calling Anna while she was driving( with her family right before the accident) ? Her partner? A lover? Did she cheat on Ed? Is that why they don't live together? Based on Ed’s post-crash reaction and his actions that I think led to the crash itself, I’m guessing a lover. I’m also guessing her lover is her partner, Dr. Brill.

16. Why was Olivia so upset before the crash? Any ideas?I think this was about her parents separating. Anna wanted to wait but Ed insisted she be told right away and that’s when Olivia decided she wanted to leave right then.

17. Is David a bad person for having done "jail time"? Do you believe in second chances? Why didn't Anna ask him more questions instead of just accepting his explanation? He’s not a bad person for that and I do believe in second chances. I don’t think Anna questioned him because deep down, she trusts him (rightly or wrongly). I think the only reason she threw him under the bus was because everyone was attacking her and she could see that her illusion was about to be broken.

18. Anna finally makes it outside and follows the "Jane" woman to the coffee shop. Is it Jane? Is Anna seeing things that aren't because of the meds and alcohol mixing? She followed Jane 2.0 but that doesn’t preclude her seeing things either. I think that’s when someone snuck in to take those photos because her door was open the entire time she was gone and she found the closet open. It could be part of her hallucinations but I still think someone is trying to play games with her mind.

19. I have to admit I'm not 100% sure yet what is going on except that Anna and her husband aren't together and there was a car accident. Has anyone else figured it out?
20. So, I finished our required reading section and WOW! Just before the officer explains everything I figure out that Anna's family is (view spoiler). Did you?

Another combo response. By the time the reveal was made in the book, there had been enough clues that I figured it out but not before this last reading group. The phone that she couldn’t access despite talking to her family regularly and Nick Takada saying he heard about and was sorry for what happened were my big clues. That, combined with how Ed wasn’t nasty like he was prior to the accident along with other comments about why her family wasn’t more concerned about her drinking made it not a surprise by the time it was revealed.

21. Do you like Finn's writing style? What do you like and dislike about it I feel like the writing is confusing at times but think that may be part of the portrayal of Anna’s issues. If that’s the case, I love the writing. Overall, I am enjoying the book and am eager to see how it ends.

message 47: by Heather (new) - added it

Heather (hlyntunstl) | 43 comments Kathy wrote: "Day 2 Discussion Questions ; April 4 & 5 chapters 23-51 (50%)

7. What did you think of the screaming scene from house 207? Did Jane's husband hurt her? Was it the radio? Is Anna making things up?..."

You were faster than I was on picking up nice vs. mean Ed before I did. I attributed it to guilt that he was gone with her trapped in their old house.

Victoria | 1132 comments Day 1 Discussion Questions:
Chapters 1-22 (25%)

I was a little interested in it from all the buzz, but wasn't planing on picking it up. I mostly decided to read it because I saw it in the bookstore the day this group started reading it and thought I'd give it ago. Of course I'm behind on the discussion, but oh well.

Anna is a drunk, but I rather like her. I expected her to be a really unlikable character, but instead I find myself sympathizing with her a bit. I also like her and Ed's dialogue and really curious to learn more about what happened to her and their relationship.
There is definitely something weird going on with the Russel family, I don't know what yet or what I really think of the three character, but will just have to read more to find out :)

Reading, obviously lol. And probably similar things as Anna such as movies, learning a language, online games, etc. Hopefully I'd skip the drinking part. I'd probably work out as well and take up a hobby like knitting.

I was thinking that as well. I think it could be just progress in her life, having her open up to people more easily. Or, it could be away someone gets to her to harm her... or both, but I'm thinking it's important in some way.

I don't know! She mentioned injuries, but I think it was more than getting into a car accident or something similar. I'm thinking she may have been attacked.

Alistair is really creepy! Don't know if the knife itself will play out to anything, but there is definitely something going on with Alistair (or Jane)

Victoria | 1132 comments Day 2 Discussion Questions ; April 4 & 5 chapters 23-51 (50%)

I think Anna heard the screen, but between the alcohol and the drugs I'm guessing she's going to be an unreliable narrator so it's possible she made it all up.

I think it's a little strange seeing as he just met her, but than again he doesn't know anyone else and as a children's psychologist she was liekly comforting for him to be around (despite being drunk). But did he go over because he wanted to, because his dad wanted him to check on her, or did Anna imagine the whole thing?

I'm thinking what she saw was the truth, or at least part of the truth. I think their is definetly something going on with that family and who knows if Jane is really Jane. And it's really suspicious that she doesn't have an online presence.

I want to know why Ed wants to seperate and why he thinks her disgusting. And I want to know what happened to Anna. Based on what we're told so far I imagine they got into a car accident during the storm, but I think a lot more had to happen to Anna for her to have become agoraphobic.

I actually do like Anna's character - wasn't expecting to, but I do think she's unreliable. We don't have anyother POV to prove what she's saying/seeing is right or wrong and the drugs and alcohol definetly make me suspect.

Some, but nothing with substance. I'm actually trying not to think too much about the ending and just want to wait and see what happens.

I was wondering about that as well. I think Ed either doesn't know the extent of her drinking, doesn't give a shit, or something else entirely is going on there. And I'm thinking she was a very successful child's psychologist and that's how she has the money.

message 50: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Apr 08, 2018 08:59AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Day 4 Discussion Questions 8 & 9 Apr
22. It seems I was correct in some of my earlier guesses! Anna did have an affair with her partner. Sometimes its not so great when you are right. I didn't want that to be true! What guesses/predictions did you make that were correct regarding the book?

23. I'm worried about Anna and her ability to cope with her life and what happened to her family. I'm glad that the scene with the pill bottles lined up was a red herring! Phew, what a relief to be wrong on this . I thought she would take her own life. Are there any predictions you made that were wrong like mine?

24. Did your opinions/feelings change toward any of the characters and why?

25. What did you think of the debut read? Did you like the ending? Did you like the book? Why or why not? What was your rating?

26. Did you read the interview with author A.J. Finn that Kristie posted in message 11? What did you think about that?

27. Are you going to read Finn's next book? Will you recommend this read to any of your friends?

Thanks everyone for reading, participating and joining us! ( latecomers are still welcome!) A shout out to Kristie; thanks Kristie for writing a set of DQ's for us.

« previous 1